Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New in DSLR

  1. #1

    Default New in DSLR

    Hi, I have just recently switched to a DSLR Nikon D100. I have taken some photos but i find that my photos are using a very low shutter speed for pictures. Can any experts give me some comments on the pictures i have taken? My gallery is at www.pbase.com/willdon/donald. the range of my shutter speed is around 1/6 secs to 1/15 secs at iso 1000 for night shots.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    that depends on your aperture.... you using A mode rite... try to open up your aperture & see.. and night time normally need a longer time to expose...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by shlfter
    Hi, I have just recently switched to a DSLR Nikon D100. I have taken some photos but i find that my photos are using a very low shutter speed for pictures. Can any experts give me some comments on the pictures i have taken? My gallery is at www.pbase.com/willdon/donald. the range of my shutter speed is around 1/6 secs to 1/15 secs at iso 1000 for night shots.
    You will probably need a tripod (for longer exposure to reduce camera shake) or flash (Short distance subjects) or a faster lens (Aperture f/1.4 or f/1.8 ?) in the night time.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    that depends on your aperture.... you using A mode rite... try to open up your aperture & see.. and night time normally need a longer time to expose...
    actually at low aperture, it will give u a clearer picture right? so mostly i will stick to f4.5 to f8 depending on distance of the object. sometimes i also try to use at manual mode instead becoz at A mode it dun really give u a bright image of the object. sometimes the shutter speed gets too low n will cause handshake.

  5. #5

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    You will probably need a tripod (for longer exposure to reduce camera shake) or flash (Short distance subjects) or a faster lens (Aperture f/1.4 or f/1.8 ?) in the night time.
    thanks for the advice. I was trying to get the max quality outta my 18 - 70 mm lens n the best aperture i can get is at f4.5 with 70mm focus. So i guess all i can do is just to adjust the shutter speed but it seems that using a D70 the shutter speed is so much difference compared to a D100.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by shlfter
    actually at low aperture, it will give u a clearer picture right? so mostly i will stick to f4.5 to f8 depending on distance of the object. sometimes i also try to use at manual mode instead becoz at A mode it dun really give u a bright image of the object. sometimes the shutter speed gets too low n will cause handshake.
    Smaller aperture does gives u a deeper depth of field than a larger one. More of your subject and background will be in focus (less blurred out). Depending on some lens, they might be soft wide open, so you may need to stop down to smaller aperture. But with small aperture, you will have slower shutter speed and that can cause camera shake if it is too slow. When u use manual mode and try to set a faster shutter speed than in Aperture priority mode (Same aperture settings for both mode), you may get a underexposed picture.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    Smaller aperture does gives u a deeper depth of field than a larger one. More of your subject and background will be in focus (less blurred out). Depending on some lens, they might be soft wide open, so you may need to stop down to smaller aperture. But with small aperture, you will have slower shutter speed and that can cause camera shake if it is too slow. When u use manual mode and try to set a faster shutter speed than in Aperture priority mode (Same aperture settings for both mode), you may get a underexposed picture.
    maybe u can view my gallery n give me some comments on some of the photos taken in the 2nd page of the random shots @ www.pbase.com/willdon. I tried to focus some of the shots at the subject with spot n did it at a f/4.5. just weird that my fren can take the same kind of picture at 1/60 - 1/30 whereas i need to take it at 1/30 - 1/10. Is it becoz of different kind of camera? different curves? btw i am using A for my AWB whereas my fren is using custom curves. sorry for all the wrong term used if i said it wrongly

  8. #8

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Check with your friend that you are both using the same metering mode.
    That might account for the difference.

    Your exif says centre-weighted, perhaps your friend was using spot or matrix.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

  9. #9

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Check with your friend that you are both using the same metering mode.
    That might account for the difference.

    Your exif says centre-weighted, perhaps your friend was using spot or matrix.
    maybe u can also visit his gallery at www.pbase.com/xiong/chinatown

  10. #10

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by shlfter
    maybe u can view my gallery n give me some comments on some of the photos taken in the 2nd page of the random shots @ www.pbase.com/willdon. I tried to focus some of the shots at the subject with spot n did it at a f/4.5. just weird that my fren can take the same kind of picture at 1/60 - 1/30 whereas i need to take it at 1/30 - 1/10. Is it becoz of different kind of camera? different curves? btw i am using A for my AWB whereas my fren is using custom curves. sorry for all the wrong term used if i said it wrongly
    Ermm.... using the same iso?
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  11. #11

    Default Re: New in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Ermm.... using the same iso?
    ya lor, very weird...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •