Exposure: f/22, 1/8 sec
    Film: Fuji Velvia 50

Gear: Hasselblad Xpan + 45mm lens
    Exposure: f/11, 1/60 sec

Gear: Hasselblad Xpan + 45mm lens
    Exposure: f/5.6, 1/60 sec

All slides were scanned using Epson 2450 Photo Scanner.
    Last edited by jasphotography; 21st December 2003 at 02:32 PM.

nice! 2nd shot still got converging, i thought MF could be the exemption

Are they native panoramics on the velvia? Sorry i have little knowledge about MF

Originally posted by tomshen
    Tom, displaying one's ignorance of optical and perspective fundamentals in public isn't always a good thing.

Converging verticals and horizontals occur with any lens/film system where the film plane is not parallel with the subject. The problem is made worse with wide angle lenses in most cases.
    Last edited by Ian; 19th October 2002 at 09:35 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

I sensed that by your comments, converging verticle is ALWAYS NOT a good thing. But, there are cases when you can turn things around to your advantage, including converging vertical...

Personally, I believe the 2nd shot works rather well by exaggerating the perspective of converging verticle, hence creating a more dynamic and graphic image.

Are they native panoramics on the velvia? Sorry i have little knowledge about MF
    Hasselblad Xpan has dual formats: Normal 35mm (24 x 36mm) or panoramic (24 x 65mm) which make FULL USE of the film without masking/cropping. So yes, they are native panoramic on the velvia.

The first 2 pic is excellent.
    Canon Lover :)

Originally posted by jasphotography

Personally, I believe the 2nd shot works rather well by exaggerating the perspective of converging verticle, hence creating a more dynamic and graphic image.
    I agree with your statement but I don't see it in your image. In your case, the converging lines are not strong or dominating enough to produce a dynamic image. If the dynamic effect is what you're going for, try go closer and shoot at the foot of the building. Now, you might not get the buildings behind in your frame but sometimes, it works better to isolate something for greater graphical effect.

As for Tom's comment about the converging lines, unless you've got more space to work around, there's nothing much you could have done about it though.

Originally posted by Kit

I agree with your statement but I don't see it in your image. In your case, the converging lines are not strong or dominating enough to produce a dynamic image. If the dynamic effect is what you're going for, try go closer and shoot at the foot of the building. Now, you might not get the buildings behind in your frame but sometimes, it works better to isolate something for greater graphical effect.

As for Tom's comment about the converging lines, unless you've got more space to work around, there's nothing much you could have done about it though.
    It seems that your converging verticle is purely from the building itself but my converging lines are not just those from the building but also the chimney and the diamond-roofsssss.

It seems that your converging verticle is purely from the building itself but my converging lines are not just those from the building but also the chimney and the diamond-roofsssss.
    Yes, I'm talking about the chimney as well. The reason why I said the converging lines are not strong enough is because the lines are too fragmented and too far apart to warrant a dynamic composition.

Originally posted by Kit

Yes, I'm talking about the chimney as well. The reason why I said the converging lines are not strong enough is because the lines are too fragmented and too far apart to warrant a dynamic composition.
    I think it's best that I remain neutral now and let others do the talking & criticising. But, I do really appreciate your contribution.
    One thing for sure is I have been negotiating around this building for 6 years, taken pictures from every conceivable views.

This is one I like best. Nevertheles, see my other pictures of this buiding too:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=11578

Originally posted by Ian

Tom, displaying one's ignorance of optical and perspective fundamentals in public isn't always a good thing.

Converging verticals and horizontals occur with any lens/film system where the film plane is not parallel with the subject. The problem is made worse with wide angle lenses in most cases.
    ok ok I am very straightforward sometimes. Should learn more about fundamentals...

ok ok I am very straightforward sometimes. Should learn more about fundamentals...
    Yep tom you should .. it's not that many months ago since I remember you asking the most basic questions up on IRC as a newbie.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Originally posted by Ian

Yep tom you should .. it's not that many months ago since I remember you asking the most basic questions up on IRC as a newbie.
    hehe, never a shame, I am learning EVERY DAY

hehe, never a shame, I am learning EVERY DAY
    Yes Tom, as my signature says: "Every mistake made is a step closer to success"

With due respect to Ian, everyone has to start somewhere, including myself. Able to learn and discover new things everyday is very rewarding. Photography is such thing that drives us to learn everyday.

My policy is "Don't pretend you know something you don't know".

My policy is "Don't pretend you know something you don't know".
    Very good policy, unfortunately too many people don't follow that....

Originally posted by YSLee

Very good policy, unfortunately too many people don't follow that....
    including yourself?

including yourself?

including yourself?
    Heh, what'd you think? :P

including yourself?

Originally posted by YSLee

Heh, what'd you think? :P
    Oh man, how would I know? First, I am not you and neither will I pretend I am you...

Just a joke! Please don't take it to

Oh man, how would I know? First, I am not you and neither will I pretend I am you...

Just a joke! Please don't take it to
    No offence taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast