Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible lens... sigh...

Default Horrible lens... sigh...

I just bought 2nd hand Tokina lens, 100-300 f/4. tried it out at first seemed fine. then brought it home, found out that when it hunts for focus, it'll rotate to the end but cannot seem to detect the end and keeps trying, resulting in loud "crack crack" of the gears slipping. if I"m not wrong, no matter how old the lens, should be able to detect the end and reverse direction to hunt in the other way for focal point rite?

Anyone knows if I"ve the right to demand a refund? (It's personal transaction, not from 2nd hand shop)

and anyone knows the tokina service centre in singapore address?

U can get back to the person who sold u lens. But u did mention that u tried it before buying and it worked well. So it will be difficult to say the person sold u a bad lens after u have handled it. He could say that u dropped or damaged lens. So it will be difficult.

correct, the lens should reverse after it reaches at one end.

call up the person. ask if u can have a refund.

btw, check if your lens is in manual or auto mode. I know some brand is very poor in design. If you lens in in manual but your camera is in auto, the lens will be haywire.
    Last edited by ninelives; 21st October 2002 at 02:57 PM.

the lens has no switch for MF/AF mode selection. anyone know where to get it serviced? and roughly how much it may cost?

no AF/MF switch. That's a very weird lens.
    Canon Lover :)

All my 3 minolta lens don't have AF/MF switch either. I think it's not necc since you can toggle it on/off from the camera body? not sure... anyway the sad ... *sniff sniff* lens is this one:

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....8?aucview=0x10

Originally posted by hoppinghippo
    the lens has no switch for MF/AF mode selection. anyone know where to get it serviced? and roughly how much it may cost?
    There might be a push/pull clutch on the lens barrel. Tokina is known for having these sort of mechanism for switching between MF and AF.

Regards
    CK

call up the guy lor. ask for refund, else sway sway lor. that's why i never buy 2nd hand stuff. unless i know him.

but then he emailed me previously saying it was in "perfect working condition". sigh..... anyway yep I learnt the same lesson too, only buy from pple you know. now trying to get him to refund or get it serviced for me.

hey man, how was it?? U got a refund??

Else, give us his contact number, each of us will SMS him, that's 1800 sms. see he scare or not . just kidding.

Originally posted by ckiang

There might be a push/pull clutch on the lens barrel. Tokina is known for having these sort of mechanism for switching between MF and AF.

Regards
    CK
    some or most Minolta AF lens does not have a AF/MF switch, it is control by the body with a press of button. But when using a 3rd party lens with AF/MF switch and a Minolta body, things will goes haywire (ie lens keep forcusing). when u want to swtich to MF, you need to adjust the switch on the lens and pressing the button on the camrea.

Default ....hieee....

Hi Darrel,

Just a thought....the problem that you had may be due to a worn out gear train at the infinity point. (A problem i had with my lens a month back - gives a chuck chuk chuk sound and the lens stops.)
    A problem only can be detected like as you said - when hunting, it will go to the infinity point and rotate back.

If its really a damaged rack gear inside, it will have the same sound when you first on the camera as the camera will automatically turn it to the infinity upon initialization.

Hmm...lets all call the guy in one instance to make sure he refund you ......the money or at least foot the repair bill.....

(I think all 2nd Hand lens should be given a 1 week grace test out - if can with black and whit agreement so that both sides are protected from such incidents)

regards,
    me

thanx for all your concern! well the fella absolutely refuses to refund me and I get the feeling he knew he was offloading a spoilt lens onto me with the kind of responses he gave me. I tried my best to be nice and reasonable to him, told him refund is a mutual benefit thing since if he insist his lens is fine then he should have no prob selling it off again. but he even refuses to meet me to check out the prob. (so he prob knows THERE IS a prob)

I have sent the lens for a repair quote but I fear it'll be damn ex. anyway I checked it out and my option is to go to Small Claims Tribunal. apparently I only need to pay $10 in court fees to sue him and he needs to pay $50 in court fees! and they don't allow lawyers to represent you in that court so no extra legal fees, only catch is I need his particulars to summon him, and all I have is his hp no. still thinknig of ways of getting his address, don't know if there's a legal system in place to get hp company to divulge particulars, doubt it. so thinknig of getting someone else to pose as a buyer for his other items on auction then get his address or follow him home!!! heh...

actually I was prepared to share the repair cost with him if he was reasonable and nice about it, but wah lau damn pissed with his indifference. What esp pissed me off was he claimed in his email his lens was in "perfect working condition" !!!

So advice to all out there, when buying 2nd hand from private sellers, so get their address (must confirm its real address too lah). if they don't give then that means they have something to hide!

Want to consider calling CASE for some advice. They may give u good tips on what to do. Who's this chap? At least we can avoid him.

i dunno man, but i tot we can report to CASE if one bought something from a shop ?

Hey Hippo,

This is an invaluable lesson learnt. In future, before you pay for ANYTHING at all, CHECK CHECK CHECK!

And don't pay for anything you can't check or the party doesn't allow you to.

I didn't buy from shop, that's why hard to do anything, if shop very easy to file a claim cuz they no where to run! case only deals against shops I think.

rayman: wah lau... duh..... tell me this now won't help you know

rayman: wah lau... duh..... tell me this now won't help you know
    Yeah I know I can't help you get your money back but at least you won't fall into the same trap again when you buy lenses the next time.

Default ...Use Seed as 2nd Hand Purchase appointment

Hiee.....

Just an out of the box idea.....wuldn't it be wise is any CS memebrs were to try coincide dealtimes with SEED...so can et experts and amatuers who may own those stuff to help look out for any problems or defects.........

Since we have great friends here to help.....

regards,
    me

wah bad luck man... that time I tried siowgongzi's sigma wide (yes it was me) it died after 8 shots... i thought it was incompatible cos the "no batt" sign was universal mah..

heng he nice guy refund me... but if I knew can repair I wd have gotten it instead of the vivitar (new at same price as sigma + repair)...

try shooting a test roll with it next time? got those 11 or 12 shot ones...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast