Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: need feedback on home av system

  1. #41

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    point taken Zerstorer. yeah, dEthANGeL is right, dun want the 8000A to go to waste. right now, budget is tight (very tight) and not looking to start another hifi-only system elsewhere in the house...heheheh....also...u know what they say about the log relationship between wattage and loudness....

    update: got a "vintage" NAD 2100, i'll see how it stacks up against the 8000A. the NAD is circa mid-80's but has a claimed abiility to handle 200-330W( depending on speaker impedence) and according to the manuel, "this high level of tone-burst power is available not just for brief transients but for the full duration of complex chords and musical climaxes."....should prove interesting....
    The Nad2100 is ok, a set of 2700THX might be better as it can play much louder without strain. My first movie/stereo setup consisted of a pair of 2700THX bridged and they could play loud without any strain. I later switched it to bi-amped configuration for a more musical result and it was later replaced by a few different amps... I helped a close friend configure a movie/stereo system based on the Nad208THX as front main amplifier and it proved to be even better. All these options should be rather cheap in the 2nd hand market now as I once saw a 208THX go for just ~700 2nd hand.

    If you are considering a replacement for your 8000A, the 208THX is a good bet as its just as good on music IMO and it can play orchestral music on a lifelike scale.

    Well all these are capable performers 8-10years ago, don't know much about current trends as I've been out of the scene for 4years.
    Long given
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 1st October 2005 at 03:33 PM.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    the clowns at merdaka not very helpful and had that "no money dun waste my time kinda attitude", i pretty much walked out of there...idiots...

    mmmm, must listen to your missions one day....

    will update you guys on the sub in a few days....i promise it will be a rude, obnoxious mutha...hehehehehe
    Aiy .. really sad to hear ... a few guys over @ xtremeplace forums have PSB setups ... quite good from their POV ... and sadly, they're the sole agents here in Singapore

    My missions are old models as well. The current one M71s if i'm not wrong, are quite decent performers... you can give these a listen as well. They're around the range of my 700s.

    Garion if you're reading this... please give some feedback regarding the M71s .. i know you have them cos i pointed the link to you - where is my kopi?
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 1st October 2005 at 03:44 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    will keep a lookout for more NAD bargains...ultimtae would of course be a bridged, bi/tri-amped setup but that will have to wait....hehehehe

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    will keep a lookout for more NAD bargains...ultimtae would of course be a bridged, bi/tri-amped setup but that will have to wait....hehehehe
    You're in luck .. but the guy didn't leave a contact - check this out ...

  5. #45

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    update: ok guys, got a vintage Velodyne V1012X (II or BE?), 10" active, 12" passive radiator...blows my passive 8" altec lansing away.....wooohooo!

    also, had a good listen to the TDL NFM today, bright and slightly forthcoming, but brings a whole new level of transparency compared to the Sound Dynamics floor standers...shame on the SDs! hehehe! but becos the TDLs are NFMs, still lacks a bit of presence compared to the SDs but thats not a fair comparison i guess....

    so guys, should i use the TDLs as my HT rear channels or for my dining room music speakers?

    for my set up, I'm still short of another pair of speakers (either for my rear channels or for my dining room)...also still shopping for a center channel...

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    update: ok guys, got a vintage Velodyne V1012X (II or BE?), 10" active, 12" passive radiator...blows my passive 8" altec lansing away.....wooohooo!

    also, had a good listen to the TDL NFM today, bright and slightly forthcoming, but brings a whole new level of transparency compared to the Sound Dynamics floor standers...shame on the SDs! hehehe! but becos the TDLs are NFMs, still lacks a bit of presence compared to the SDs but thats not a fair comparison i guess....

    so guys, should i use the TDLs as my HT rear channels or for my dining room music speakers?

    for my set up, I'm still short of another pair of speakers (either for my rear channels or for my dining room)...also still shopping for a center channel...
    Congrats.

    The velodyne is definitely a good choice as well. Definitely blows it away, until you experience SVS ... anyway, back to your question. I'd use the SDs for the main channels as they're more capable of handling the material being bigger speakers and all.. and get a decent pair of surrounds.

    As for the TDL NFMs, i'll use them for dining room speakers and maybe couple the AL sub with it to give it slightly more "oomph" if its lacking in that area?

    Just be sparing with the Audiolab's volume if you're out to "WHACK" material on the system as sometimes, people drive their speakers beyond clipping point easily when they get too engrossed with the movie.

  7. #47

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    Congrats.

    The velodyne is definitely a good choice as well. Definitely blows it away, until you experience SVS ... anyway, back to your question. I'd use the SDs for the main channels as they're more capable of handling the material being bigger speakers and all.. and get a decent pair of surrounds.

    As for the TDL NFMs, i'll use them for dining room speakers and maybe couple the AL sub with it to give it slightly more "oomph" if its lacking in that area?

    Just be sparing with the Audiolab's volume if you're out to "WHACK" material on the system as sometimes, people drive their speakers beyond clipping point easily when they get too engrossed with the movie.
    hehe, i think i will grow quite attached to the velodyne...
    yep, just went through my shcematic diagram again, will keep the SDs as main L/R...and the TDLs as dining area speakers.

    i'm planning to use one amp to drive my main L/R and dining area speakers (speaker A,B), but still a toss up for me whether to use the 8000A or the NAD 2100....leaning towards the latter.

    if that is the case, i now have a choice to use Yamaha MX-600 for my rear L/R and the 8000A for my centre or vice versa...kinda more inclined to the audiolab for my center channel....and relegate the MX-600 to the rear L/R...decisions decisions....

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by GitS
    hehe, i think i will grow quite attached to the velodyne...
    yep, just went through my shcematic diagram again, will keep the SDs as main L/R...and the TDLs as dining area speakers.

    i'm planning to use one amp to drive my main L/R and dining area speakers (speaker A,B), but still a toss up for me whether to use the 8000A or the NAD 2100....leaning towards the latter.

    if that is the case, i now have a choice to use Yamaha MX-600 for my rear L/R and the 8000A for my centre or vice versa...kinda more inclined to the audiolab for my center channel....and relegate the MX-600 to the rear L/R...decisions decisions....
    ... careful decision and planning makes the purchase worthwhile ...

    Yup, the 2100s will be a good choice. But using the 8000A for centre will seem weird and unbalance the amp. (not too good loading 1 channel on the amp all the time, did that with my dad's relic Revox ... 1 channel died.. now i have to pay for the repairs ) ... i'd pair the audiolab with the TDLs ... sadly your setup doesn't have a rear centre (does it?) ... else you can use the audiolab easily. The MX-600 would be fine for the Rear L/R ... now the headache is the centre channel.

  9. #49

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    quite enjoying looking through you guys posts,... but too technical to me liao.
    Canon 40D|17-55 f/2.8 IS|100 f/2.8 Macro|135 f/2L|300 f/4L IS|430ex|BG-E2

  10. #50

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    thanks for the advice on not unduely stressing the audiolab for the center channel, dEthANGeL.....will continue to look for options...one alternative would be a monobloc....muawahahahaha! ehehehehe! too much bass getting to my head...

    seriously,....so maybe look for a cheapo power amp to drive my center?

    ST_sg:glad u enjoyng the posts....has become some kinda of a journey for me...although most self proclaimed audiophiles would sniff at my system with distain..hell, as long as it works for me....

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Heh ... believe me its not good stressing 1 channel .. now i spoilt it .. i need to pay for it ... the revox maybe a relic and sounds really good.. but its a pain to repair ...

    You can try looking for a 2nd hand Rotel RB-970 poweramp as i'm using this now to power my 15" monster coupled to a equalizer ...I got mine cheap as 1 of the channels spoilt, but repairs didn't cost much.

  12. #52

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    If you are going for subwoofers and music is just going to be played occasionally, just order direct from SVS (particularly PC-Plus series) and don't waste time/think about other brands already. Price-performance-ratio thingy.
    Last edited by 2100; 6th October 2005 at 12:04 PM.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    BOSE, and nothing else.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    BOSE, and nothing else.
    oh please... do not bring bose into the picture .. and please don't start a bose flame war!!

    I love their AM 5s .. but that's that. Nothing else is worth looking at unless you got cash for the professional systems (which aren't that good also compared to behringer / martin audio / turbosound / soundcraft / QSC Audio etc...)
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 6th October 2005 at 12:33 PM.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    If you are going for subwoofers and music is just going to be played occasionally, just order direct from SVS (particularly PC-Plus series) and don't waste time/think about other brands already. Price-performance-ratio thingy.
    wah .... aye don't tempt me leh .... i'm thinking of getting a "TUBE" for my room ... already my 15" monster is rattling neighbour's mirrors.. don't wanna rattle my surroundings as well and make car alarms go off

  16. #56

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    wah .... aye don't tempt me leh .... i'm thinking of getting a "TUBE" for my room ... already my 15" monster is rattling neighbour's mirrors.. don't wanna rattle my surroundings as well and make car alarms go off
    Heh heh...i think SVS is perfect for SG HDB living rooms, for the bassheads. Seriously it isn't too big, if you have checked out the 15" stuff from Velodyne and company. The last time i checked out the prices for Velodyne from that 4th sty Adelphi shop, i was like. Geez, you have a 15" in your bedroom?!

    The problem here with our dimensions is that room nodes give too much of a hump. The BFD is definitely recommended (check it out on extremeplace). There is definitely enough volume from 1 single PC+, just the bass freqs humps.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    To each his own lah bro. Gits ask to suggest and I suggest loh...what's wrong with bringing Bose into the picture? I'm simply bringing the system I have to his attention and for his reference only. Nothing more.

    I'm not a pro in this audio thing. May be you are, but so far, my system has served me well over the years and I'm pretty happy with the quality, though I'm not a pro in this area. Just expressing my views from a newbie perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL
    oh please... do not bring bose into the picture .. and please don't start a bose flame war!!

    I love their AM 5s .. but that's that. Nothing else is worth looking at unless you got cash for the professional systems (which aren't that good also compared to behringer / martin audio / turbosound / soundcraft / QSC Audio etc...)
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  18. #58

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    GitS,

    Watch what you are assembling together...don't let it end up a frankenstein system.
    You might want to take stock of your priorities and see what do you desire most and focus your budget on getting a solid component to your liking to fulfill that aspect. Building a system by grabbing odds and ends that appear along the way can be really fun(the joy of experiencing different components)....but you will end up with a whole room full of mismatched components after sometime which may clog up your funds for other purchases.

    Perhaps you might want to decide what is your primary goal and try to split it up into short term, mid-term and long term objectives. It will help in your purchasing decisions.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    To each his own lah bro. Gits ask to suggest and I suggest loh...what's wrong with bringing Bose into the picture? I'm simply bringing the system I have to his attention and for his reference only. Nothing more.

    I'm not a pro in this audio thing. May be you are, but so far, my system has served me well over the years and I'm pretty happy with the quality, though I'm not a pro in this area. Just expressing my views from a newbie perspective.
    no offence intended ... cos whenever someone brings bose into a thread ... it goes everywhere (flame wars start cos of this also) so peace....

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northland
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: need feedback on home av system

    I tend to agree with Zerstorer .... other than watching movie...Gits, the type of music u listen will determine your setup too... some mix of equipments tend to deliver much better on certain type of music..it's pretty hard to build a all-rounder.

    Hmm... Bro Virgo.. BOSE systems ... no offence, dude but their systems tend to be pretty impressive with their own DEMO music When you listen to your fav music, they somehow fail to deliver So, just be happy with what u have.... or what your ears are comfortable with.. I tend to mix and match my equipments separately

    Oh... dun forget your area size too... if u get a powerful system and you cant blast it in view of noise pollution or before the police starts knocking on your door... then it will be such a pity.


    Cheerio !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •