Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is tripod allowed to be hand carried in the airplane?

Default Is tripod allowed to be hand carried in the airplane?

I am travelling soon, I want to take my tripod with me, but I'm travelling without check-in baggage. Thanks

Default Re: Is tripod allowed to be hand carried in the airplane?

Do a search, there's already a discussion, which I am, coincidentally, also looking up at it as well.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294592

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896262

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=291000&page=2

Based on this and also other sites, it is all quite clear that it is subjective to the staff at the point of embarkation, no airlines distinctly said tripods can or cannot be hand carried onboard, large or small. For airlines security, most airlines ban metal poles or bars, meaning aluminium tripods are also one of them, sharpen end or not. Carbon Fibers? It is still subjective on the respective staff, so no point arguing at the boarding point.

In short, just check it in!
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

best to chk in , i know taipei cannot

Quote Originally Posted by foreverlate View Post
    best to chk in , i know taipei cannot

Hi!

I think if you carry a huge tripod its better to check in. If you are just carrying a monopod I think can hand carry in.

kaikeong

Hand carry my tripod most of the time... No issue in Asia as well as europe

Quote Originally Posted by DSolZ View Post
    Hand carry my tripod most of the time... No issue in Asia as well as europe
    Yup, agreed, just attached to your camera bag or tripod bag, no issue at all.

Mine is sirui T-025X, maybe its small hence never being stopped before.

I have had no problems hand carrying my tripod to and fro europe and asia. I only had a problem once coming back from Adelaide. They insisted I check it in.

Good luck

No problems until I got asked to take it out of my bag in Taipei. I was in transit from Japan and japan side I had no problems. Gave me unnecessary stress. Had to wait for another staff to take the tripod from me and meet me back at aircraft side to pass it to me. Cause me to be late for boarding.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yogifoo View Post
    No problems until I got asked to take it out of my bag in Taipei. I was in transit from Japan and japan side I had no problems. Gave me unnecessary stress. Had to wait for another staff to take the tripod from me and meet me back at aircraft side to pass it to me. Cause me to be late for boarding.
    Taipei have very strict rules on tripod. Not allowed as hand carry.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Taipei have very strict rules on tripod. Not allowed as hand carry.
    Cause they got flight to usa. Even an Allen key also must check in, cannot hand carry!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Yes Taiwan is damn super strict. I kenna travel tripod 31cm(their limit is 30cm)they also reject. Another time those kiddy scissors used to cut baby food, blunt tip, blade length maybe 2" also kenna reject and throw away. Faint.
    A99 - CZ1635 - CZ2470 - CZ5014 - CZ24 - 70200G - 70300G - 70400G2 - KM 8514G - Roki 14 2.8 - 24 1.5

agree with those traveling from Taiwan. they are strict on their hand carry item especially metal items. i once bought a gopro selfie stick as carry on and got turned back

ion the end, my lugggage was earlier checked in hence i've to ask for a small box at 150 TWD.

Depends on airline and destination, make sure you can pack it into your hold baggage at checkin. I've never been refused but only tried a couple of times.

Budget airlines are usually MUCH more restrictive.
    Check out my site here for reviews, articles & free guides!
    http://davidcandlish.photography

I went Taiwan last year flying Jetstar and handcarrying the BeFree tripod. Lucky!

Uhm.. Was flying biz class. Non negotiable. Exceed 30cm means keep. My travel tripod was 31/32cm. That fella really use tape and measure. Knn. Lol.
    A99 - CZ1635 - CZ2470 - CZ5014 - CZ24 - 70200G - 70300G - 70400G2 - KM 8514G - Roki 14 2.8 - 24 1.5

I recently went to hk with 2 tripods and tripod head. In they go into my luggage bag. Still under 20kg total, heh heh! So, next time take sq, tripod still ok to check in as each bag is allowed to 30 kg.

If go further, try for those 2 x 20kg. Still got room for tripod n some stuffs which consider illegal by airport standard. That's why tripod need to be light but strong. Heh heh!

It's not the weight. It's the dimensions. And it's not the airline, it's Taiwan. Let us know when you succeed with Taiwan with above setup. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by icebear78 View Post
    It's not the weight. It's the dimensions. And it's not the airline, it's Taiwan. Let us know when you succeed with Taiwan with above setup. Lol
    I also check in my tripod when I in taiwan during may. I not saying I put in bag and carry in la. Alamak!

Good to know that hand carried tripod is not allowed in Taiwan. The last two trip to Taiwan I check in my tripod since I have excess luggage. Between European city I typically fly by budget, I have no problem with hand carry tripod. Been on jet star and tiger airway to some neighbour country with hand carry tripod.. No issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post

I also check in my tripod when I in taiwan during may. I not saying I put in bag and carry in la. Alamak!
    My bad bbtm.. Misunderstood you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast