Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Certificate for Photography and Arts?

Default Re: Certificate for Photography and Arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin
    I pity you for having this kind of friend.
    Maybe she only want to know if you have win any awards? Will showing her your works be good enough? If you have nothing to show, how can she judge whether to let you handle her once in a lifetime event?
    Inability to judge and make own decision - seems like a comon ailment here. hence, need to see a certificate, and since the certificate is an endorsement, even though it has absolutely no bearing on the qulity of the work, still, it become teh only means to base decision/judgement on.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Inability to judge and make own decision - seems like a comon ailment here. hence, need to see a certificate, and since the certificate is an endorsement, even though it has absolutely no bearing on the qulity of the work, still, it become teh only means to base decision/judgement on.
    If don't have cert to show, can show big and expensive camera/lens too.

Lack of security perhaps?

Our lives are being plagued by certs and degrees.

Primary School PSLE Cert
    Secondary School 'O' Level Cert
    Junior College 'A' Level Cert
    University Bachelors, Honours, Masters, Doctorate

Not forgetting all those little things in between which awards u a certificate of some kind.

Some ppl I know say that, "Its a mark of recognition, as you have attained a standard of a certain kind."

With Arts such as Photography, ain't our works good enuff to show? Or must the certificate come with nice big mama lens together with a pro looking camera? That's Arts Appreciation at its shallowest.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Lack of security perhaps?

Our lives are being plagued by certs and degrees.

Primary School PSLE Cert
    Secondary School 'O' Level Cert
    Junior College 'A' Level Cert
    University Bachelors, Honours, Masters, Doctorate

Not forgetting all those little things in between which awards u a certificate of some kind.

Some ppl I know say that, "Its a mark of recognition, as you have attained a standard of a certain kind."

With Arts such as Photography, ain't our works good enuff to show? Or must the certificate come with nice big mama lens together with a pro looking camera? That's Arts Appreciation at its shallowest.
    a very fustrating thing in Singapore, experience takes a major back seat to a formal education. I am not putting down education, you need that as a foundation, but who do you think is a photographer, if this is the only information available, one with 5 years experience and a portfolio to show but no photography education, or one just graduated from photography school with a diploma?

To me, it's a no brainer, but than I came here and what an eye opener!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I was thinking about it last night before I sleep...

Izzit because of Asian tradition that places the value of education on a pedestal almost equalling that of wisdom and age that mutated over years that gave rise to the Great Paper Chase?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

a very fustrating thing in Singapore, experience takes a major back seat to a formal education. I am not putting down education, you need that as a foundation, but who do you think is a photographer, if this is the only information available, one with 5 years experience and a portfolio to show but no photography education, or one just graduated from photography school with a diploma?

To me, it's a no brainer, but than I came here and what an eye opener!
    don't know want so many paper for wat?? All my cert paper now want to use as toilet paper also cannot, dirty liao.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    So like that if you don't have the certificate the camera shops also won't sell you a full-frame 16.7MP dslr?
    NO! If you show a certificate, the shops give you 20% discount!!

HS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12