Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: you're here to shoot birds? ...

Default Re: you're here to shoot birds? ...

Hmmm... its beginning to sound like a witchhunt.....

Blog Entries

don't forget that to him, you are all kids
    since you are here in CS

but as I said "No Big Deal"
    He did let you handle his baby.

Quote Originally Posted by r32
    I read and re-read the conversation posted initially and can't find much offensive about it. Perhaps I cannot read the tone of voice, nor body language used, so I can't detect the sarcasm.

But put yourself in the bird shooter's shoes - I'm led to believe that serious birding is a long drawn out waiting game. He's probably stating fact when he commented that you guys came and scared the birds away, and feeling enough frustration that he had to mention it again. He was probably there for much longer than you, squatting under camouflauge, bushes, or whatever, putting up with the heat and insects, etc. I doubt at any point did he ask you guys to clear off.

You have as much a right to be there as he has, but shouldn't there be mutual respect for photographers? You wouldn't purposely stand in front of a fellow photographer during an events shoot would you? Its common courtesy to get your shot and move out of the way isn't it?

Where is the empathy?
    Agree fully with you. Out there in the field, photographers are bound to cross paths sometimes, so we should all just give and take a little, and be mindful and understanding to each other. If you had encountered such situation, maybe just offer a short, simple apology would do and just let the matter rest. At least he did allow u guys to touch his setup and chat for awhile.

The replies that follow on this thread are tantamount to jeering - mob mentality. It may all be said in jest, but really reflects the mindset of some of the people on CS.
    Yes, it saddens me to see such mentality here, and 'ganging up' on a fellow photographer, making comments abt his setup and such. I think he did not mean to show off, just to state a fact that his setup could reach 2040mm, most bird photographers have long big lens and fast bodies anyway, the reach and speed is necessary to capture the action. Bird photography is tough on the wallet, time and your back too.

Just let it be lar.

I read and re-read the conversation posted initially and can't find much offensive about it. Perhaps I cannot read the tone of voice, nor body language used, so I can't detect the sarcasm.

But put yourself in the bird shooter's shoes - I'm led to believe that serious birding is a long drawn out waiting game. He's probably stating fact when he commented that you guys came and scared the birds away, and feeling enough frustration that he had to mention it again. He was probably there for much longer than you, squatting under camouflauge, bushes, or whatever, putting up with the heat and insects, etc. I doubt at any point did he ask you guys to clear off.

You have as much a right to be there as he has, but shouldn't there be mutual respect for photographers? You wouldn't purposely stand in front of a fellow photographer during an events shoot would you? Its common courtesy to get your shot and move out of the way isn't it?

Where is the empathy?

The replies that follow on this thread are tantamount to jeering - mob mentality. It may all be said in jest, but really reflects the mindset of some of the people on CS.

Excuse me , the reason why this thread is because he said we scared off the birds in a sarcastic tone twice. If he's there, we would have spotted him in the 1st place with his pro setup, unless he's submerged in the waters. I'm not making enemy with bird shooter here.

I 100% agreed with you on 'You have as much a right to be there as he has' but we dun make comments like that what. What if I replied to him 'Yah today no catch coz you stepped on all my macro subjects' in a sarcastic tone. U think he will like it ?

Like what you have said, mutual respect for each other, did he ?

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Agree fully with you. Out there in the field, photographers are bound to cross paths sometimes, so we should all just give and take a little, and be mindful and understanding to each other. If you had encountered such situation, maybe just offer a short, simple apology would do and just let the matter rest. At least he did allow u guys to touch his setup and chat for awhile.

Yes, it saddens me to see such mentality here, and 'ganging up' on a fellow photographer, making comments abt his setup and such. I think he did not mean to show off, just to state a fact that his setup could reach 2040mm, most bird photographers have long big lens and fast bodies anyway, the reach and speed is necessary to capture the action. Bird photography is tough on the wallet, time and your back too.

Just let it be lar.
    Garion , I respect you as a skilled and avid bird shooter. The purpose of this thread is not to gang up and whack ABS jia lat jia lat. I understand the need for speed and reach for birding, but I'm sure bird shooters don't tell people off like that especially when he's not there in the 1st place, it's like when you are trying to be friendly and yet being told off sarcastically, kinda boils my blood.
    Last edited by poohbear; 19th September 2005 at 01:28 PM.

just to share a pleasant encounter i had with a bird shooter in sungei buloh some time ago; fellow clubsnapper wkcheah76 whom i met quite by chance for the 1st time that day with his friends. not only did he show me some of the nice shots he captured that day, he also let me get a feel for his camera setup. all in the spirit of the common passion we all share in photography.
    Last edited by zaren; 19th September 2005 at 01:52 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

I think most of us here are OK when it comes to shooting in public place just that some people are bigger as*hole that others and think that because he/she have bigger and better equpt than others they have more rights to shoot than others. Don't be happy that he let you check out his gears, people like him will most prop. be giving his ego a good rub when he let you check out his gears.
    CS is for kids and cant make a living out of photography in SG? Well there are a lot of "kids" here with less impressive gears than him but are earning a good living. Know why? beacuse these "kids" here have better skills than him and don't need big equpt to replace what mother nature have given ABS in the wrong size, mainly a big mouth and a small brain. The way he talk only goes to confirm this. You guys should have drop his gears and said sorry my hand cramp lah.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    Excuse me , the reason why this thread is because he said we scared off the birds in a sarcastic tone twice. If he's there, we would have spotted him in the 1st place with his pro setup, unless he's submerged in the waters. I'm not making enemy with bird shooter here.

I 100% agreed with you on 'You have as much a right to be there as he has' but we dun make comments like that what. What if I replied to him 'Yah today no catch coz you stepped on all my macro subjects' in a sarcastic tone. U think he will like it ?

Like what you have said, mutual respect for each other, did he ?
    First of all, I made a mistake - so you guys got there first, and not the birder being there before you. My apologies for the mistake.

But as I said, the conversation as recounted by Eikin isn't one where I can detect whether there is sarcasm or not in the tone of voice. So I am not saying that the bird shooter is not sarcastic, I'm just saying I can't tell if it was sarcastic or not.

So in any case, I hope no one else will lend further credence to ABS's misconception that Clubsnap is populated by "kids".

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    just to share a pleasant encounter i had with a bird shooter in sungei buloh some time ago; fellow clubsnapper wkcheah76 whom i met quite by chance for the 1st time that day with his friends. not only did he show me some of the nice shots he captured that day, he also let me get a feel for his camera setup. all in the spirit of the common passion we all share in photography.
    I was on location recce last week in Ponggol and this guy suddenly walk out from the trees/bushes and I guess he's a bird shooter from the look of his gears. I ask him:
    Me: "shooting bird?"
    He: "yeah"
    Me: "got any good catch?"
    He: "no, not today"
    Me: "hope we did not scare them away"
    He: "Don't worry about that, there's always tomorrow"

All along he was smilling even when he stop to chat for awhile. And know what? He's wearing a CS tee shirt.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

OT:

was at pulau ponggol barat the other day on a work assignment, and saw quite an assortment of birds there even in the middle of the afternoon. i wonder if any bird shooters have shot there b4?
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Me, I did but since knowing the NLPC folks, I found sunrise & landscape in Punggol less stressful

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    OT:

was at pulau ponggol barat the other day on a work assignment, and saw quite an assortment of birds there even in the middle of the afternoon. i wonder if any bird shooters have shot there b4?
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

First of all, I made a mistake - so you guys got there first, and not the birder being there before you. My apologies for the mistake.

But as I said, the conversation as recounted by Eikin isn't one where I can detect whether there is sarcasm or not in the tone of voice. So I am not saying that the bird shooter is not sarcastic, I'm just saying I can't tell if it was sarcastic or not.

So in any case, I hope no one else will lend further credence to ABS's misconception that Clubsnap is populated by "kids".
    Thanks for your understanding. Hope no one is seeing this as a flame war and my apologies if I've offended anybody with my straight out-of-the mind harsh words. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    Thanks for your understanding. Hope no one is seeing this as a flame war and my apologies if I've offended anybody with my straight out-of-the mind harsh words. Peace
    don't need to apologies for speaking your mind lah. The only one who may feel insulted would be ABS and frankly HE ASK FOR IT!!!

just want to restate that i started this thread to let people know of how some photographers operate. want me to respect someone with this kind of an attitude? sorry, earn it first. allow me to touch his gear? sorry, i didn't leave any fingerprint at all. didn't get a good shot? blame oneself before blaming others, less say blaming others in the face twice. i just cannot condone such a arrogant attitude. thanks for all your time, whether you agree or not, at least i get to let people know that such a person exist. no, there isn't always peace in this world, because we are human

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234