Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on Laptop

Default Re: Advise on Laptop

I think when Lenova bought over the notebook segment from IBM, the thinkpad and IBM brand still follows through. Probably IBM is recieving somekind of royalty for that. One of the most compelling reason why ppl trust and buy is still the brand.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    IBM T43 is still under IBM banner.

Using the IBM T43, superb quality and performance. Hasn't hung once yet. Photo editing is also smooth and easy, without having to wait long long for the functions to load. Gaming is fast too...
    PS: My laptop is switched on almost 7hours everyday non-stop

IBM T43
    1.86Ghz
    2GB RAM
    don't u think there're so many program running on the background, which is eating up lotsa ram?? any way to reduce it coz dunno which are the ones i dun need...??

but i must say that IBM T43 is a damn good buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Canew

+evenstar, why is the T43 still under the IBM banner? Please enlighten me, please.
    Don't have the "Product of Lenova" thingy..not sure..

Maybe since it should be already manufactured before the takeover, the registration (of patents,etc) will be under IBM? Not sure if it is transferred to Lenova after the takeover. (Don't understand all these stuff...)
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by destiny_star
    don't u think there're so many program running on the background, which is eating up lotsa ram?? any way to reduce it coz dunno which are the ones i dun need...??

but i must say that IBM T43 is a damn good buy!
    I have over 50 programs running the the background (mostly system programs), and my T43 is still working at 1.0GHz only...not yet reach its limit...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    Hi steve, it's along time that I've not heard from you since photoaid. Hope all's well with you.
    Hi Sjourn,

OT - Yes, things are going quite well. Photoaid was one of the best activities I've ever been involved in. Hope thing are well with you too.

Back on topic . This really is a strong Thinkpad group. My experience with their customer support was always a 10+ experience . This was back in the states, but I imagine it is just as good here. IIRC Thinkpads and HP's can be dropped off at any postoffice for free delivery to the service center, if that should be required.

Don't have the "Product of Lenova" thingy..not sure..

Maybe since it should be already manufactured before the takeover, the registration (of patents,etc) will be under IBM? Not sure if it is transferred to Lenova after the takeover. (Don't understand all these stuff...)
    Lenova (or Lenovo?... ) also brought over the rights to use the name IBM for...3 or 5 years after their accusation... and that include technical services and tec transfer from IBM too... we'll probably see a few more years down the road.

Me using T41... been years and it's still doign strong and good... but I pamper my lappy one... even got gaffer tape on it... hahaha so er.. it's still like new after 1.7 years...

Planing for a 2GB ram upgrade sometime now... but now running 1GB, damn steady too...

And ya, wut's tat multiburner thingi you guys had been talking about?... a DVD burner?...

I have been using Thinkpad since the days of the 600 series. For notebooks, I swear by IBM Thinkpad, and of the current generations, the T series is beyond comparison. Their deisgn is very conservative, and they dont have some of the bells and whistles like card reader etc, but they are reliable and build like a tank. Service is also excellent.

From ppl I know in Lenovo and IBM, I don't see quality going down. Lenovo cannot afford to let this happen.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

So far, all the IBM user have swear by thier machines....(and I'm quite surprised that there seem to be a deep unpenetrable relation between the owner & IBM notebooks)

And not one Acer owner has come forward with thier experience? Will wait a day or two b4 I make a decision. Right not I am swayed at 80% for the IBM while reserving 20% for the Acer .

Those that has bought the IBM b4, would your next laptop still be a IBM?

Keep them coming...

About the IBM notebook, my only complaint is the stock ram is too low, the stock HDD is too slow and the default OS is too heavy with all those IBM tools......so to over come that, upgrade the ram, mine now is at 768MB (256+512), upgrade the stock Hitachi 30GB 4200rpm to Toshiba 40GB 5400 and convert to 30GB to external storage,...and finally reinstall MS XP SP2 without all those IBM tools

The system is going happily with my day to day usage and occasional photo editing....for gaming...I have a more powerful desktop so the speed doesn't bother me at all

The T series is definately a much better bet than the Acer...... Currently using the T43. Actually, u can just get the more basic model without the fingerprint scanner. Than boost up the RAM, it should perfrom very very well.

However, the ATI 64MB graphics card is a small issue here. It is a little small....... but what the hack, the T43 is an excellent machine.

Maybe u wan to consider Fujitsu also? Excellent laptop from them, but must concede that IBM does have the best after sales service....... during office hours..

So far, all the IBM user have swear by thier machines....(and I'm quite surprised that there seem to be a deep unpenetrable relation between the owner & IBM notebooks)

And not one Acer owner has come forward with thier experience? Will wait a day or two b4 I make a decision. Right not I am swayed at 80% for the IBM while reserving 20% for the Acer .

Keep them coming...
    Absolutely, if I have the cash, that is. (Read somewhere that someone's notebook was stolen in school, and almost a year later, the notebook was recovered somewhere in hedges, covered in mud, as the thief failed to be able to startup the notebook. The owner took back the notebook, cleaned it, and powered it. Amazingly, the notebook was able to work as though nothing happened to it...
    Another case: A guy left his IBM on the floor, and accidentally drove his pickup truck over it. The whole laptop was squashed partly, but was still able to work)
    http://www-8.ibm.com/au/thinkpadlegends/ <=READ to believe!

I'm not sure of the performance of the Acer Ferrari though..
    Last edited by +evenstar; 23rd September 2005 at 05:58 PM.
    eat. drink. shoot

Yo boss, i recommend Thinkpads too... I am using an X31 now, previously using T40, T22 at work - no problem with them at all. Used to work with Dells and Acers, they are heavy and ugly and i lost track of the number of calls i made to the dell support lines.

I trust IBM quality In fact i am eyeing on another IBM thinkpad now Love the X series
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Keep them coming...
    Well, I have to admid partially is for face sack......because IBM sounds more branded in notebook(everyone said that when I bought mine) and they are more serious looking.......imagine in business presentation......2 unknown speaker......one use IBM and another use Acer....which one you choose?

But then actually their notebook really robush and the keyboard is one of the best I have tried......In my company...we have a few brand like IBM, Toshiba and Compaq....but after two three years of usage....only IBM still looks reasonable good in shape....all of them are equally reliable but the wear sign is more obvious for the later two

Keep them coming...
    I've seen acer notebooks hinges crack and snap off before.. i've seen the housing crack due to extreme temperatures.

I've seen an IBM X31 accidentally smash onto the flaw spewing its guts out.. but after putting back the HDD .. it functions normally.

IBM T43 - Nuff said.

Btw, Thinkpad's casing finish resembles Sigma's EX 'Zen' finish

Seems like this the way to go....what do you think of this specs from HK?

IBM T43
    Price: $16,988

CPU: Intel® Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73GHz)
    System Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
    Hard Disk: 80GB (5400rpm)

FREE Targus mouse + Targus 4 in 1 hub (ATARMOUSEBUN + ATARHUBBUN)
    $200 discount on notebook upon purchase of digital camera

Optical Drive: Multi-Burner DVD-RW
    Graphics Accelerator: ATI Mobility Rodeon X300 64MB RAM
    Display: 14.1" SXGA+ TFT LCD (1400 x 1050)
    Weight: 2.22kg
    Interface: Gigabit Ethernet- Integrated
    Wireless Lan: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    PC Card Slot: 1 Type I/II and 1 ExpressCard/54
    Battery: 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
    Warranty: 3-year parts and labour (system battery: one year)
    Dimension (WxHxD): 311 x 255 x 26.6 mm
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Professional)
    Chipset: Intel® 915

Seems like this the way to go....what do you think of this specs from HK?

IBM T43
    Price: $16,988

FREE Targus mouse + Targus 4 in 1 hub (ATARMOUSEBUN + ATARHUBBUN)
    $200 discount on notebook upon purchase of digital camera

Optical Drive: Multi-Burner DVD-RW
    Graphics Accelerator: ATI Mobility Rodeon X300 64MB RAM
    Display: 14.1" SXGA+ TFT LCD (1400 x 1050)
    Weight: 2.22kg
    Interface: Gigabit Ethernet- Integrated
    Wireless Lan: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
    PC Card Slot: 1 Type I/II and 1 ExpressCard/54
    Battery: 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
    Warranty: 3-year parts and labour (system battery: one year)
    Dimension (WxHxD): 311 x 255 x 26.6 mm
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Professional)
    Chipset: Intel® 915

my HDD is only 52GB, but is 1.86GHz, inbuilt 1GB RAM, upgraded to 2GB. DVD-drive, but CD-RW only...
    eat. drink. shoot

Go for the IBM 'T' Series if you don't mind the classic IBM look, nothing too special about it. Well built and light. And IBM has pretty nifty software and backup tools, I personally like "IBM Access Connections" and the nice backup they put in a partition in the harddisk, so just push a button and viola, instant restore.

Only disadvantage is the lack of the Windows key, which i configured my right Alt key as a replacement..
    eat. drink. shoot

Only disadvantage is the lack of the Windows key, which i configured my right Alt key as a replacement..
    I don't miss that at all... I just hit CTRL+ESC if i need to access the 'start' button

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast