Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD wedding/Event: 2 cam or change lens?

Default Re: AD wedding/Event: 2 cam or change lens?

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    wah....thats like once per minute.......so fast.....lucky you not using film or not your hands will be so full.....changing lens and film.....siao liao....
    a few 4gb CFs can solve lots of storage space problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    a few 4gb CFs can solve lots of storage space problem.
    or maybe a 8gb??

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Sigh, read the various shooters sharing intently, still back to the same dilemma. Will practice changing lens and anticipating the flow of events. Too newbie to invest in another cam without assurance of its usage anyway. Thanks for the responses.
    If you want to shoot event and get paid, backup body is a must, even it is putting in the camera bag for assurance.

no cash for 2 body .. normally the flow is planned for the wedding or the evnt itself . so roughly you can gauge the thing you need to cover with the different lens and where to stand. I cant imagine shooting open air wedding without blocking the audience.. then when so you stand.. using a tele lens like that ?? it the 18-35 for me 80% of the time and occasionally , i get to use my 28 - 70 or the 24 -120

it depends on the even also.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If you want to shoot event and get paid, backup body is a must, even it is putting in the camera bag for assurance.
    Agree, a backup body is a must in paid or important assignment, coz anything can screw up with your main cam, cam err99, or whatever, which you cannot afford to have. (Ever heard of Murphy's Law?) If cannot afford digital, even a film slr with a few rolls would suffice, just as an insurance lar. But doesn't mean u die die have to sling two bodies everywhere u go.

Best is, bring spares of everything. Batts, CF card, camera body, maybe even flashgun, and at least 2 or more lens even if you intend on using only one for that particular shoot.

Still an understudy, desperately trying to learn whatever I can to get ready to take on assignments. I do see the need for a backup cam if I'm charging for assignments. Eventually, cameras being cameras, you never know when things will go wrong, and it's only professional to have contingency plans for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    it's only professional to have contingency plans for emergencies.
    I like your attitude. if you cannot afford to get a new cam, then you can borrow from a good buddy.. and pay a small rental fee.. like 20-30 dollars, or buy him/her dinner.. or a cuppa, really buddies don't count.. and are not petty.. hehe.. then use the money from your assignment to save and get a backup cam.

If you are shooting weddings and such.. it is imperative to have a backup cam. This is a very important day for the couple, I always ask myself.. what if my photographer's cam died on my big day.. would I be furious? I certainly would.. and it would just spoil the mood for the day,and also your reputation.

If you cannot find the justification to get a one-to-one model of your main cam, you can always settle with a downgraded version that can still do the job, like instead of buying another D2x.. or D70.. you can get a D50 as a backup.. or if you are a canon user.. a 350D, 300D, 10D.. or D60.. this are available in numbers from the second hand market..

Another way.. is.. if you cannot afford another cam, find a buddy that also wants to learn the tricks of the trade and get him to shoot along with you.. In such cases, I usually tell the other buddy photographer, that no post processing is needed and you do all the post processing. Also.. the small token.. or a cuppa.. or a meal is a good thing.. to foster better ties.. and friendship too..
    Last edited by gadrian; 26th September 2005 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    I like your attitude. if you cannot afford to get a new cam, then you can borrow from a good buddy.. and pay a small rental fee.. like 20-30 dollars, or buy him/her dinner.. or a cuppa, really buddies don't count.. and are not petty.. hehe.. then use the money from your assignment to save and get a backup cam.

If you are shooting weddings and such.. it is imperative to have a backup cam. This is a very important day for the couple, I always ask myself.. what if my photographer's cam died on my big day.. would I be furious? I certainly would.. and it would just spoil the mood for the day,and also your reputation.

If you cannot find the justification to get a one-to-one model of your main cam, you can always settle with a downgraded version that can still do the job, like instead of buying another D2x.. or D70.. you can get a D50 as a backup.. or if you are a canon user.. a 350D, 300D, 10D.. or D60.. this are available in numbers from the second hand market..

Another way.. is.. if you cannot afford another cam, find a buddy that also wants to learn the tricks of the trade and get him to shoot along with you.. In such cases, I usually tell the other buddy photographer, that no post processing is needed and you do all the post processing. Also.. the small token.. or a cuppa.. or a meal is a good thing.. to foster better ties.. and friendship too..
    Thanks I have considered the option of a 10D or D60, even an SLR as a backup. Currently I do own an EOS 66 which I use as kind of backup. When I shoot solo, will definitely bring more film to provide more decent backup. The idea of bringing along someone who wants to experience wedding shoots it is definitely novel for me. Will definitely keep that option. But I guess from the first few payouts of paid assignments, I would most likely save everything to get another spare DSLR. In fact, I had spent literally all my savings on my current set of equipment. Reckless, yes. But I'm sure it's worthwhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12