Thread: Question on external 2.5" HDD connected via USB.

Default Question on external 2.5" HDD connected via USB.

Hello everyone,

I just started using an external 2.5" HDD connected via the USB port. When I plug in the external drive, my PC will automatically detect the drive. I will then do my backing up process.

My question is: upon completion of my backing up, I would normally just unplug it from the USB port once I notice that the indicator lamp is not blinking. Is this method OK?

I have also (once only) tried to use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' method but there was a message stating that the PC could not stop the device due to reasons that I cannot recall.

Please advice. TIA.
    Last edited by Canew; 22nd September 2005 at 11:57 AM.

Default Re: Question on external 2.5" HDD connected via USB.

if you are afraid, just try to shut down the PC entirely then remove the drive. thats imho the safest.

I have also (once only) tried to use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' method but there was a message stating that the PC could not stop the device due to reasons that I cannot recall.

Try a few times lor, I am using one with the laptop. So far, no such problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew

Please advice. TIA.
    If you are accessing some files on the external HDD or even you are accessing a folder at that time or if there is any application accessing your HDD, you would get that error message. Sometimes you have already closed the file but you have not close the application that you used to access the file (eg. you have closed your document file in your microsoft word but you have not closed microsoft word application yet), you might get that error message also. If you are not accessing your HDD, then wait for a few second and try again. It would work.
    Last edited by zeith; 24th September 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeith
    If you are accessing some files on the external HDD or even you are accessing a folder at that time or if there is any application accessing your HDD, you would get that error message. Sometimes you have already closed the file but you have not close the application that you used to access the file (eg. you have closed your document file in your microsoft word but you have not closed microsoft word application yet), you might get that error message also. If you are not accessing your HDD, then wait for a few second and try again. It would work.
    zeith, thanks. Will heed to your advice.