Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just dropped my tripod

Blog Entries

Default Re: just dropped my tripod

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Mine is the "naked" leg version. It is raw aluminium colour which is good. I find the black one to be cool BUT...battle scars are more easily seen. If it is as old it must be those that uses the nut and bolt not those quick release one which I dont quite like. I am very old school with tripod like this heheh...Nut tightening is alot more reliable and long lasting.
    same as mine, only mine is the black version, equipped with the same heavy 029 head

dropped my 190 in the mrt train in between coaches where they have the metal swivel plate on the floor.. very malu ..everybody stared at me.. tripod still working fine..no rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes
    dropped my 190 in the mrt train in between coaches where they have the metal swivel plate on the floor.. very malu ..everybody stared at me.. tripod still working fine..no rust.

Ouch!...that must have been pretty damn loud! heh.....am sure you shocked some of the commuters for sure heheh....

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Its very difficult to have a tripod that "looks new". Tripods are meant to be abused, eg banged around, dropped frequently, stuck in the sand, stood on the water, etc.
    (Psss, I know how u feel, when I first dropped my tripod years ago, my heart was so pain I stared straight at the tripod for almost 20 minutes)

when i first scatch my powerbook screen, i stared at it for 2 hours...

Looks like you guys have had your tripods for a long time and you could help me with a problem..

I have a Manfrotto 190B + 141RC combo. I bought it 2nd hand so not sure how old it is. Externally it looks fine. Now I want to replace 141RC with a ball head because it is too bluky and a pain to carry.
    Only problem is that I cant unscrew the head off the tripod. I tried all the force I could muster.I am at my wits end , how to get this head off.

Can someone suggest a solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by rahul
    Looks like you guys have had your tripods for a long time and you could help me with a problem..

I have a Manfrotto 190B + 141RC combo. I bought it 2nd hand so not sure how old it is. Externally it looks fine. Now I want to replace 141RC with a ball head because it is too bluky and a pain to carry.
    Only problem is that I cant unscrew the head off the tripod. I tried all the force I could muster.I am at my wits end , how to get this head off.

Maybe the central screw you connect the 141RC had tanished somewhat especially if you have not taken it off for along time. It cause the grove to be somewhat "stuck" together. You might need to spray some WD40 in between. Spray with the small red tube into the tight space between this two parts. It might look like it is not going it but the light liquid will slowly be surely sip in and start up the screw groove.

Your 141RC is very much like my 029. There was times it freeze up and will not unscrew. Most likley I manhandled it too tightly when I screw it on so it just was too tight to get it off. Now what I would do it tighten the screw that extend the central column pole from the leg joint portion as tight as you can. This will keep the central piece from moving around. Next Tighten the lever that controls the left to right panning plane. Tighten it as hard as you can. Don't worry too much, it is easier to unscrewthis one later then the one you are having trouble with. Once you have tighten it. Now you hold that tighter lever and with your other hand hold the 3 leg portion ( or get some one to hold on to it ) now twist the (left to right anning) lever anti-clock wise and with some luck...you should get it off now. If not...try to spray abit more WD40 and wait abit longer like 10 mins then try to twist it open again.

Hope this works.
    Last edited by sammy888; 28th September 2005 at 10:10 AM.

my tripod i'm using is ~30years old. and the paint didn't even peel because there is no paint! hahah it's a very old model of slik which I cannot find the model number for it anymore. Aluminium alloy is good. Polish/wipe it up a bit and it looks like new again.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by rahul

Rise the centre column, look at the base which connect the tripod head, it should have 3 little screws, the screws is to lock the tripod head to prevent became lose, you just need to loosen it, and you will be able to remove the tripod head.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    my tripod i'm using is ~30years old. and the paint didn't even peel because there is no paint! hahah it's a very old model of slik which I cannot find the model number for it anymore. Aluminium alloy is good. Polish/wipe it up a bit and it looks like new again.
    I hope it is not those old old one we see in movies, made of wooden legs one.....

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Like this? the number 3 tripod?

Looks like it has just came back from a battlefield.

Rise the centre column, look at the base which connect the tripod head, it should have 3 little screws, the screws is to lock the tripod head to prevent became lose, you just need to loosen it, and you will be able to remove the tripod head.

damn! ...good call!.. almost forgot about that bit heh.....usually I am too lazy to set that up each time I change heads heh....

Thanks. You are a lifesaver.
    That worked like a dream.
    Head practically dropped off once I unscrewed those three lil ones.

cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12