Thread: Shoots for Interior home

Default Shoots for Interior home

Hi, can anyone advice me how I can do a good shoot for interior home? Its like those that you see in those Home and Deco magazines.

I have got a Canon 300D camera and the lens is the standard one that comes with the camera but I am thinking of getting a better one, most likely wide angle zoom.

1. Lens : How wide do you think I need to use? Is 18 sufficient?
    2. Lightings : I prefer the white/day light but I am not sure how to achieve that.
    3. Exposure : What aperture size and shuttle speed do you suggests? Need tripod?

Any other info and comment will be greatly appreciated. Thank you...thank you.

Default Re: Shoots for Interior home

capture the ambient lighting and exposure-compensate accordingly .... shoot f/8 and above.....So u will definitely need a TRIPOD as shutter speed drops progressively If there are opportunities, use your flash creatively...esp.highly reflective surfaces

Hope to see some pics soon .....cheers !

Hi AhV, Thanks for advice.

1. Just curious why use f8 and above. Isn't it better to use below since bigger aperture will allow more light to come in?

2. So, I need not use additional lights? Or should I use some reflective boards to make the area I am shooting brighter?

3. How about lens? Of course the wider the better lah but you think 18 is enough?

Blog Entries

WB correct for the fl light and let the yellow light glow
    it will add warm up the interior

Lens: the wider the better, wider makes the room look bigger

Tripod: ar be den!

Thanks Ortega,

Do you think I need additional light source, as I mentioned earlier, reflective boards to "direct" lights to the place I want to shoot, or I need to "shine" another light to the area I want to shoot?

Thanks....thanks....sorry, a lot of questions. No choice, newbie lah.....

you can see interior shots for my home done by a pro (not me).

www.pisduck.com

wait for the flash intro and go to gallery.

Anyway, I was there when the pro did it. There was a LOT of artificial lighting used and I thought he did a really good job as the pictures looked better than real life. I think there was three artificial light source bought in by the photographer + some of my house lights.

And his lens is wider than 18mm for a 300D. cuz I tried with my D70 18mm, cannot shoot.

Wah Win30, your home quite stunning! Was it for a magazine shoot? Which magazine? Because I prefer those by H&D and SquareRoom. Natural light, so I am not sure if they also use additional lightings.

u can use artificial lightings if u ve the $$$$ ..but if u are a newbie, dun complicate matters la.... u need to place and set the artificial lightings 'correctly' or the results will b disastrous

keep it simple la .... if not, just play with bounced flash ..... the cheapest way out is REFLECT, REFLECT....REFLECT

Yap.....that's what I thought but just want to see how much I can do....

Couple of things to watch out:

1. Try to shoot more in the day than the night if you are not intending to set up additional lightings.

2. Use all the daylight you can get from windows and avoid shooting directly towards the windows where the lights are coming from.

3. Aperture - well since you are doing digital - trial and error will get your the right amount of light to compensate for the right exposure. More importantly, make sure that you do not burnout the pictures. You definitely need a tripod, a remote release for the shuttle (if not use the timer) and also get yourself a reflector (which might come in helpful).

4. In additinonal to technicalities, the rest is your creativity. To me minimal is the best and that means u need to move things around in the interior to make the whole place look clean and neat. your choice of angle is important but that is also based on the type of furniture that is in the foreground and agains the wall. You just need to find the right elevation angle to make the shoot impressive. Shooting from downup is most of the time a no no unless there is something on the ceiling that is worth capturing within the frame.

That's all I can offer, the rest is up to you. Everyone has a preference for lighting. Myself I prefer daylight but when it comes to at night, I have not choice to light the places up and rely on photoshop for most of the enhancement works. Here's a link to one of my favourite architecture photographer: http://www.koenvandamme.be/screen.php. Maybe you can pick up a thing or 2 from site gallery.

Take care and God bless,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by pengsoon
    Hi, can anyone advice me how I can do a good shoot for interior home? Its like those that you see in those Home and Deco magazines.

I have got a Canon 300D camera and the lens is the standard one that comes with the camera but I am thinking of getting a better one, most likely wide angle zoom.

1. Lens : How wide do you think I need to use? Is 18 sufficient?
    2. Lightings : I prefer the white/day light but I am not sure how to achieve that.
    3. Exposure : What aperture size and shuttle speed do you suggests? Need tripod?

Any other info and comment will be greatly appreciated. Thank you...thank you.