Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Carry a Heavy Tripod on a Plane

Deregistered

Default Re: How to Carry a Heavy Tripod on a Plane

put it in a bag.

If the cost of the tripod is not high, then go ahead and risk having to check it in at the last minute. However, if the tripod is expensive, then either dun bring it along or else pack it in a solid luggage and check it in.

Default All these while travelling

Hiee....

All these while travelling on flights to Asiapac and the US, i have yet to hand carry my tripod. I normally put it into my luggage bag - i have a 3 section CF + ballhead just nice fitting into my normal luggage bag.

So far, this beats having to carry the tripod into the security and also risk of having the tripod to be used as weapon as the legs comes with sharp pointed spokes.

Sometimes i really feel ashamed of myself seeing locals (Singaporeans) lugging more than one carry-on board items that takes more space then they should. Seen too much of it and once i awhile had to nicely talk to the person in hope that he/she don't to that in the future.

Juz imagine there are 300 photographers on board each carrying a tripod.....into the cabon....whoo hoooO!!!
    So ...safe travelling...

rgds,
    sulhan
    Last edited by sulhan; 22nd September 2005 at 09:31 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

I dont mind checking it in, the concern is not to protect the tripod. The concern is not to hold my group up with me having to pick up the tripod from baggage (and potentially getting it delayed) when the rest of the group does not have anything to check in.

Quote Originally Posted by songandesther
    If the cost of the tripod is not high, then go ahead and risk having to check it in at the last minute. However, if the tripod is expensive, then either dun bring it along or else pack it in a solid luggage and check it in.

Default Re: All these while travelling

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Hiee....

Sometimes i really feel ashamed of myself seeing locals (Singaporeans) lugging more than one carry-on board items that takes more space then they should. Seen too much of it and once i awhile had to nicely talk to the person in hope that he/she don't to that in the future.

Juz imagine there are 300 photographers on board each carrying a tripod.....into the cabon....whoo hoooO!!!

rgds,
    sulhan

You really do that UNJOKINGLY with serious hope??

My experience so far, Singaporeans fare quite well in this respect. Many of those who do it could be 'very infrequent traveller' - such as tourists' who would have forgotten that someone spoke to them the next time they travel. I am sure you have seen some other nationals, and plane load is always international. IMHO, at the present suitation, only strict check at the boarding gate can have real impact.

Other than for the exceptional few kiasu, I would not use the word ashame to describe my feeling - many Singaporeans do not have the privilege of flying frequently and are inexperience - so to speak, unlike you or some of us. Maybe you can suggest to SIA or the tourist board and help promote this on national level.

..300 photographers - extrema argument! Dun need that, a number times I have problem even for my overnighter!

Default Re: All these while travelling

I was stopped by security and they demanded that the tripod had to be checked in. Unfortunately they could not retreive my bag for me to put my tripod in. Had to go around the airport to buy a new bag to put the tripod. Complete waste of my time and money. This was in Malaysia.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I dont mind checking it in, the concern is not to protect the tripod. The concern is not to hold my group up with me having to pick up the tripod from baggage (and potentially getting it delayed) when the rest of the group does not have anything to check in.
    I understand.

In that case, just try your luck!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    if you are checking in at any US airport, tripod must be checked in, unless it's one of those really small lightweight ones. Just remember to detatch the ballhead, if you are using one. I will normally carry that with me or put it in my suitcase.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    if you are checking in at any US airport, tripod must be checked in, unless it's one of those really small lightweight ones. Just remember to detatch the ballhead, if you are using one. I will normally carry that with me or put it in my suitcase.
    Good advice. I put mine in a Lowepro 1W lens case if it has to be packed separately. Quite convenient.

Cheers,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12