Thread: My first Esplanade performance: Portrait of an Empress

Default My first Esplanade performance: Portrait of an Empress

Just watched the above musical, one word: SUPERB. I'm not a musical junkie, haven't watched the reknown Les Mis nor Miss Saigon, but thoroughly enjoyed Portrait of an Empress. Adorned with local talents like Kit Chan, Adrian Pang, Hossan Leong and more, it was really refreshing and inspirational to hear them croon. Never knew Adrian Pang can sing so well, Hossan Leong was the jester of the show, and Kit Chan did extremely well with her powerful vocals. The choreography and screenplay have a good mix of chinese essence and western touch, both complemented each other well. Some parts are a little cliche, but the good pieces made up for it. Lightings was beautiful, so were the costumes and props.

Then, on to the Esplanade itself. Despite feeling the much-commented "stifled" mannerisms of the audiences (well everyone tried to look and speak as refinely as possible), I'm glad we have the place. The Theatre hall was really grand, and the acoustics and lighting facilities are world-class. The stage was so deep they could use a few layers of backdrop! One complain is that leg space is inadequate, and aisles are insufficient. If you enter late and you're sitting in the middle of the row, be prepared to say lots of sorry's and excuse-me's while u shuffle your way through.

I'm really looking forward to another local musical/production, or just any good performance at the Esplanade.

Default Re: My first Esplanade performance: Portrait of an Empress

Originally posted by Tweek
    Just watched the above musical, one word: SUPERB. I'm not a musical junkie, haven't watched the reknown Les Mis nor Miss Saigon, but thoroughly enjoyed Portrait of an Empress. Adorned with local talents like Kit Chan, Adrian Pang, Hossan Leong and more, it was really refreshing and inspirational to hear them croon. Never knew Adrian Pang can sing so well, Hossan Leong was the jester of the show, and Kit Chan did extremely well with her powerful vocals. The choreography and screenplay have a good mix of chinese essence and western touch, both complemented each other well. Some parts are a little cliche, but the good pieces made up for it. Lightings was beautiful, so were the costumes and props.

Then, on to the Esplanade itself. Despite feeling the much-commented "stifled" mannerisms of the audiences (well everyone tried to look and speak as refinely as possible), I'm glad we have the place. The Theatre hall was really grand, and the acoustics and lighting facilities are world-class. The stage was so deep they could use a few layers of backdrop! One complain is that leg space is inadequate, and aisles are insufficient. If you enter late and you're sitting in the middle of the row, be prepared to say lots of sorry's and excuse-me's while u shuffle your way through.

I'm really looking forward to another local musical/production, or just any good performance at the Esplanade.
    You managed to get tickets eh? Read that it was sold out...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Default Re: Re: My first Esplanade performance: Portrait of an Empress

Originally posted by Wolfgang

You managed to get tickets eh? Read that it was sold out...
    booked it pretty early, like 2 months back. But I did see some empty seats though....shouldn't be sold out.

Default Re: Re: Re: My first Esplanade performance: Portrait of an Empress

Originally posted by Tweek

booked it pretty early, like 2 months back. But I did see some empty seats though....shouldn't be sold out.

Hmmmm... maybe i should go check out the ticketing office again.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

there was an article in today's ST [Life! section, I think]
    about how the Esplanade and Sistic should come
    up with some sort of exchange or return policy for
    tickets so that others will be able to watch the performance
    if you cannot make it.

Wow..
    Your description of the Esplanade makes me wanna go for the musical "Singing in the rain"...

But I was contemplating whether to save my cash for Oliver! next year or not...

How ah?

JaDe
    Guests

I was never opera geek nore person bout music BUT i've ALWAYS found some of this stage gigs pretty interest...my skoo brought me to Miss Saigon, CHang n Eng and a few others n amazingly from dread came interest
    =)
    They're always interesting..something different from movies...