Thread: Teleconverter Queries

Question Teleconverter Queries

hey. i have some general queries about TCs. I know they increase the focal length, but do they cause the f-stop number to increase? like a 2x TC causes an f2.8 to become 5.6? or what?

Also, do 1.4x TCs increase the f-stop number? Any recommendations for a 1.4x TC? PS: my budget is pretty tight.

Cheers
    Bryan

Default Re: Teleconverter Queries

Generally:

1) 2X TCs can be used on f/2.8 and faster lenses only, if you want to retain AF. On slower lenses, you'll have to use MF.
    2) 1.4X TCs can be used on f/4 and faster lenses only, again, if you want to retain AF.
    3) Using a 2X TC causes a loss of 2 f/stops while with a 1.4X you lose 1 f/stop. (so f/2.8 becomes f/5.6 with a 2X TC and becomes f/4 with a 1.4X TC.)
    4) Using any TC will cause some degradation in picture quality.
    5) TCs work like a magnifying glass - it magnifies whatever your lens sees. This gives you a greater zoom effect and also causes the picture quality degradation.

Consider getting the Teleplus Pro 300 DG since you're on a tight budget. Should cost around $200 or slightly more. Note that do not get the cheaper MC7 model.

Lastly, TCs may not work with some lenses, so bring along your camera and lens to test before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by kietgnoel
    Generally:

1) 2X TCs can be used on f/2.8 and faster lenses only, if you want to retain AF. On slower lenses, you'll have to use MF.
    2) 1.4X TCs can be used on f/4 and faster lenses only, again, if you want to retain AF.
    3) Using a 2X TC causes a loss of 2 f/stops while with a 1.4X you lose 1 f/stop. (so f/2.8 becomes f/5.6 with a 2X TC and becomes f/4 with a 1.4X TC.)
    4) Using any TC will cause some degradation in picture quality.
    5) TCs work like a magnifying glass - it magnifies whatever your lens sees. This gives you a greater zoom effect and also causes the picture quality degradation.

Consider getting the Teleplus Pro 300 DG since you're on a tight budget. Should cost around $200 or slightly more. Note that do not get the cheaper MC7 model.

Lastly, TCs may not work with some lenses, so bring along your camera and lens to test before buying.
    Many thanks for your reply.
    i should not get the cheaper MC7-what brand is that?

Brand is also Teleplus. Get the Pro 300 DG model.