Thread: Slide scanning and storage

Default Slide scanning and storage

After scanning a slide using coolscan or something, how big is the output, what is the file format and how would you archive these shots? I heard the output is 35MB. Thats large.

Default Re: Slide scanning and storage

Originally posted by maddog
    After scanning a slide using coolscan or something, how big is the output, what is the file format and how would you archive these shots? I heard the output is 35MB. Thats large.
    A 2900dpi scan of full frame 35mm film at 12-bit per channel comes up to about 70MB.

A 4000dpi, 16-bit per channel scan will come up to about 130MB.

Time to invest in DVD-R.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Slide scanning and storage

2900dpi @ 8-bit, TIFF = 35MB+/-
    2900dpi @12-bit, TIFF = 70MB +/-

Holy!! I guess for most images, I'd convert to JPEG and store. Only save as TIFF for those keeper shots.

May I know what is the differenece between the jpeg and TIFF format? Thanks!

Originally posted by Gunjack
    May I know what is the differenece between the jpeg and TIFF format? Thanks!
    Simplified explanation:
    JPEG: compressed file format. small.
    TIFF: in all its glory format. big.

I mean in image quality wise, is it a noticeable difference? Sorry, i don't really have a digital camera...

(1) is there any real need to save as 48bit tiffs? scanning at 48bits in order to recover/extract shadow/highlights.. fine. But after recovering/extracting shadow/highlights, save as 24 bit is good enough. At least, I would say that theres no difference in print out. Whats more important is the colourspace - Adobe RGB rather than sRGB (but again, tiny difference - esp if you're monitor/printer is uncalibrated)

(2) Compressed 2900 dpi 24 bit tiffs are usually under 20Mb

(3) You have the right idea about only saving 'keepers' as tiffs. For all other purposes, high quality JPGs are fine.