Thread: Speed up PC for photo editing? What to upgrade?

Default Speed up PC for photo editing? What to upgrade?

I would love to make my pc faster for photo and video editing. Adobe is trying to help us with some ionstructions on their website but it is not clear how much processing power I gain via replacing one or two components of my desktop. I have read tons of threads on the issue however but I don't seem to find the right way to do it... I would like Lightroom to respond faster when I switch between two images. I would love Portraiture to finish processing the photo I am working on faster in Photoshop, etc My PC: Windows 7, CPU: i7 3770K, Memory 16GB

My questions:
    - How much speed do I gain by upgrading the memory to 32GB?
    - Would an expensive video card help? Which one?
    - Should I upgrade my CPU? Which one do you recommend? Have you done these modifications before?

What is your experience? Which upgrade yielded the best results? Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Speed up PC for photo editing? What to upgrade?

A lot depends on what you are using, PS? or LR?

For LR, ram works much better. For windows 7, not all versions support 32GB here is the limits each version has: http://www.zdnet.com/article/max-mem...bit-windows-7/

For PS, Hard drive space and performance is a lot more important. If you can use SSD drives as your scratch file location, it will speed things up tremendously. Remember scratch disk has to be set to a drive other than where the file being worked on, or where PS is running out from, or where your system OS is on. So you probably need two SSDs.

And for both LR and PS, working on files in SSD is also a great deal faster.

You can check the fastest possible CPU for your mainboard with the board vendor. Then use the typical CPU benchmark sites to see how much you really gain. If it's in the range of 10% you can skip it. You won't notice it in real life.
    Alternatively, check the fastest CPU available with newest boards. Compare this one with your current system. Does the gain justify the expenses?
    Usual showstoppers are hard drives (dd123 mentioned already SSD as alternative), less optimal system configuration (the mentioned scratch disk and other options like system swap) and a Windows installation full of unwanted things. OEM installations tend to be loaded with vendor crap where a fresh installation from a pure Windows media can help a lot.
    EOS

Default Re: Speed up PC for photo editing? What to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You can check the fastest possible CPU for your mainboard with the board vendor. Then use the typical CPU benchmark sites to see how much you really gain. If it's in the range of 10% you can skip it. You won't notice it in real life.
    Alternatively, check the fastest CPU available with newest boards. Compare this one with your current system. Does the gain justify the expenses?
    Usual showstoppers are hard drives (dd123 mentioned already SSD as alternative), less optimal system configuration (the mentioned scratch disk and other options like system swap) and a Windows installation full of unwanted things. OEM installations tend to be loaded with vendor crap where a fresh installation from a pure Windows media can help a lot.
    Thanks so much!!!!!