Thread: my lens died

kailord
    Guests

Default my lens died

hi .. my lens died. i tried to turn the focusing ring by force even when the autofocus mechanism was engaged and now the motor doesn't turn it any more. manual still works.

i'm taking this excuse to hold a funeral for the lens .. you're all invited.
    and to get a replacement - what would be a sensible lens for a lower budget fellow?

my old lens: 28-80 sigma i think F3.5 or worse (stock lens, came with the really old EOS 1000).

i was thinking, 28-105 or more, up to 28-200, and a better F, maybe 2.8? but i saw someone quite $2100 for a 2nd hand 28-200 F2.8 and i'm thinking of giving up photography and going into gardening ....

lost.

please advice.

hyun

Blog Entries

Default Re: my lens died

Originally posted by kailord
    i was thinking, 28-105 or more, up to 28-200, and a better F, maybe 2.8? but i saw someone quite $2100 for a 2nd hand 28-200 F2.8 and i'm thinking of giving up photography and going into gardening ....
    so sorry to hear about the death of your lens ...

hmmm ... 28-200 f/2.8 ... don't think there is such a beast currently. I guess you mistakenly read 80-200 f/2.8 which Gabriel is advertising at S$2,100.

And if you are thinking of giving up photography to take up gardening ... hmmm ... you need to buy landed property first ... and if you can afford landed property, photography should be cheap in comparison

kailord
    Guests

Default seriously

seriously ... now that i have gotten over my grief ...

i was thinking of getting a 2nd hand lens from one of the places like Camera Workshop. is there a particular shop that has better prices than the rest?

Mine's an EOS1000QD, real old model. the old lens doesn't even have f-stop ring on it, it's set electronically by the camera. So, how do I know which lenses will work with this dinosaur camera?

AND if i wish to upgrade body next time, i hope this lens i'm buying will be able to work with it as well.

I will definitely want something 28mm- cos I love wide angle. Perhaps to stretch to 105mm at least, and to be able to do some F2.8 shots etc cos I like those blurred out background effects (my old lens only went down to F3.5 at 28mm and F4.5 at 80 mm).

budget is important too, i'm an amateur and i find it hard to tolerate spending anything above $600 for a lens but this rule probably has to be broken ...

please.....heeellllpp.......pppplll..e.eeasssse... heeelllpppp..