Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lens problem need help!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    30

    Lightbulb Lens problem need help!

    Hi, I have a Canon lens 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 ultrasonic. When AF mode I hold the shuttle button to forces, the lens mechanism making noise. Ultrasonic lens should be quiet right?

    Got fungus on top of lens, but not really serious.

    Please advise if me, AF mechanism got problem.
    If anyone willing to take a look would be better.

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    How close are you to your subject? All lenses have a minimum focus distance. If you get to that point, the AF will try to focus which can result in some noise when the focus hits the mechanical hard stop in the lens.
    Get the fungus cleared soonest, pictures won't get any better with fungus and it could spread to camera and sensor.
    EOS

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    How close are you to your subject? All lenses have a minimum focus distance. If you get to that point, the AF will try to focus which can result in some noise when the focus hits the mechanical hard stop in the lens.
    Get the fungus cleared soonest, pictures won't get any better with fungus and it could spread to camera and sensor.
    Any recommendation where got cheap service? $50 or more?

  4. #4
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,365

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    contact fatigue

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    contact fatigue
    Got contact no. ?

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence Ho View Post
    Got contact no. ?
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/membe...boutme#aboutme

    You can find his contact number in his signature.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Thanks Shierwin and Skystrike

    Hi Terence Ho,

    Is the lens unable to lock focus during AF. If yes, The quick back and forth movement of the USM is causing it to squeak,
    Usually, the repair would require the USM assembly to be replaced.
    Bad news: this is an old lens, replacement parts may not be available

    I have seen similar problems on "not so new Canon lenses", and most of the time, the root-cause is simply an oil leak to the lens sensor bar (This part gives feedback to the microprocessor on the actual movement of the USM)
    An oil leak to this part will lead to microprocesor blindly driving the USM.

    Good news: cleaning the sensor bar from oil usually works
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Thanks Shierwin and Skystrike

    Hi Terence Ho,

    Is the lens unable to lock focus during AF. If yes, The quick back and forth movement of the USM is causing it to squeak,
    Usually, the repair would require the USM assembly to be replaced.
    Bad news: this is an old lens, replacement parts may not be available

    I have seen similar problems on "not so new Canon lenses", and most of the time, the root-cause is simply an oil leak to the lens sensor bar (This part gives feedback to the microprocessor on the actual movement of the USM)
    An oil leak to this part will lead to microprocesor blindly driving the USM.

    Good news: cleaning the sensor bar from oil usually works
    Hi, Can I ask you?
    I got a Tamron 28-300mm tele lens. Every photo I shoot the camera will show me an error. I forget what is the error but the photo was took. I just need to press another time shutter then the error gone so I can continue shoot the next photo. Sometime have to on off the camera.
    This only happened when using this lens.
    Canon EOS 400D, Lens: 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4

  9. #9
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyCoffee View Post
    Hi, Can I ask you?
    I got a Tamron 28-300mm tele lens. Every photo I shoot the camera will show me an error. I forget what is the error but the photo was took. I just need to press another time shutter then the error gone so I can continue shoot the next photo. Sometime have to on off the camera.
    This only happened when using this lens.
    I presume the lens is a Canon mount. If yes, then I suspect the flexible cable for aperture was partially damaged.
    For Canon mount lens, the aperture is controlled fly-by-wire. Inside the lens, is a flexible cable that runs all the way from the main board (usually place near the mount), to the aperture mechanism located at the center . As you zoom in and out, the cable gets flexed and after some time, the cable gets damaged.
    The cable consists of 2 sets of wires. One set of wires drives the aperture motor close/open. Another set of wires to monitor the aperture is fully open.
    Most likely for your case, the wires that monitor the aperture were damaged.
    So the aperture still works, and you can still take photos, but the processor couldn’t detect the aperture is fully open so it triggers an error display.
    After the camera was turned OFF/ON, it “forgets” the error message sent by the lens.
    So if the current state is clear, you can still shoot
    But on a different level, errors (error history) are stored in camera’s EPROM for service diagnostics purposes.
    In addition, flexible cable replacement is available online, so the lens can be fixed


    Hope that helps

    David
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I presume the lens is a Canon mount. If yes, then I suspect the flexible cable for aperture was partially damaged.
    For Canon mount lens, the aperture is controlled fly-by-wire. Inside the lens, is a flexible cable that runs all the way from the main board (usually place near the mount), to the aperture mechanism located at the center . As you zoom in and out, the cable gets flexed and after some time, the cable gets damaged.
    The cable consists of 2 sets of wires. One set of wires drives the aperture motor close/open. Another set of wires to monitor the aperture is fully open.
    Most likely for your case, the wires that monitor the aperture were damaged.
    So the aperture still works, and you can still take photos, but the processor couldn’t detect the aperture is fully open so it triggers an error display.
    After the camera was turned OFF/ON, it “forgets” the error message sent by the lens.
    So if the current state is clear, you can still shoot
    But on a different level, errors (error history) are stored in camera’s EPROM for service diagnostics purposes.
    In addition, flexible cable replacement is available online, so the lens can be fixed


    Hope that helps

    David


    Wow, same like what I suspected. When zoom in zoom out, I saw the cable inside got a path like abnormal but I can't confirm it.
    Normally how much charge for this repair? Do you still providing repair service?

    Thanks a lot, Pro David. ^_^
    Canon EOS 400D, Lens: 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4

  11. #11
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyCoffee View Post
    Wow, same like what I suspected. When zoom in zoom out, I saw the cable inside got a path like abnormal but I can't confirm it.
    Normally how much charge for this repair? Do you still providing repair service?

    Thanks a lot, David. ^_^
    Yes, I still do.

    Thanks,
    David
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Thanks David.

    I'm thinking of replacing with Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. I have read review about this lens saying it's bad in low light. Any recommendation for this lens?

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence Ho View Post
    Thanks David.

    I'm thinking of replacing with Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. I have read review about this lens saying it's bad in low light. Any recommendation for this lens?
    Use flash.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Lens problem need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Terence Ho View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing with Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. I have read review about this lens saying it's bad in low light. Any recommendation for this lens?
    Please define "low light" and what you intend to do. Do not simply take over phrases from reviews without context.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •