Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Share your workflow

  1. #1

    Default Share your workflow

    Hi All

    I just thought the following might be useful to others after some trial and error.

    Sharing my workflow:
    1) I used to only shoot JPG but lately only RAW (just RAW without JPG).
    2) Use Bibble Pro to open to adjust EV, levels etc.
    3) From Bibble Pro, export as high quality JPG to a EXPORTED FOLDER
    4) Use Picassa 2 to view EXPORTED FOLDER
    5) Use Picassa 2 to crop, add effects then re-export to DESTINATION FOLDER according to the purpose (e.g. for posting or printing)

    Note:
    a) Picassa is free wherea Bibble Pro is not. I find Bibble very friendly and fast. Have not compared to Oly Studio though.
    b) With RAW, you do no really need to do auto bracketing. Even WB can be adjusted.
    Last edited by digitalbuff; 21st September 2005 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    hihi,

    my work flow.

    -oly studio--> from Raw to 16bit tiff
    -CS2 --> crop & save as tiff
    -acdsee--> convert to jpeg


  3. #3

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by chii
    hihi,

    my work flow.

    -oly studio--> from Raw to 16bit tiff
    -CS2 --> crop & save as tiff
    -acdsee--> convert to jpeg

    raw -> oly studio -> high function mode -> save as jpg

  4. #4

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by bariq
    raw -> oly studio -> high function mode -> save as jpg
    I like tiff cos it gives better colors when tweakin in PS

  5. #5

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by chii
    I like tiff cos it gives better colors when tweakin in PS

    oops i shouldnt have quoted your msg... i was telling my work flow.... dont know these days so many mistakes... stress stress stress

  6. #6
    Member kktan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lands behind the Wood
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Hi fellow E-System users,

    My workflow;
    - Shoot mainly in RAW, ORF format
    - Olympus Studio ==> RAW to TIFF [16bit/ch]
    - CS ==> Crop, resize image & save for the web (will keep small jpeg files for viewing in computer only)
    - Save ORF/JPEG/TIFF to CD, hopefully to DVD in near future. (CD's 700MB always no enough)

    Always lazy to do the last step, so must pray X2 that computer no CRASH.


    For colour lab printing;
    - CS ==> Open TIFF [16bit/ch] format file
    - Unsharp Mask - if require
    - Crop - if require
    - Resize image to 1600 x 1200 (print to S4R size print)
    - Save as TIFF (with colour lab profile. e.g. KT)
    - Transfer TIFF files to CD and send for printing

  7. #7

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Hi kktan,

    You must only unsharp after you resize unwise the sharpening is lost.

    What do you mean by save Tiff with Color Lab Profile? How did you get the Color Lab Profile
    for KT? Is this always provided by all the developing lab if you ask for it? (I am assuming it
    is a kind of color-profiling file that can be used by PS/CS)

    Quote Originally Posted by kktan
    Hi fellow E-System users,

    My workflow;
    - Shoot mainly in RAW, ORF format
    - Olympus Studio ==> RAW to TIFF [16bit/ch]
    - CS ==> Crop, resize image & save for the web (will keep small jpeg files for viewing in computer only)
    - Save ORF/JPEG/TIFF to CD, hopefully to DVD in near future. (CD's 700MB always no enough)

    Always lazy to do the last step, so must pray X2 that computer no CRASH.


    For colour lab printing;
    - CS ==> Open TIFF [16bit/ch] format file
    - Unsharp Mask - if require
    - Crop - if require
    - Resize image to 1600 x 1200 (print to S4R size print)
    - Save as TIFF (with colour lab profile. e.g. KT)
    - Transfer TIFF files to CD and send for printing

  8. #8
    Member kktan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lands behind the Wood
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by ch5800
    Hi kktan,

    You must only unsharp after you resize unwise the sharpening is lost.

    What do you mean by save Tiff with Color Lab Profile? How did you get the Color Lab Profile
    for KT? Is this always provided by all the developing lab if you ask for it? (I am assuming it
    is a kind of color-profiling file that can be used by PS/CS)
    Hi ch5800,

    I find that if i Unsharp Mask after i resize the image, the end result is a bit too artificial looking. Also, I don't apply Unsharp Mask to every image unless it is necessary.


    You can download Kim Tian or Miao Laan digital photo lab profile at the following website;

    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Frontie...rofiles.htm#SG

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    my work process is very simple for jpeg:

    for web:

    in PS --> batch : jpeg (adobe98) --> jpeg (sRGB)
    crop if necessary or make it balanced then resize 1024x768 in office picture manager.


    for printing :

    in PS --> batch : jpeg (adobe98) --> jpeg (ICC profile)
    adjust contrast and/or brightness accordingly in office picture manager(essential step as changing to printer profile will dull the contrast), crop if necessary or make it balanced. if full size (about 5++ to 7++ mb), it can blow up to 10"x15" without detail lost (about 200++ dpi) and still retain sharpness as in camera sharpening.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Beach Road
    Posts
    3,733

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    How much better is aRGB compared with sRGB? So I should start shooting in aRGB for better colours?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    For me very simple:

    1. Olympus Software : RAW, adj WB/Exposure, direct export to external apps (Photoshop)
    2. Photoshop : Crop, Resize and/or USM, save to JPEG.

    And that's enough consume lots of my time.

    For common shooting:

    1. Shoot JPEG with in camera 5MP.
    2. Enjoy the punchy photos!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    How much better is aRGB compared with sRGB? So I should start shooting in aRGB for better colours?
    looks richer in primary red, blue & green. however, you will need PS to do correct embedding of the sRGB work space without screwing up the color.

    i know office picture manager & picasa 2 did screwed my color when i tried to save my pics for web.

  13. #13

    Default

    my work flow:

    1) shoot in RAW
    2) dump to computer
    3) view thumbnails in Oly Viewer s/w
    4) good ones i convert to jpg in viewer for printing thru Fotohub photolab, if not go to step 5
    5) accumulate enuf RAWs & burn into DVD.


    got free time, take out old pics to see. short & simple.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Hi There,

    I've been shooting RAW & breathing in Oly Studio (high function) most of the time. I appreciate that Oly Studio provides most of the essential correction, sharpening, resizing tools under one roof. Its batch processing facility is a time saver but I am hoping for more image editing functions to be batch-friendly. Should the need to output to monochrome, then it's off to PS.

    I know its slow working in RAW, but I don't squeeze of images unnecessarily & changes are mostly minute.

    However, if its a rush job for the web, then I'll shoot to JPG & straight to iPhoto or Picassa to build a hassle free net album.

    Cheers,

  15. #15

    Default Re: Share your workflow



    quickie comparison....

    starting from top left in clockwise manner
    1) Studio High Function (NO NR)
    2) Studio High Speed
    3) SHQ
    4) Studio High Function (Studio Color and Luminace NR @ 10)

    Shot it at iso 1600 1/15 f3.5... to try and get it just about as noisy as u would ever actually get in real usage...

    can see y alot prefer RAW w studio high function... the high speed noise is rather blotchy whereas in high function u can get more details and a nicer noise pattern.

  16. #16

    Default Prefered File format for prints

    Sorry to be OOT here, by reading thru the thread...it seems most of the photographers prefer to send for printing in tiff.

    I have soem questions in mind:

    What's your prefered file format for prints? What is recommended and why?

    Pls help

    Thanks

    a newbie photographer

  17. #17

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    quickie comparison....

    starting from top left in clockwise manner
    1) Studio High Function (NO NR)
    2) Studio High Speed
    3) SHQ
    4) Studio High Function (Studio Color and Luminace NR @ 10)

    Shot it at iso 1600 1/15 f3.5... to try and get it just about as noisy as u would ever actually get in real usage...

    can see y alot prefer RAW w studio high function... the high speed noise is rather blotchy whereas in high function u can get more details and a nicer noise pattern.
    Yup, I did a similar test myself. Shooting at ISO1600 using RAW and then in Olympus Studio, up the 'Noise Cancellation' and 'False Colour Suppression' to the max will give you a 'grainy' pic instead of a 'noisy' pic.

    Neatimage gives a smoother pic, but some details are lost in the process.

    In my opinion, pics at ISO1600 with the E-300 isn't as bad as what other reviews say, and I guess Olympus has left the post-processing to the photographer instead of the camera.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    For me very simple:

    1. Olympus Software : RAW, adj WB/Exposure, direct export to external apps (Photoshop)
    2. Photoshop : Crop, Resize and/or USM, save to JPEG.

    And that's enough consume lots of my time.

    For common shooting:

    1. Shoot JPEG with in camera 5MP.
    2. Enjoy the punchy photos!
    Hi ykkok,

    Assuming yours is a 8mp cam, one shot is one shot to the camera. The lifespan of the shutter will be reduced by one shot regardless of the resolution you select in the camera - am I right? Isn't it better to shoot in 8 in stead of 5mp?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by philshots
    Hi ykkok,

    Isn't it better to shoot in 8 in stead of 5mp?
    5mpix = smaller file sizes = faster processing time and more shots per memory card

  20. #20

    Default Re: Share your workflow

    Quote Originally Posted by philshots
    Hi ykkok,

    Assuming yours is a 8mp cam, one shot is one shot to the camera. The lifespan of the shutter will be reduced by one shot regardless of the resolution you select in the camera - am I right? Isn't it better to shoot in 8 in stead of 5mp?
    Yes, you are right, but how many of us here 'can' really use-up the life-span of the shutter, before selling it off? Even then, my E-300 is a pretty good camera but at a very low price - now, only about S$1000 for body only.

    Shooting in 5MP is enought for most of my family shots, 'auto-sharpen' saving me lots of post-processing time. I really don't have to do any more curves or saturion adjustment, as the E-300 gives very punchy colours out of the cam.

    In 5MP -> zero post processing, I like it coz' it saves me lots of time.

    Assumming my E-300 is good enough for 1/2 of its predicted life span at 25,000 shots, so, S$1000 / 25,000 = $0.04 (about 5 cents) per click. After 9 months of using E-300, I have barely reach 5000 shots.

    Not forgetting the memory card also has life span. So reading and writing less, will prolong my memory card (CF) as well.

    However, for serious photography events, I shoot in RAW.

    Anyway, that's just my personal view.
    Last edited by ykkok; 26th September 2005 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •