Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is using Quantum Battery pack?

Default Who is using Quantum Battery pack?

Tinking of getting 1. Any1 tried before? Was quoted $485 in 1 of the hsop at pennisular plaza....any1 have better lobang?

Default Re: Who is using Quantum Battery pack?

Using Quantum 1+ Battery pack before, after replace battery cells twice, I DIY a homemade SLA 6V battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Using Quantum 1+ Battery pack before, after replace battery cells twice, I DIY a homemade SLA 6V battery pack.

Hi Catchlights,

very interesting to see a homemade 6V battery pack. Care to elaborate further on how to DIY one. Always have this idea in mind but just don't know how to start. Me using a Canon 580EX flash.

Is the quantum battery pack generic? As in... can be used for Canon/Nikon/3rd party flash? Or must be for specific make?

newbie here... but quantum battery pack are for speedlights rite??? to charge it faster rite???

if yes, catchlights care to share how to do a DIY one???

This homemade 6V SLA battery pack can use on any hotshoe mount flash that powered by 4 AA batteries (4X1.5V= 6V).

You will need a cable to connect the battery pack to the flash. I using existing quantum module instead of DIY it because of two reasons:
    1. I already have the quantum module.
    2. Canít find all suitable components to make it look professional done.

To make the battery pack is very easy, all you need is to have:
    • 1 piece 6V SLA ($13~$20 depend on the brand)
    • 1 battery charger for the 6V SLA (about $25.00)
    • Some wires and connector plugs
    • RCA audio jacks
    • A connector for battery charger
    • A short section of 50mm PVC pipe (cut into half to use as a housing for mounting the RCA audio jacks and the connector for battery charger)
    • Some cable ties (to fastener the PVC housing)
    • A small compact camera pouch to house to battery pack (not shown in picture)
    • Some basic electrical DIY tools and knowledge

There are many discussions about this type of homemade SLA battery pack, you can find it with Google search.

The benefit of using this battery pack is economy, and you only need to charge one battery, charging time is short and with no memory effect, and it can hold the charge for months. The only cons are bulky and heavy.

I been using the set up for many years, it is very reliable, every year just need to replace a new SLA battery.

But nowadays I switch to NiMh batteries because of NiMh 2500mah is very economy now. But will still use SLA battery pack if I donít enough time to recharge all the NiMh batteries for a few days continuer shoots.

Hope this help.

Very interesting setup! Just curious as to what's the weight of this DIY battery pack?

Is the Quantum batt that unreliable? How come u need to change twice?

Hi Catchlights,

thanks for your detail explainations.

Quote Originally Posted by kensh09
    Is the Quantum batt that unreliable? How come u need to change twice?
    Quantum battery is very good, many professional swear by it and using it in America, but in Singapore, many users facing some kind of battery cells problem, the local agent will service the battery pack for you, but many of the users find that the replacement battery cells does not perform well as compare the brand new set. I do not know why but perhaps many of us are heavy users.

I DIY a homemade 6V SLA battery pack for backup my Quantum 1+, but find out that it out perform the Quantum 1+, (4.5 mah compare to 2.5mah), so I made a switch. Btw I didnít use the Quantum 2 and the Quantum turbo, so I canít tell you my comments about these two models.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Quantum battery is very good, many professional swear by it and using it in America, but in Singapore, many users facing some kind of battery cells problem, the local agent will service the battery pack for you, but many of the users find that the replacement battery cells does not perform well as compare the brand new set. I do not know why but perhaps many of us are heavy users.

I DIY a homemade 6V SLA battery pack for backup my Quantum 1+, but find out that it out perform the Quantum 1+, (4.5 mah compare to 2.5mah), so I made a switch. Btw I didnít use the Quantum 2 and the Quantum turbo, so I canít tell you my comments about these two models.
    catchlights - any chance of making such batt packs for a fee?

the only problem is getting the cable connector for the batt pack to flash...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.Ē ― Deeksha Mittal

thanks for sharing the info, catchlights.

very interesting!!

the only thing i don't like about the 1+ is the way the cable sticks out of the battery comparment and the door not closing fully for the 550EX. was wondering how difficult it would be to get the connector to fit into canon's dedicated port at the base of the 550EX. then that would be sweet!!

Hi kensh09.

The timing of this thread is fantastic! I'm currently considering a 580EX and a CP-E3/Quantam Battery Pack combo ... so anyone can sheld some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow
    thanks for sharing the info, catchlights.

very interesting!!

the only thing i don't like about the 1+ is the way the cable sticks out of the battery comparment and the door not closing fully for the 550EX. was wondering how difficult it would be to get the connector to fit into canon's dedicated port at the base of the 550EX. then that would be sweet!!
    Quantum Module has a lever for you to secure the dummy battery inside the battery compartment, so when I using it with SB28, and SB80DX, I just leave the battery compartment door open, they do give you a Velcro strip to secure it, but I find it unnecessary, after doing it this way for few years, nothing broken. For SB800, I just need to remove the battery compartment door completely.

If you want a battry pack which can plug it at the base of Nikon flash, side of Canon flash, you canít use Quantum 1+ and it has to be Quantum Turbo, (a high voltage unit, about $650~$700 last known), or using SD8A (for Nikon), CP-E3 (for Canon)

where to get quantum battery pack ar??? n how much???

problem i found with DIY lead acid and lithium battery packs is that their peak current output is not sufficiently high to give good performance. i once tried to DIY a SLA battery pack for my camera but the current draw was too low to even start the cam properly. quantums, on the other hand, has circuitry to pump out that kinda current. i'm those 'use whatever that works' kinda person but sometimes DIY stuffs just dun make the cut.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonang
    where to get quantum battery pack ar??? n how much???

K13 at peninsular carries the quantum range.....not sure abt the price..

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    problem i found with DIY lead acid and lithium battery packs is that their peak current output is not sufficiently high to give good performance. i once tried to DIY a SLA battery pack for my camera but the current draw was too low to even start the cam properly. quantums, on the other hand, has circuitry to pump out that kinda current. i'm those 'use whatever that works' kinda person but sometimes DIY stuffs just dun make the cut.
    HI Clown,

Think the batteries comes in Voltages and Amps, like the 6V batteries, they have different amp ratings as different appliance have different loads. Usually the bigger batteries have a larger Max amp rating.

EngHong

Quote Originally Posted by enghong17
    HI Clown,

Think the batteries comes in Voltages and Amps, like the 6V batteries, they have different amp ratings as different appliance have different loads. Usually the bigger batteries have a larger Max amp rating.

EngHong
    well i think max current output depends on battery types rather than sizes, cuz alkalines and NiMH seem to be able to provide a higher current dump when compared to SLA and Li rechargable packs. if u could find a combination other than a quantum pack that can power a S2pro by itself pls let me know.. haha. think i almost given up liao.

Hi Clown,

The batteries i am talking about are those you can find at Sim Lim Tower. The hugh squarish types. They come in 6v/9v/12V and different current ratings like 1.2mAh, 1.8, 2 etc.... Generally the larger the battery the higher the current ratings. Not sure what type of batts those, think Li? Am using it for a project to power high rating motors. Those can power up even the rotating lights you see on the road, so think for S2pro should not be a prob other than the possibility a power spike which may occur.

EngHong

Just realised its called a lead acid cell, not a Li ion batt.

A tread on another forum on such batteries
    http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Last edited by enghong17; 28th September 2005 at 01:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast