Thread: Recommend a USB Hub ...

Default Recommend a USB Hub ...

Hi people.

I'm in the market for a USB Hub that supports more than 5 ports ... any models to recommend?

TIA!

Default Re: Recommend a USB Hub ...

wah.. need so many for what... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike
    wah.. need so many for what... :P
    Cannot har!

I haven't seen many USB hubs that supports more than 4.. but there's 1 thing to note when getting any USB root hubs.

- Make sure it's powered. If it ain't powered, it wun supply enough power to your USB 2.0 portable drives or card readers.

and make sure it's USB2.0 hi-speed compliant too
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

yup, like wat yanyewkay mentioned...... get one dat is powered. i got mine from funan for 40 bucks i think. brand is dicota or sumthin. seems to be werkin like it should.
    give me a pen, and i'll give you my signature

Let's hope it is a good one. I got a powered one (no brand) and the PSU blew after some usage. Kinda smoky smell and all !

Lucky the 4-port still working.

Usually it is 4-port because the standard chip in hub drives 4. If you have more, it will need 2 chips.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I haven't seen many USB hubs that supports more than 4.. but there's 1 thing to note when getting any USB root hubs.

- Make sure it's powered. If it ain't powered, it wun supply enough power to your USB 2.0 portable drives or card readers.

and make sure it's USB2.0 hi-speed compliant too
    That's very true.

To Adam....ALthough it makes sense to get extra USB extension that is 'powered' and I don't mean powered by the motherboard. What alot of non PC hardware folks might not be aware is how much power you are drawing as you add more components into your system. I built my own systems and for friends and I have fixed up friends' PCs and I notice branded name PCs usually comes with power supply unit that is just about enough to power the various components in the PC and abit more. That means the more stuff you plug into the PC to use like scanners, external drives, your iPOD, modem...etc. Now if you have been using PC or Mac for at least 6 yrs or more...alot of the component you bought formerly use to have a power cable to power it and a serial or parallel point to connect it to your PC to use. These days and even during the USB version 1, no longer does it just connect to your PC for use but it draw it's power through it too. And now with USB 2.0 it is in fact drawing more power and unless they are large add-on like a printer for example...even scanners are drawing power from a USB point. That is a huge strain on your PC and if you have been adding stuff to your PC and you find your PC is starting to fail, does not boot well or shut down properly or just acting up, you might have a power problem. TO cut corners branded PC never give you the more modern and newer ( and more powerful ) power suppl unit. For those who don't know how power gettings into your system..well..your PC does not use a power cord connect 230V from your wall socket directly. It will go into your PC via a metal box insdie your PC ( usually in the top back portion of your casing) The power it converted to lower voltage and redistributed to various cables that comes out at the other end which you can connect to your CD drive, harddrive and also to your motherboard which is where your USB port(s) will draw it's power. This also means that if too much power if draw to your motherboard and then out to all your USB ports...alot of current is going through your motherboard and there has been time I have come across "fried" motherboard. If you think paying up to $50 for a exterior USB port extender is expensive...try buying a new motherboard which will cost you more then $100 for an average board to $200+ for a good board. A type of power supply 99% of PCs you buy will sell you are those cheap ones you can buy for about $38+. A good power supply unit that is silent, about 500 watt or higher has some power management/monitor and other power features will set you back about $120 or more!. If you are a real power user...if you want to get that much USB extension, you better be looking to upgrade that power supply too.

I can tell you more about it but suffice to say....it is not hard to plug in what you need and unplug what you don't need. And if you don't need to plug in those you are not using at that moment..so much the better. Draw less power and your PC is more stable. Your XP has auto-detect for all your plug in so..just plug in when you need to use and not try to get more USB ports just because you want to save time from plugging in and pluggin out...how much time is that..."seconds" or just a short reboot. If you over plug in too many USBs devices you might think ..it just hang your PC which you can reboot...just wait till it crash your harddrive or burn a component. I have known of cases where the system was writing to the HDD and it lost power due to the firing up of another device via a USB port. (happen to a friend of mine) Ever since Pentium 4 and newer component designs and numerous USB devices..power requirement are now at an all time high. Some time an unstable system that keep giving you problem might not be simply a windown XP problem ( again ) but it fact as simple as a power problem.

I have alot of USB devices I use from webcam to ADSL modem, Exterior HDD, external DVD player, Epson Printer, Canon Laser Printer, Removable multi-card reader,Nikon D70 link, Ipod, CLIE PDA, keyboard, 3D speakers, Creative Sound card. But if I dont use them, I don't plug them in. I can't see how much time it would be wasted for me to plug them in or out. The only people with whom I know that might need more USB are those where their PC has only just a pair of them in the back. Okay get one to allow you to have those USB plug place near the front of your PC for easy access. But get those powered one if you can...mostly those I see are not powered. BUt for those with PC that only has one set of USB in the back..take note. Their power supply ( and/or motherboard) might only be able to support one set of USB!

Just a thought......
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th September 2005 at 01:05 AM.

Belkin has it. Look for it in IT shops. Try not to get unbranded or not well-known brand one as sometime they do not follow USB standard.

Belkin's one is powered and so far is pretty much reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by poseidon
    Belkin has it. Look for it in IT shops. Try not to get unbranded or not well-known brand one as sometime they do not follow USB standard.

Belkin's one is powered and so far is pretty much reliable.
    Yes go for the BELKIN brand as it has 8 ports if I remember correctly and it is powered too. Last price I bought was $80 from Challenger at Funan.

Thanks! I hope I can find it in SLS!

Hi.

Got the Belkin 7-port hub from Skylet yesterday; took me quite a while before I found it ...

Thanks again for the all the advice!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 26th September 2005 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Hi.

Got the Belkin 7-port hub from Skylet yesterday; took me quite a while before I found it ...

Thanks again for the all the advice!
    wah liew .. 7-port hub .... ........... I likes and how much was that ?? ....
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

* togu is happy that adam can finally connect that 7 USB coffer warmer now. No more cold coffee on next visit!!

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    wah liew .. 7-port hub .... ........... I likes and how much was that ?? ....
    78 bulks ...

get it here:

http://www.kenarservices.com/

real cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Thanks! I hope I can find it in SLS!
    if any IT products that u cant find in SLS, no where else in singapore can
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY