Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bus and cab fare cheaters to be jailed!

Default Re: Bus and cab fare cheaters to be jailed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Today's Straits Times just posted an article on the buggy EZ-Link system.... days after the above news on getting jailed for cheating bus/cab fares. Apparently 25% of refunds was due to this.....

Hmmm... makes me wonder will they pull off another TT.Durai on this... hahahah!
    This is the year of ppl shooting themselves in the foot (or in shorter terms - 'kena own' / 'kena pawn'). I'm not surprised
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Today's Straits Times just posted an article on the buggy EZ-Link system.... days after the above news on getting jailed for cheating bus/cab fares. Apparently 25% of refunds was due to this.....

hehehe...I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't get it... 25% is due to what?

Why not rename fine as charity? Anyone cheating will be force to donate and stand a chance to win 2N/3D stay at changi pri.. hotel inclusive of bed and breakfast. Friendly concierge in uniform, shower facilities and free laundry service. Once you visit, you will never want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by furrycake
    I'm puzzled. I thought all buses would disable the cards to be 'flashed' once they board the buses nowadays? So why now go to such extend?

So could we in turn sue them when they provide lousy services, like buses coming late or cabbies that got lost

Singaporeans are living sponges? let's all boink boink!!
    cos that would eliminate most of those who cheat that way? but doesn't address falling revenues issue

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    cos that would eliminate most of those who cheat that way? but doesn't address falling revenues issue
    they've increased the fares dunno how many times already, on the basis that their costs have increased, etc.. blah..

falling revenues? maybe more ppl are driving instead of taking public transport? or that ppl rather walk ? they keep saying the Healthy Way what.

Hahaha... each person buy a segway... eliminates walking.... good and clean for environment too... Bus fares increase but I do not see them being punctual, service is still crap even though we have bus captains -
    "This is Captain A-Tan of the Bus Service 171... welcome aboard our deluxe superfreezer class bus service... we expect a turbulant ride so hang on to the oily handles. You are reminded that cheating on our easily cheatable system would entail a fine and a stay at our fine city prison. Have a good trip..."

I'm kidding, of course.... I love buses... I can't afford a segway yet...

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I don't get it... 25% is due to what?
    Due to buggy system....

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Public transport in Singapore is no longer a public department, there is something terribly flawed with this profit-oriented system of transport...
    Sorry, I disagree. Nothing wrong with a privatised public transport system, plenty of examples around the world. As I had alluded to in another post, even an ex-communist country like Poland have gone the privatised routes with good results

And pray tell how does a so-called private transport company manage to get the act of being cheated into the Penal Code all of a sudden?Private?I think not.Profit driven?Yes...
    And what's wrong with being profit driven? Their employees need to be paid too, yes. Many pro-photogs here gripe about how little their clients are willing to pay, so why begrudge the public transport company employees their due?

Willing to jail cheats just to maximise profit?Now that's killing a robber with a Primus isn't it..boy we are the kings of intelligent hyperbole on this Earth eh..
    A cheat is a cheat is a cheat. Shopping centres regularly prosecute shoplifters for even the smallest items. Why is this any different? Unless you think retail shops shouldn't be making a profit too?

i just have this naggy feeling that the proportion of salary increment due to the staff of the transport company will not be a even distribution.

i dun mind increase in the bus captains pay , i am more afraid that the some will get 1% increment n some will get 20% increment.

Hahaha... each person buy a segway... eliminates walking.... good and clean for environment too... Bus fares increase but I do not see them being punctual, service is still crap even though we have bus captains -
    "This is Captain A-Tan of the Bus Service 171... welcome aboard our deluxe superfreezer class bus service... we expect a turbulant ride so hang on to the oily handles. You are reminded that cheating on our easily cheatable system would entail a fine and a stay at our fine city prison. Have a good trip..."

I'm kidding, of course.... I love buses... I can't afford a segway yet...

Due to buggy system....
    I think LTA banned the segways on our roads, so effectively its being banned anywhere.
    A Segway shld cost approximately $10K.
    Can't say its really expensive since we all probably have gears with their total value exceeding $10K.
    Plus it runs on electricity. Its cheap (as compared to a car). Its green. And unless u're a total idiot with no sense of balance even in ur daily walking, u can't fall off a Segway.

Conspiracy theories why LTA banned it (drop all the 'official reasons') anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I think LTA banned the segways on our roads, so effectively its being banned anywhere.
    Can't say its really expensive since we all probably have gears with their total value exceeding $10K.
    Plus it runs on electricity. Its cheap (as compared to a car). Its green. And unless u're a total idiot with no sense of balance even in ur daily walking, u can't fall off a Segway.

I don't know about segway but I'm getting a horse for a pet...

Default Fare cheats rip off honest users!

At the risk of being argumentative again, I must say I am somewhat perplexed at the bashing that is going on here. As honest users of the public transport system, why is it not in our interests for the persistent cheats to be brought to heel ? These folk are not just ripping off the companies, they are ripping YOU off too. As honest full fare paying users, YOU are subsidising these cheats.

There is an argument that just because the public transport companies are profitable, the should therefore not prosecute for such small amounts. By that logic, profitable department stores should not prosecute small time shoplifters, profitable restaurants should let free-loaders pass, and profitable wedding photogs should not chase after their clients for money!

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    A cheat is a cheat is a cheat. Shopping centres regularly prosecute shoplifters for even the smallest items. Why is this any different? Unless you think retail shops shouldn't be making a profit too?
    I agree, "A cheat is a cheat". The 20 cents which the bus driver over charged me was only returned 2 weeks later. That means the bus company admitted it was wrong. What I want to ask is why LTA did not fine them for this "Cheat". (Bus company keeps all the records in their computer, including my ID.)
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ghlight=lui002
    Last edited by lui002; 21st September 2005 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I don't know about segway but I'm getting a horse for a pet...
    Would be hard for me to keep a horse in a HDB flat. I'm working on my 24 poodles driven carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by lui002
    I agree, "A cheat is a cheat". The 20 cents which the bus driver over charged me was only returned 2 weeks later. That means the bus company admitted it was wrong. What I want to ask is why LTA did not fine them for this "Cheat". (Bus company keeps all the records in their computer, including my ID.)
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ghlight=lui002
    I agree it is not acceptable for the bus company to overcharge in this manner. If it is accidental, then please cut them a break, they move many hundreds of thousands of people every day. I believe they also have service standards to live up to, and may be (and have been) fined if they fail to live up to them.

So you agree that neither side should seek to fraudulently profit from the other? Then you support this measure which would stop persistent cheats then, yes?

Can you imagine a whole bunch of segways on our roads and sidewalks? Please don't tell me you actually think its a good idea.....

Who would buy a 10K segway in Singapore? The poor ah-soh taking the MRT? The factory worker with a wife and kid? Of course not, only the rich guy with nothing else to do with his money! Look at the demographic of Segway buyers in the US, you seriously think they are for the poor and disadvantaged? Anybody else serious about having some proper transport for the family in that price range would opt for a motorbike instead.

Edits
    Link here to blurb on intent of Segway --> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._1/ai_88679060

It is an alternative to cars, not public transport.

Another link to Segway forum --> http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1638

People are buying it as a lifestyle statement or because they are techno-freaks, not for serious transportation!
    Last edited by dkw; 21st September 2005 at 03:27 PM.

Default Re: Fare cheats rip off honest users!

At the risk of being argumentative again, I must say I am somewhat perplexed at the bashing that is going on here. As honest users of the public transport system, why is it not in our interests for the persistent cheats to be brought to heel ? These folk are not just ripping off the companies, they are ripping YOU off too. As honest full fare paying users, YOU are subsidising these cheats.

There is an argument that just because the public transport companies are profitable, the should therefore not prosecute for such small amounts. By that logic, profitable department stores should not prosecute small time shoplifters, profitable restaurants should let free-loaders pass, and profitable wedding photogs should not chase after their clients for money!

This is the year of ppl shooting themselves in the foot (or in shorter terms - 'kena own' / 'kena pawn'). I'm not surprised
    The Year of Being Owned.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

The Year of Being Owned.
    For this then i give

not anyhow give one.

Default Re: Fare cheats rip off honest users!

Well, I believe most of us are seriously concerned not about the issue of honest travellers subsidising fare cheaters.

Unfortunately, its HOW the law's gonna decide who's cheating and who's not. Especially when we are still looking at a buggy EZ-Link system (honestly, I don't bother to check every single transaction and god knows how many times they had eaten my money). Its the Bus Conductor's words against yours and in cases like this, if other passengers did not get the same problem as you do (u guys know technical glitches. They come on at random times which is nearly impossible to duplicate the exact problem at times), you're in for some really hot soup.

With the law being worded so vaguely, it seems that every mother's son of us here are being labelled as a 'potential cheater' simply becos that silly card reader did some weird things to your card which u're not even aware of.

Are we, as consumers, as passengers and customers to the bus companies supposed to know every system they are using inside-out?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast