Thread: Our near-forgotten roots

Default Our near-forgotten roots

taken during a group outing to some teahouse with powershot a510
    post processed to black and white, some cropping.
    comments for this beginner to improve?
    Last edited by de5truction; 25th September 2005 at 01:41 PM.

Default Re: Our near-forgotten roots

nice use of the small depth of field effect (1st teacup is not in focus). if you took the picture in colour, it may be better as i feel the fruits on the cup (peach/orange whatever) will make the picture livelier. Try sepia tone too!

Just my 2 cents worth

Personally, I would have liked it if the depth of field is increased so that both pictures on the teacup is clear. But this is quite nice too, as the photo naturally let me focus on the picures on the 2nd cup.

nice use of DOF...

the light in the background is a little distracting.

agree with the bkgd distracting light. i wld crop away more of the front cup leaveing enuff for ppl to know but not to see. The moment I start seeing than the out of focus becomes unpleasant. So a blurr foregrd must not intrude into the pic, but works only when it focus attention to the subject, or else it distract and makes ppl uncomfortable. Thats the way I use defocus foregd.

yep yep, i must agree that the background light was kinda distracting, should have gotten a better spot to avoid it.. enjoying the range of comments comin' and will work to improve my techniques! thanks alot!

the title is unsuitable.

what roots? all the profiteering from the business of pseudo-intricate, exquisite tea-drinking. look beneath! the true hidden essence of yumcha lies in the elderly who maintain their own tea sets, whose age is reflected in the glimmer of the shine in their prize possesions. what roots? there is no reminiscence of roots when you bring some american to the shop to "show him some asian tradition". the true tradition lies uncovered.

if u want a non-distracting bg, get a dSLR or SLR then can liao. :P

haha! more control of DOF and bokeh.

poorly titled. technically not much wrong with the picture. but if you had the title in mind first, then set about composing the pic to fit the title. Try something like hands reaching for modern drinking cups and neglecting the teacups, but make sure viewer focus is kept on the subject.