Thread: Quietest DSLR ?

Default Quietest DSLR ?

Need a recommendation of a DSLR that is real quiet in terms of mirror flip . I believe sometime we requires a quiet cam to work in quiet environment . My main concern is to remain as transparent as possible in the scene , does not affect people around me so i can concentrate more to capture moments rather then distroying it ...

I know PnS and very silent but would prefer a DSLR control ...

Default Re: Quietest DSLR ?

350D...the mirror slap sounds like DC...

A new or near-new Canon EOS-10D has probably the most quiet shutter slap of all. However it tends to get louder with age. If noise is an issue, use a sound blimp.

Don't get a 20D
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    A new or near-new Canon EOS-10D has probably the most quiet shutter slap of all. However it tends to get louder with age. If noise is an issue, use a sound blimp.
    looks real good , any shop in singapore dealing with this product ?

oly E300

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    Don't get a 20D
    Agree Imagine shooting at 5fps with that sound... Haha... Everyone will look at U

yeek my boss' fuji quite loud....

Quote Originally Posted by imouyang
    Agree Imagine shooting at 5fps with that sound... Haha... Everyone will look at U
    ya i know , used to own a 20D . How i wish theres a DSLR with the shutter sound of a F6

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    Yes a 10D's mirror slap is relatively quiet. Mine is (or was)...it seems to be getting louder now...was shooting side by side with a 20D in a church wedding recently and not much difference between the mirror slaps for both cams. Mine is abt 2 yrs old btw.

Hey, that Sound Blimp thing looks quite cool. Like those retro large-format cameras!

Can't tell you what's quiet, but I can tell you what NOT to get (as far as mirror-slap noise is concerned) - The Dynax 5D. It's hella noisy. Probably the worst on the market.

I tried an Oly E-300, not too bad, I must say. Or, how about that Epson RD-1 rangefinder camera? (I seriously don't know where to get that one, though. Tried it at a shop in Japan. Excellent stuff.)
    Last edited by synapseman; 19th September 2005 at 03:01 PM.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Hey, that Sound Blimp thing looks quite cool. Like those retro large-format cameras!

Can't tell you what's quiet, but I can tell you what NOT to get (as far as mirror-slap noise is concerned) - The Dynax 5D. It's hella noisy. Probably the worst on the market.

I tried an Oly E-300, not too bad, I must say. Or, how about that Epson RD-1 rangefinder camera? (I seriously don't know where to get that one, though. Tried it at a shop in Japan. Excellent stuff.)
    E300 not bad but too cyber like sound like the 350D , i love classic slapping sound like those in D2X/D2H but at times i need to be real quiet and just notice that the sound blimb cant attach flash ??? thats bad

I guess their rationale is that if you want a super-quiet camera, it means you want to be as un-noticible as possible. Shooting with flash would thus negate the intention?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman