Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

  1. #1

    Default Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Want to ask those whose cameras use AA-sized rechargeable batteries.

    After they run out of juice in your camera, do you
    1) recharge straight away; or
    2) use them in a secondary device to further discharge them? What appliance do you use, and how long do they stay in there before you recharge?

    I know it's better to drain them as much as possible first before recharging, but 4 cells can only last me half a day of shooting with my camera. By recharging straight away, I currently only alternate between two sets of 4.

    Tell me what you do, thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    For NiMh batteries, it has no memory effect, you can recharge them when it is not completely deplete it charge. But it canít hold the charge for very long, so it is best recharge them before use.

    You can use them for other device until it goes flat, but it is impractical to deplete it completely for every recharge.

    For more info about using and maintaining NiMh battery, please try a google search.

    Hope this help.

  3. #3

    Lightbulb Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    if you are using dslr, reduce the use of lcd.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    NiMh have relatively lesser memory effect as well as charge cycle life than NiCd. Delibrately discharging them is neither necessary nor recommended.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    I thought NiMH did have a memory effect, from what I read in my Canon PowerShot S2 manual.

    OK, trust you guys, and the Internet. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    GP Batteries has a write-up on this for your reading pleasure...

    http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/p...echargable.pdf
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Compare to NiCd batteries, NiMh have lesser memory effect, take good care of them, the NiMh batteries can last longer.



    Btw, do you let your mobile phone battery goes totally flat before recharge it?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    I thought NiMH did have a memory effect, from what I read in my Canon PowerShot S2 manual.

    OK, trust you guys, and the Internet. Thanks!
    NiMh does have a memory effect, but it is so much less that it can be considered negligible. The main issue is that NiMh typically have a lifespan of 300-500 charge cycles versus 1000+ for NiCd so delibrately discharging them and recharging is just a waste of its cycle life.

    Moreover if you delibrately discharge them below a ~1V, you may actually run them into "deep discharge" which damages the battery.

  9. #9
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,148

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    After using in the S2, I will leave them aside and put in fresh ones.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    No, it's Li-ion, so not the same problem... Li-ion needs to be kept charged below 30C to be effective, high temps shorten it's service life.

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Compare to NiCd batteries, NiMh have lesser memory effect, take good care of them, the NiMh batteries can last longer.



    Btw, do you let your mobile phone battery goes totally flat before recharge it?
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    No, it's Li-ion, so not the same problem... Li-ion needs to be kept charged below 30C to be effective, high temps shorten it's service life.
    me cheapo, still using NiMh hp battries..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    No, it's Li-ion, so not the same problem... Li-ion needs to be kept charged below 30C to be effective, high temps shorten it's service life.
    Actually all cell battery will have shorter service life if expose to high temperature, not just Li-ion.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    I thought NiMH did have a memory effect, from what I read in my Canon PowerShot S2 manual.

    OK, trust you guys, and the Internet. Thanks!
    You may want to read some info about the batt from this website, http://www.answers.com/topic/nickel-metal-hydride

  14. #14

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Now I realised, my manual said to recharge only when the message "Change the batteries" is displayed and not before then. Maybe the advice is not because of memory effect, but to reduce frequency of recharging so as to extend cycle life.

    OK, so no contradiction between the manual and the world at large!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    Now I realised, my manual said to recharge only when the message "Change the batteries" is displayed and not before then. Maybe the advice is not because of memory effect, but to reduce frequency of recharging so as to extend cycle life.

    OK, so no contradiction between the manual and the world at large!
    Even when the display shows 'Change the batteries', it is still about to power-up other devices and continue to be use. It is only not able to power-up the PowerShot S2.

    So, there are still power left in the battery. Usually, when my PowerShot S2 display 'Change the batteries', I will do a refresh (completely discharge), then recharge again. And usually, it will last me about 300+ worth of shots.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    NiMH may not have much significant memory effect, that's true. But I have found that if your application requires a high current and it's critical enough that performance is affected if that certain current is not achieved, you may find that it is beneficial to condition them by discharging them first before recharging (like with NiCd). But don't leave them discharged for too long though....that's bad.

    I have found that my Sanyo 2100, 2300 and 2500 cannot deliver 7.2V 2A when i often just anyhow recharge when i like, as with my Li-ion stuff (eg cam, handphone). When i need the high power, the voltage drops to 6.3-6.5V. After "conditioning" for 2 rounds, 7V is achieavable. I have noticed this a lot of times, so it's no error on my part with regards to charging method/period or what. I noticed this because another set of newish brandless 1400mAH AA battery pack is outperforming my Sanyo 2300 and 2500s....which is totally weird. After conditioning, no problem. My that application is critical enough that a slight voltage drop affects performance significantly (and it's measurable).

    That application is not my flash..... wish i could share in details can't say it out here though....a bit illegal.
    Last edited by 2100; 28th September 2005 at 11:49 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    NiMH may not have much significant memory effect, that's true. But I have found that if your application requires a high current and it's critical enough that performance is affected if that certain current is not achieved, you may find that it is beneficial to condition them by discharging them first before recharging (like with NiCd). But don't leave them discharged for too long though....that's bad.

    I have found that my Sanyo 2100, 2300 and 2500 cannot deliver 7.2V 2A when i often just anyhow recharge when i like, as with my Li-ion stuff (eg cam, handphone). When i need the high power, the voltage drops to 6.3-6.5V. After "conditioning" for 2 rounds, 7V is achieavable. I have noticed this a lot of times, so it's no error on my part with regards to charging method/period or what. I noticed this because another set of newish brandless 1400mAH AA battery pack is outperforming my Sanyo 2300 and 2500s....which is totally weird. After conditioning, no problem. My that application is critical enough that a slight voltage drop affects performance significantly (and it's measurable).

    That application is not my flash..... wish i could share in details can't say it out here though....a bit illegal.
    Hee hee...

    So far, I have been using 4 brands of Batteries. Sony, GP, Sanyo and KONNOC.

    I must say that out of the 4, the best performance given is KONNOC, and GP is the worst of the worst man..... well, it was given free when I bought my camera.

    I highly recommend KONNOC, and it's cheap too... 2500 * 4 -> $14.50. From SL.
    Last edited by kevyan; 28th September 2005 at 12:38 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100

    I have found that my Sanyo 2100, 2300 and 2500 cannot deliver 7.2V 2A when i often just anyhow recharge when i like, as with my Li-ion stuff (eg cam, handphone). When i need the high power, the voltage drops to 6.3-6.5V. After "conditioning" for 2 rounds, 7V is achieavable. I have noticed this a lot of times, so it's no error on my part with regards to charging method/period or what. I noticed this because another set of newish brandless 1400mAH AA battery pack is outperforming my Sanyo 2300 and 2500s....which is totally weird. After conditioning, no problem. My that application is critical enough that a slight voltage drop affects performance significantly (and it's measurable).
    Actually, for higher current applications, if given the choice of NiMh or NiCd, I'd use the latter.

    There's really a need to 'condition' rechargeable batteries on initial use, contrary to popular belief and what the equipment tech support people might say. ;-) It will help expand the performance envelope of the batteries esp. in terms of getting the battery to their max. capacity. Just ask the RC model guys.

    It even helps to do this to Li-Ion batteries on first use.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    That application is not my flash..... wish i could share in details can't say it out here though....a bit illegal.
    It must a really powerful vibrating motor to draw 2A ;-)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Actually, for higher current applications, if given the choice of NiMh or NiCd, I'd use the latter.

    There's really a need to 'condition' rechargeable batteries on initial use, contrary to popular belief and what the equipment tech support people might say.Just ask the RC model guys.

    It must a really powerful vibrating motor to draw 2A ;-)
    Problem is NiCd 's capacity leh. Even if you don't mind that, with the lower capacity one would need to recharge more frequently, so the batt dies faster. The lowest priced NiCd I can find is about $4.50/pc for AA, so all in all not very cost effective.

    Yea, RC is one good area in which high current is needed, but they use NiMH for the much better running time. I remember the days when we only have NiCds, my car only ran for 10 mins tops. The number of batteries (and $$$ spent on that) is crazy! Maybe Power Tools need even higher current, so they stick with NiCds. My application ah....no lar it's not a sex vibrator or RC lar. hahah...... I think those only needs 2 or 4AA anyway.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Discharging your AA-sized after camera use

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    My application ah....no lar it's not a sex vibrator or RC lar. hahah...... I think those only needs 2 or 4AA anyway.
    Precisely why yours is illegal I thought.
    Last edited by kahheng; 2nd October 2005 at 03:16 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •