Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Hobby Becomes Ugly Part Of Work.

Default Re: When Hobby Becomes Ugly Part Of Work.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    University of Singapore? That's a very, very long time ago goodness me.

I guess it very much depends on individual in such a scenario:
    Some ppl believe in going all out.
    Some ppl believe in doing what's enuff to get by.
    Some ppl believe in smoking all the way.

I'm still pretty much stuck in the era of Ancient China or Ancient Japan I guess.
    Yup! I was there before many of you guys were born!!

Coming back to the issue. I know that there are bosses who will exploit you to the fullest without giving you your just due. And therefore, it will make you wonder if going the extra mile is "worth it".

I have a different attitude. To me, going the extra mile do not harm me the least bit (Except when there is mortal dangers!) . If I have been taken as a sucker, so be it! I am none the worse for it. But if I have the type of bosses as in my Jurong textile factory, the chance is that I will be given opportunities that otherwise do not come my way. I do not go the extra mile for those opportunities. But if they are there because the boss recognise my work attitude, I will be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Suppose your boss wants you to take industrial photos for the company but that's not your job in the company. You may have to climb tall structures like cranes and you have to use your own DSLR with the expensive lenses. There is no payment for the assignments. Would you do it knowing the risks involved and even if your boss says the company will cover for any damage to the equipment?
    Just take it as a on site training, a stepping stone toward your next level of photography. Some more take picture during office hour should be fun and i think many would like to do that if they had the skill. Maybe your boss look up on you wat.
    Incase you want to change body and lens can just drop it (make sure no body below) company will cover for you.

Take it, too late to tell you boss any excuse liao, any excuse should be on the spot tell him, go back think already then give him excuse, he will take it as unwilling to cooperate.

Lightbulb Re: When Hobby Becomes Ugly Part Of Work.

then, it depends whether i want to do or not.

there were legal cases which went before our court where the insurers claimed they are not liable for loss of limbs or life as what the employee/s concerned undertook is not within his job description or scope. regardless of outcome, the long drawn legal cases is sure to financially drain the plaintiff or his nok.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    that is certainly true in this case. but what if your boss ask you to shoot for some company event where there is almost no risk to life and limb?

two ways to look at it...

either u accept ur fate and see it as an adventure during office hours....and risk dropping off high towers or ur seeing and hearing ur cam crashing down below.

or

time to change job, dun need to show face to such kind of bosses who take advantage of people convieniently.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

i think you just kanna caught in no-man's land..

perhaps something you did or said or expressed have given you away, shoot your own foot. learn from here.

think B&S is right: sound exclusive, act exclusive, stay exclusive. dont give others an impression you are an eager trigger, LEST the oppt is exclusive, ie Shoot Bill Gates doing a cranelift.

its right, if you do once FOC, then your face value is FOC. charge once and scare them off.
    Then again, be prepared to lose your job if you dont.
    but again, if you do it, you might risk legal/health hazards not only to yourself but others, the company might not indeminfy you, worst deny formal responsibilities, you on your own.

personally i dont buy the 'company pay for damage/loss' crap, becos my exp told me their compensation is usaully either "aiyah thats a small scratch only, maybe you had it already who knows, anyway your stuff a few K right? very durable, no need worry la" or "but the images looks quite alright to me lei, ok lah tell you what, lets see the turnout from the next few rounds and then how.."

hahha
    Last edited by itisnottheendorg; 26th September 2005 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    OMG. Thats really so sad to hear that you lose yr job that way.

yes, my boss suspects that i moonlight all weekends, fired me by giving some stupid reason and kept asking me if i moonlighted, my web page is alrady gone, funny woman.

Quote Originally Posted by jesser
    yes....right. have to keep a very very low profile. unless someone happened to meet you over at a wedding assignment or event shoot-out. so far i don't talk about photography in my office....just to avoid 'red eye' people.
    my junior in the office, recognise me when i shoot her sisters wedding last year, but she was not the alarm bell, appearantly i regeated telling my ex new boss that i have photographic skills when i apply for the job, its design related.

Lightbulb Re: When Hobby Becomes Ugly Part Of Work.

does yr employment contract prohibits 'moonlighting'?

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    yes, my boss suspects that i moonlight all weekends, fired me by giving some stupid reason and kept asking me if i moonlighted, my web page is alrady gone, funny woman.

I think there are certain "rules" in office:
    1. Dont let others know that u are doing freelance
    2. Dont let others know that u have a camera
    3. Take any additional work as "opportunity" to learn, whether that work is on your job description or not
    4. But dont risk your life and limbs for doing any work, whether that work is on your job description or not

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i think that the co's coverage for damaged equipment is far lesser important than coverage for your limbs and life. as a word of caution, what your boss said(verbally) may not necessarily reflect their insurer's scope of coverage. so, do need to look into the t & cs.

my ex company wanted me to shoot products which i kindly decline stating that i do not have lights at all, he pointed me to the brightest spot in the office and ask me to shoot there. All the end i was very affected by the boss, can do but i do not want to provide you with any help type of mindset.

i used my wife ixus with the free tripod to shoot at home wiith the best angles i can think off, the depth of field for a compact cam is on my DSLR i have to stop down to f22

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    does yr employment contract prohibits 'moonlighting'?

the letter stated no moonlighting for the same type of work, design.

share a bit..to some, maybe OT, to others maybe not.

someone in my mgmt ever 'ask' me be the company driver when the real one resigned, sort sound like a standin at first but i think once you are in you labelled PERMANENT PLUS FREE OVERTIME almost every weekday. when i report i have yet my license, the face turns and as of then, its 'agonising' to 'request' for transport each time, a prep talk here about limited resources, a lengthy discussion there about efficiency and effectiveness...end up i have to take and submit claims for public transport, which again i have to justify to OTHER mgmt when theres suppose to be a company vehicle!!..

tough call heh, food for your thoughts partner.
    hahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheendorg
    i think you just kanna caught in no-man's land..

perhaps something you did or said or expressed have given you away, shoot your own foot. learn from here.

think B&S is right: sound exclusive, act exclusive, stay exclusive. dont give others an impression you are an eager trigger, LEST the oppt is exclusive, ie Shoot Bill Gates doing a cranelift.

its right, if you do once FOC, then your face value is FOC. charge once and scare them off.
    Then again, be prepared to lose your job if you dont.
    but again, if you do it, you might risk legal/health hazards not only to yourself but others, the company might not indeminfy you, worst deny formal responsibilities, you on your own.

personally i dont buy the 'company pay for damage/loss' crap, becos my exp told me their compensation is usaully either "aiyah thats a small scratch only, maybe you had it already who knows, anyway your stuff a few K right? very durable, no need worry la" or "but the images looks quite alright to me lei, ok lah tell you what, lets see the turnout from the next few rounds and then how.."

hahha
    i also agree with itisnottheendorg, if the company saves cost like nothing, no way will they pay your camera for any damage, expecially when you tell them the exotic lenses that you use is worth more than a few hundred bucks. They will still blame you for your own carelessness.

Sorry, some bosses mentatily really is about profits and costs, if you think you want to be a good worker go ahead.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 26th September 2005 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Suppose your boss wants you to take industrial photos for the company but that's not your job in the company. You may have to climb tall structures like cranes and you have to use your own DSLR with the expensive lenses. There is no payment for the assignments. Would you do it knowing the risks involved and even if your boss says the company will cover for any damage to the equipment?
    are the pictures going to be used in some kind of company publication, newsletter or corporate annual report, etc?

don't shortchange yourself. if you shoot for free, you will be saving ALOT of money for the company. and what do you get in return? perhaps a pat on the back for a job well done. and touch wood, nothing happens to you or your equip.

if he is serious about getting the pictures, advise him to hire a professional photography company. if something bad happens, at least they are professionally insured. as for your case, be very sure you get everything down on black-n-white if you really decide to do it.

PLUS you need to negotiate who owns the copyright. (my guess is, your boss will argue that since you are doing it during office hours, all rights belong to the company...and they can re-use the pictures ad nauseam).

and if you really do it, you will be setting a precedent in your company. commercial photographers here are already looking for greener pastures overseas. do not ever let your boss have the idea in his head that professional photography is a profession that is so 'low-class' that any co-worker with a camera can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i also agree with itisnottheendorg, if the company saves cost like nothing, no way will they pay your camera for any damage, expecially when you tell them the exotic lenses that you use is worth more than a few hundred bucks. They will still blame you for your own carelessness.

Sorry, some bosses mentatily really is about profits and costs, if you think you want to be a good worker go ahead.
    Hey!....talking about 'SHOOT YOUR OWN FOOT"...just checked out your AVATAR!...hahah

Wow, a lot of interesting feedback here.

My primary concern is actually my safety and as what to student has mentioned, I do believe in going the extra mile to help out my company. I've been with the company for nearly 10 yrs. Also I do get to shoot places/events where most people are not able to like these.

And as what reachme2003 had said, I'm concerned that the company's insurance may not allow me to claim for doing things outside my scope. Some more if I damage my equipment, it may be difficult to claim from the company as they may view the damage as insignificant. But I have faith in my boss that he will stick to his words.
    Another concern is that these 'sai kang' eats into my work schedule and sometimes personal time. And how do you avoid letting people know about your habit, especially when you want to take some shots at corporate events just for your own memories. No, I don't walk around the office carrying my DSLR with my L lenses. I guess I just have to carry on with this and see how it goes. Maybe can turn pro industrial photographer after this.

share a bit..to some, maybe OT, to others maybe not.

someone in my mgmt ever 'ask' me be the company driver when the real one resigned, sort sound like a standin at first but i think once you are in you labelled PERMANENT PLUS FREE OVERTIME almost every weekday. when i report i have yet my license, the face turns and as of then, its 'agonising' to 'request' for transport each time, a prep talk here about limited resources, a lengthy discussion there about efficiency and effectiveness...end up i have to take and submit claims for public transport, which again i have to justify to OTHER mgmt when theres suppose to be a company vehicle!!..

tough call heh, food for your thoughts partner.
    hahhaha
    I think this is a common problem when there is a position to be filled. Temporary position usually becomes permanent unless you make noise.

the question here really is, are you able to protect yourself adequately...not only physically, but also in all sense of the word? black-n-white speaks best. no doubt it will be an interesting (if not dangerous) experience and will be a good addition to anyone's portfolio, but got to ask yourself, is it worth it?

all the best

i think to be fair to company contributors who get their fair share returns of appreciations and gratitude (..well maybe off-in-lieus AND allowances claim too) from their bossman, such shoot is good exposure and hard to come by. who knows, maybe your boss, knowing your intense interest and capability, has put his neck out to try to grab hold that gold oppt to shoot that world no.1 offshore oil rig up north Greenland (with penguins, whales and icebergs to boot). maybe he cant pay you direct or cold hard cash per se, but he COULD arrange an all-expenses paid holiday thats out of his usual benefit/welfare jurisdiction for your good work. maybe its a way of a 'free' wedding gift. who knows. we dont, but you should.

for the records, i and others in my circle have ***NOT*** have such luck.

a lot of us 'farmers' livelihood really depends on the paymasters (..ahem slave drivers) and company culture (..ahem politicking)

put it this way, an egg in the salt pits, becomes a salted egg.. one in the hands of a Risis craftsman, becomes a golden one..one in your Asian Boss's hands?..maybe an Easter egg. hahaha.
    Last edited by itisnottheendorg; 26th September 2005 at 12:35 PM.

hahha
    I don't think a *weee... piak!* will cause a 'small scratch'.

It will cause many, many small scratches on many pieces.
    And that will be the time for 5D....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast