Thread: Bicycle to work

Default Bicycle to work

Anyone has experience/inconvenience when taking bicycle to work? i mean when you actually arrive at your office building, especially when your office building like those modern one in shenton or china square area? care to share experience?

BD

Default Re: Bicycle to work

Quote Originally Posted by iceblade
    Anyone has experience/inconvenience when taking bicycle to work? i mean when you actually arrive at your office building, especially when your office building like those modern one in shenton or china square area? care to share experience?

BD
    i fully support ppl like you. Great choice of transport and great for your health too. (great for attract girl attention too) Just remember to lock your byc.

if i stay near my workplace, sure bike to work....dun care where...hahaha

hell, i wear slippers to paragon and orchard area....u say leh..

Talking Re: Bicycle to work

well i basically stay around 6th ave/bt timah area. my office is in china square area. I have prob with the building security. they do not allow me to take my bicycle up to the parking lot with lift. so i don't mind going up and down the car park by paddling my bike. not that big deal but the danger.. couple of times i almost got knocked down by cars. so that's not fun. besides the building security was really RUDE to me.. blame it on poor man who 'ride' bicycle to work.

Uh.. not sure abt attracting girls. prolly i take wrong route? haha..

Ice

BD

If you work at Tan Boon Liat....forget it. My office was there for 2 yrs and they refuse to let me bring the bike into my office!. Imagine, they want me to lock it outside by the drain on those railing, I told them, I am putting the bike into my office not outside the corridor and I am using the cargo lift to bring it up so as not to disturb passengers using the normal lift. There was only one time I managed to get it up when I had to go to my office urgently to do something while I was out cycling around. I told the security who stopped me and make a big fuss about it, would he be responsible for my bike if I lock it up at the entrance while I go upstair for 30 mins. If anything happen he will be held responsible for any parts damaged or lost. Told him my wheels alone cost more 4 figure. He backed down and let me in.

Prior to Tan Boon Liat, my office was at TradeMart. With this building, my only problem was no shower in the main building where I was located but the back warehouse where my store was , we had out own bathroom with shower...so once in a while I get to cycle there. It was nice toknow I can actually push my bike into the main building too. One reason being, in the night I notice the security would ride his old man bike around the corridors!! heheh... There were someother folks who cycle too...mostly europeans..I think they are use to this lifetstyle from where they came from. The typical Singapore person will not like to use this mode to get to work. Can;t blame them since some have to be well dressed up for work and impress the girls heh...

At my present office at Delta House, well...I have not cycle more then 4 times...there is only the basin to wash up and attached a tube to shower down. heheh..not that easy to do as it is a small cubicle. Only done this on Saturday when i go to the office in my shorts and tees. But at least they don't stop you from bringing your bike to your office.

It is great way to keep fit and save some cash and most important not have to fight for space in those damn MRT with idiots and their SMSing BS.

Uh.. not sure abt attracting girls. prolly i take wrong route? haha..

Ice

Don't end up being one of those who we call " Orchard Road Bike owners" their bike never see mud or dirt, always shinning and they would cycle to Orchard Road or the Business district to park their bike on a walkway to show off their bike and what they wear. They think they are all Lance Armstong or John Tomac. hehehe... YEs the bike can cost as much as $10,000 but hell..wat girl would know that!??? Drive a Mercedes or a Ferrari to get their attention lah...but ride a bike ( bike built for one! ) to impress them? You can only impress another GUY! hehe well if you are into that then..I guess that is fine hehehe...

Not say you hor..just generalising.

By the way, I hate Orcahrd Road Bike Posers as you can see. heheh

My heart is with you Sammy888. well. i am not sporean so prolly what you said explain why everyone say i am weird for riding bicycle to work especially considering the distance. Honestly, it is even faster than taking bus, dude! I could really go back to back with the bus from the nearest bus stop at my home. granted after that, i was drenched with sweat. hahahha.. i should have gotten roadbike ( i m riding cheapo hybrid for fear being stolen ). but I do take my saddle with me to office.

Ice

i ever wanted to cycle to work and back home but i always sweat a lot once i start to cycle up and down those slopes. reach office sure stink like i had a 2.4km ippt run.

I have no idea about orchard road biker? that's intereting.. any idea where and when i can spot them? so you mean they show off expensive bike and gears? get real...not many people can make out the differences between 200-500 dollar bike with above 1000 ones.

do you cycle often? prolly we should get together then?

I have not been biking for the past one month. i hv been travelling. that sucks!

I used to have a bicycle riding from Tanjong Pagar MRT to some where near the Railway station to work everyday ... but after I came back from ICT my bicycle missing in actions ..

dun know who unlock my bike ...

now take a stroll to office everyday lor from mrt station ... ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    I used to have a bicycle riding from Tanjong Pagar MRT to some where near the Railway station to work everyday ... but after I came back from ICT my bicycle missing in actions ..

dun know who unlock my bike ...

now take a stroll to office everyday lor from mrt station ... ..
    do you cycle to labrador park? i think i ever saw you cycling in while i was walking in. lol.

Oh.. here's my trick. I take orchard route. so I cycle as close as possible to building along orchard road, door open and close and i got aircon. besides... i take my own sweet time when riding to office but jam it when I ride home. i made mistake once though..taking holland road on the way home. that really killed me. hahaa...

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    i ever wanted to cycle to work and back home but i always sweat a lot once i start to cycle up and down those slopes. reach office sure stink like i had a 2.4km ippt run.

Oh.. here's my trick. I take orchard route. so I cycle as close as possible to building along orchard road, door open and close and i got aircon. besides... i take my own sweet time when riding to office but jam it when I ride home. i made mistake once though..taking holland road on the way home. that really killed me. hahaa...
    wah lao.. so diff leh!
    me from clementi to ayer rajah.

If only my office is nearer to my house...

Stay in North, work in West...
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

In Singapore it's very difficult to ride bicycle for practical purposes other than for leisure.
    Why?
    1. Road drivers pretty much don't care about the safety of cyclers. They have the right of way anyway.
    2. Pedestrian walkways are pretty much meant only for pedestrians, i.e. either crowded with people who don't give way, or bumpy roads because of poor maintenance.
    3. Hot and humid weather = sweat like you've just done a marathon.
    4. Slopes. Although it isn't too much of a problem, there are times where there is not enough runway to build up speed to conquer the slope + pedestrians/cars blocking.
    5. Office = no showering facilities. Don't think you want to turn up sweaty for work?
    6. And as some have mentioned, no parking facilities for bicycles. Most buildings have huge carparks but don't have bicycle parks?
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 26th September 2005 at 12:51 PM.

My heart is with you Sammy888. well. i am not sporean so prolly what you said explain why everyone say i am weird for riding bicycle to work especially considering the distance. Honestly, it is even faster than taking bus, dude! I could really go back to back with the bus from the nearest bus stop at my home. granted after that, i was drenched with sweat. hahahha.. i should have gotten roadbike ( i m riding cheapo hybrid for fear being stolen ). but I do take my saddle with me to office.

Ice
    Well I guess if you have a job that does not mind you being in casual then that would be an advantage. For me, I can get away with not wearing my shirt and slack sometimes due to my work and I seldom need to meet customers..etc.

Bus chasing? heheh Better be care there...use to do that but that was like when I was super fit and doing round island cycle trips ( 137km average) on a regular basis. I was doing like about 30 mins from my home in Eunos to Tradmart at RiverValley back then. Now...the old bones are out of whack man...it will be sometime before I can get up to even half my fitness level for island ride around heheh..

You are not weird! hehe I have a more weird bike friend with whom I use to exchange email with due to our love for Klein Bikes. He has two klein and both of them...he scratch the paint work and throw over some other paint and sticks all over it, put in some basic brake stuff and well..let's just say he "un-beautify" it...We are talking a Klein Attitude and a Rascal or maybe it was the same as mine a Pulse. Aneyway..he rides to work in San Fransico and parks it and lock it to a lampost. Look at it..it looks too junk to steal heheh...so that is what he does to prevent people from stealing it heheh. I don't think you can do that in Singapore...even a hybrid sometimes get stolen!!...or at least some of the parts hahahah.

I can't park mine for sure...too many easy quick release parts. heheh.

this place they have bike lodging at Tanjong Pagar.

http://www.thebikeboutique.com/bike/...TOKEN=47745904

I have no idea about orchard road biker? that's intereting.. any idea where and when i can spot them? so you mean they show off expensive bike and gears? get real...not many people can make out the differences between 200-500 dollar bike with above 1000 ones.

do you cycle often? prolly we should get together then?

I have not been biking for the past one month. i hv been travelling. that sucks!
    Where else? hehe Orchard Road. Just keep your eyes or lens on weekends at all the walkway. Very irritating. I don;t believe in using walkways to ride your bike. If you want to...get off and push. I have not been around Orchard for sometime now ( hate to go there unless need to buy something like once a year or shoot a festival decor) but I am sure you will spot them with their Oakley even when it is already evening with the sun about to set completely. All nice and shiny Cannodale, Klien, Foe, Kona, Trek, Colnago..etc well you get the picture. heh. or and you can't forget the accessories and colourful jerseys. I have no problem with all those stuff.. I have them too but I ratehr be riding to Changi BEach along the east coast/ changi coastal road, ride into JB or take a boat to Pengarang and then cycle to Mersing or take the Bike over to Batam and torture your legs to death. That's a good way to spend a day or night. You are right....most people who dont ride have no clue as which is an expensive rig and which is not. I recall once, I stayed at my office in TradeMart till 3am in the morning working on some stuff. So I have to get the guard to open the gate for me so I can ride out. He took one look at my rig and he say it looks very nice. He ask me how much I pay for it..."about 300 to 500?" heeheh.. When I told him the price, he could not believe me. He said his motorbike cost less then that. heh. I told him it is about interest and it did took me more then 15 yrs drooling over bikes like this before I was able to afford them. I ride my bike...it is not for show...guess that is why I ride alone and at night most of the time. It is a good way to enjoy my private time just like photography. these are the only two activities I usually do alone heh.