receive a mail regarding this:
Be careful when you are boiling water from the microwave and putting
MILO into it.
A 26-year old person decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a
cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something
that he haddonenumerous times before).
I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he told me he
wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven
off, he removedthecup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the
water was not boiling, but instantly the water in the cup "blew
up" into his face.
The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all
thewaterhad flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His
whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to
his face which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial
sight in his left eye.
While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated
thisis fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be
heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner,
something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such
as: a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is however a much saf
er choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.
General Electric's response:
Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist you.
The e-mail that you received is correct.
Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they
reachtheboiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble
at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when
it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.
To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat
any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let
the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving
it or adding anything into it.
If you pass this on ... you could very well save someone from a
lot ofpainand suffering .
Try to attach link of mpg from email but don't know how?