Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Small island, small minds?"

Default Re: "Small island, small minds?"

I think there are more bad singaporean drivers in singapore because there are more singaporeans in singapore.

* now try to repeat this 5 times quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    In German of course.
    babelfish translation gives

if d writer is asian probably got less resentment. jus b-cos ang-moh write bad things abt asian doesn't mean there's not a grain of truth. on d other hand some responses seem 2 suggest there r ppl who tink they r so perfect. so? ang -moh auther gets flamed!!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 27th September 2005 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheendorg
    Any views on this?...

Small island, small minds?
    Motorists here must learn to respect others

Letter from Wendi Strauch Mahoney
    TODAY Newspaper, 23 Sept 2005

It was gratifying to read Liang Dingzi's commentary, "A place where only bullies get ahead?" (Sept 6) on the rudeness of Singaporeans.

I felt, for once, that I am not alone in feeling battered by the lack of kindness here.

I have lived here for almost two years and I am both amazed and irritated at the lack of common courtesy here.

I understand that living in a city can bring with it a certain detached way of interacting with others. However, I am consistently frustrated by the rudeness here, especially when it also puts the lives of others in danger.

The list is endless: Taxi drivers who see motorists and pedestrians as "game"; drivers who refuse to give way under any circumstance; drivers who pass other motorists as they are backing into parking places; drivers who intimidate pedestrians that are crossing the street; drivers who straddle lanes while making up their minds which lane serves them best; motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic or who ride in the fast lane, and so on.

I have always tried to be a courteous driver. Even here, despite the temptation to "do as the Romans do", I continue to make every attempt to allow others to pass, give way to pedestrians and to wait my turn.

I rarely get a thank you or wave from the other driver, as if that person was entitled to the graciousness I just extended to them.

I understand that my politeness may be seen as weak to Singaporeans, but the only way I know how to change something as ingrained as this is to start with myself and hope that someone notices and says to himself, "Wow, that was nice. Maybe I should be as courteous." Somehow, I do not see that happening here.

Singapore does everything in its power to be competitive and respected in the world market. However, if the people here do not begin to understand how important it is to respect others, display manners and compassion, I do not see Singapore being anything more than a small country with small-minded people.

frankly the letter sounds very bo liao, or as I call it, very Narayana Narayan..(those who read the straits times forum pages in the past would know...)

a person's single opinion should not be used as a basis for condemning a whole nation
    frankly I find drivers here pretty darn good already. obviously the writer hasn't been to other big cities. in new york taxi drivers horn at pedestrians who are crossing when the WALK sign is on.
    So, she has her points but by the second half of the letter she just sounds condescending. I mean, why does she have to say "if the people here do not begin to understand how important it is to respect others, display manners and compassion....", all I can think of is my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheendorg
    i am speculating that we are progressing economically way too far ahead before we have any sort good and stablized cultural grounding. greed and materialism dont help, they amplify. usually in intense competition, to get ahead, theres no 2 best ways, its either lose whats of little value in favour of what can actually GET YOU AHEAD, and getting head means everything, yours not the first car zooming into this lane, your husband not the 1st in line for promotion, your kid not in the top 1% etc etc. people may wear the best clothes, enjoy the best technologies, but internally its a mess. simply put, EQ wise, we are kids in an adults world, but yet we have the clout to proudly stamp our 'maturity', which of course makes all the more worst..and the Snowball rolls.

does anyone here share or like to counter this ideology
    well good luck I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. singapore's like a business more and more everyday

Just to add another article:

Death for killer drivers?

Reckless road users who flout laws and cause injuries should be jailed for life and caned

Tuesday • September 27, 2005

Letter from Chan Chin Keong

LAST Friday night, my entire family almost lost our lives twice within the space of 30 minutes due to reckless driving.

I was at the Bedok South traffic junction in the middle lane. A Toyota Corolla swerved out of the right lane into my path, because the driver wanted to avoid a car that had stopped to make a turn and it was blocking his passage.

If not for my braking abruptly, we would have collided. The driver sped off, running a red traffic light at a pedestrian crossing further up on the road. There were four adults and a two-and-a-half year old child in my car.

Half an hour later, after I had sent my two friends home, I was in the left lane near the Paya Lebar MRT station. An E200 Mercedes Benz on my right suddenly executed a 90-degree left turn, cutting in front of me. Again, I applied the emergency brakes and avoided another collision.

Behind me, three motorcycles collided as they slammed on their brakes to avoid hitting my car.

I have read what readers Wendi S Mahoney ("Small island, tiny minds", Sept 22) and Yeo Tiong Lin ("Worse than a raging bull… Singaporean drivers", Sept 26) have written and agree with them completely.

I studied in Canada for four years. Canadian drivers are extremely polite and four-way stop signs work in Canada because people there are socially responsible! They are aware of the consequences if an accident occur because of their reckless driving and people are killed.

I have been back in Singapore since 1988. Over the last 17 years, all the campaigns, exhortations by the traffic police, have been made to no avail — drivers in Singapore are getting from bad to worse. I think enough is enough! It is time we change the laws to really punish the reckless drivers in our midst.

I propose capital punishment for reckless drivers who deliberately flout the law and cause death and anguish.

• For hit and run drivers who cause death: Allow the death sentence. Like people who wield a knife or gun to take another person's life and then run away, they should be tried as murderers.

• Hit and run drivers that cause injuries: A mandatory life sentence and caning.

• Those who drive recklessly and cause death: They should be charged with manslaughter and face life imprisonment and the cane.

• Those who drive recklessly and cause injuries:15 to 25 years in prison and caning.

Such offenders should also have their vehicles confiscated, sold off and the monies distributed to the victims or their kin.

For people who wilfully drive recklessly, I view this as a premeditated attempt to kill people on the streets. Driving bans and jail term of a few years are too light a sentence.

I implore the authorities to look into this. I live in a neighbourhood where people run stop signs regularly with no regard for oncoming traffic.

I almost lost my family last Friday and I was driving defensively, keeping to speed limits and belting up. My young daughter could have lost her life even before it has really begun.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234