Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

  1. #1

    Exclamation [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Great...I brought my camera to my workplace.. A colleague of mine fiddled around with my Contax G2 and accidentally twisted the safety hatch!!! The back plate flipped out for a second or two.
    Now I'm devastated about losing my most important frames.

    Does any Contax users know if there's a safety feature on the G2 which protects the film in an event like this ...?

    I'm just hoping for a miracle as hopeless as it sounds...
    Last edited by James Shoegazer; 28th May 2015 at 10:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,551

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Shoegazer View Post
    Great...I brought my camera to my workplace.. A colleague of mine fiddled around with my Contax G2 and accidentally twisted the safety hatch!!! The back plate flipped out for a second or two.
    Now I'm devastated about losing my most important frames.

    Does any Contax users know if there's a safety feature on the G2 which protects the film in an event like this ...?

    I'm just hoping for a miracle as hopeless as it sounds...
    a small piece of gaffer tape will help prevent such accidents. remove the tape yourself when it is time to take out the film.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

  3. #3

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    a small piece of gaffer tape will help prevent such accidents. remove the tape yourself when it is time to take out the film.
    Thanks I will do that in the future.
    I know most likely I will lose some frames but I just need to know if there's a safety system on the camera which prevent accidental exposure.

    If memory serves me right, the Contax g2 unrolls all the film when loading. The frames retract back into the canister whenever a shot is taken.
    Can someone clarify me on this?

  4. #4

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Shoegazer View Post
    If memory serves me right, the Contax g2 unrolls all the film when loading. The frames retract back into the canister whenever a shot is taken.
    Can someone clarify me on this?
    That would be a nice feature to have, but I don't think the G2 has it (going by some online specs, which list a rewind time of 15 sec).

  5. #5

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    haah......I'm screwed then.
    The film counter actually resetted from 17 to 0.
    Does that mean I lost all my exposures? .....
    Last edited by James Shoegazer; 29th May 2015 at 11:23 AM.

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Shoegazer View Post
    haah......I'm screwed then.
    The film counter actually resetted from 17 to 0.
    Does that mean I lost all my exposures? .....
    If you are luck, you lost frame 15 to 18, and some other exposed frames may have light leak at the top and bottom of the frames.
    Yes, graffer tape it. And don't pass a loaded camera to anyone.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,551

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    agree with catchlights on the above, if you are lucky, you will lose just 2-3 frames previously, and maybe the next frame. The reset just reflects that the camera thinks you have opened up the camera and loaded in a fresh canister of film.

    For your remaining 18-36 frames left, try not to shoot anything too "important" or memorable in the first few frames.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

  8. #8

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Harsh lesson learnt, need some time to get over this setback.
    Still feel sick to the stomach having my art carved away from me.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Last edited by James Shoegazer; 29th May 2015 at 01:52 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Develop the film first. See what is lost what is safe.

  10. #10

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Can consider getting a leather half case for your G2, less likelihood of encountering something like this with a half case on!
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

  11. #11

    Default Re: [HELP] Accidentally exposing film. Contax G2.

    Thank you, I appreciate the advice.
    I will finish up the film and deal with it...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •