Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheapest rangefinder

LOL so much response! latent hot topic...
    I just wanna play play that's why it's to be cheap...
    kinda missed the clackety clack feeling in the fm2... but can't afford it again LOL...
    I been reading around after I posted this... I can live with a fixed lens.. not likely I wd want to tele for this lol...
    But the range of range finders (lol) is astounding, bessa, fed, voight, kiev, canonet + reg brands etc... haha think russian wd be cool... (and cheap) wonder if they got any 50mm 1.4s...

probably looking for one with:
    35 to 50 mm... f1.8
    fixed lens also can
    basic metering (ala FM2's +o- is enough)
    fully mechanical and
    CHEAP (can afford to give someone else)

haha maybe I play with the lomo quad first... if it's water proof
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

YSLee is selling Yahica GT for $100.

I know... that's why wondering if I can get something even CHEAPER.. lol in case I wanna use it as a doorstop after 2 rolls...
    can't find GT though... the websites usually have the whole curmudgeon of yashica mentioned in the same sentence...

Anything cheaper and it will be a toy, not a real camera. Look for something around the $100 range.

Canonet QL17's are excellent value for the money. They have shutter priority, built in meter and flash sync till 1/500s. My olympus T20 flash gives me great results with the Canonet.

haha canon again.. is that a new price or used price?

Would u believe there was a guy at clementi interchange who spread out some stuff to sell this afternoon? He had a Canonet QL17 (and some Rainbow cameras), but the plastic in front of the viewfinder is cracked and there was a massive ding at the bottom of the camera. Lots of dust and rust. Couldnt open the back of the camera even lifting the film winder, but I didnt try very hard. He wanted $50 for it and claimed that it's being sold for $2000! Perhaps could have bargined to $15 and tried to clean it up. Failing which it could have served as a nice doorstopper as its rather heavy.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    YSLee is selling Yahica GT for $100.
    Thanks for the mention, a few things about the camera:

- Nice high contrast orange rangefinding window.. makes it easier to focus.
    - No hotshoe, only PC sync cord.
    - AE mainly, Aperture Priority, with only 1/30 speed for flash and B mode.
    - Nice fast 45mm f/1.7 lens.
    - 55mm filter thread, easier to find filters.
    - Oh, and I've managed to construct my own battery using 4 LR44s.. the thing works fine, shot a roll of slides, looks fine to me.

"Away with thee foul Spawnne of Helle! Tempteth me not with Thy saccharine offerings"
    LOL
    sigh lemme read some more first

Originally posted by denizenx
    I know... that's why wondering if I can get something even CHEAPER..
    just a thot: u can pm jasphotography. He's got lots of antique cameras.

Originally posted by Jed
    The problem with the Electro 35 is the battery.
    Just found out that there would not be a problem and there's actually a workaround ;P

The issue is that they used to use 6V mercury batteries but this has stopped production so u use a 6V Alkaline 4LR44 battery plus 12 one-cent coins ;PPP to top up the difference in height and it actually works!!!

Originally posted by Jed
    The problem with the Electro 35 is the battery.

There are a number of decent, cheap Russian RFs out there, which accept screw thread lenses, so should you strike it rich and also lose whatever little common sense you had, you can attach those German lenses. You know, the ones with the red spot.
    those German screw thread lenses with the little red dot probably don't require one to be rich to own one......
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by Red Dawn

those German screw thread lenses with the little red dot probably don't require one to be rich to own one......
    Oh yes, just need to lose one's sanity...

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    Suggest you go down to a used camera shop to try out the rangefinder. I did that yesterday with a Bessa-R2. OK so it did not have a little red dot, but the viewfinder is supposed to be even better than the little red dot's.
    trying out a Bessa first was exactly wat i did months ago. Great....u're getting there.....it's a matter of time. Resistance is futile....

I had the good sense not to touch the M6, it's like golf or heroin - just say no.
    It's not that bad. it's like Marijuana though, which is a good alternative......

I figure this rangefinder thing is not for me. It was interesting and entertaining reading up on them, though, especially the orgasmic gushiness of the reviews of the M6 and Voigtlanders.
    LOL.....yes i know wat u mean. u need to read more balanced reports about these rangefinder thingys, especially the branded ones

try these more down to earth readings....

Paul Butzi's M6 review

Paul is a theatre photographer who also own an EOS system and uses both in this theatrical forays, and applies a much more objective view of both systems. Make sure u browse his Leica lens review section and see his gallery. Especially the gallery. He also has a Theatre 101 page which has plenty of good tips for shooting theatre productions.

The Leica, the SLR and the eye of the photographer

A good read for an insight of how different camera systems can work together.....

J'Accuse Leica

Not everybody worships their Leica!

Generation-X Leica Snobs

Superbly entertaining and humourous Leica user, this guy Kyle Cassidy is a complete riot See his Truth About Leica Cameras discourse, which is quite a lesson in self deprecating humour. Better still, browse his site from the first page - guaranteed hours of entertainment if u really browse through every single page, including his Photo-A-Week project....
    David Teo

Originally posted by Red Dawn

yeah cheap stuff like those dumb italian cars that can't even avoid a road hump...

Hi

btw for those who want to know more about the cheap little Canonnet, Kyle Cassidy (who else ) has a writeup of it, complete with his brand of humour....
    David Teo

Originally posted by mpenza

yar hor. It's just a compact camera with AP and other controls. I must have been reading too much Cameras like Contax G1/G2 would be rangefinders right? Saw a G1 on auction at Yahoo for $900 with a Carl Zeis lens.
    [/url]
    repeat after me......

Contaxes are not true rangefinders.....

David Teo

/me throws glutinous rice grains at red dawn..
    is TMZ available locally? lol

Interested in Argus C3 Rangefinder?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jamesahal.../C3/parts.html

someone is selling it in Yahoo auction.
    http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....0?aucview=0x10

I was interested but it's a bit bigger than I thought.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by ckiang
    The Lomo/Holga are NOT rangefinder cameras. Rangefinder cameras have a rangefinder (duh) to help you to focus. Usually, a focussing patch with 2 coincident images are deployed. You turn the focussing ring until the 2 align perfectly. When they align, the picture will be in focus.

A good rangefinder camera to try out would be the Canon Canonet GIII QL17 or the Yashica Electro 35 or the GSN version. You can buy them off eBay for cheap.

Regards
    CK
    Hi,

I am just recently reading up about range finders and hope you can point me to a few useful websites that explain how these systems work.

I noticed you mention that a Lomo/Holga is not a rangefinder camera. However, while surfing on ebay.com, I came upon this item. Could you tell me what it's used for then if the Lomo is not a rangefinder camera? Or is it some cheap alternative or a pathetic excuse for a rangefinder?

It's just as it says.. it's a rangefinder. (not rangefinder camera)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast