Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Is Cosina lens good?

  1. #1

    Default Is Cosina lens good?

    I'm just asking in general, heard of this brand and saw a few of their lens physically but has yet to shoot and try one. So asking all the bros here on the opinion of this brand. If there's any specific experience that u wanna relate will be best. I wish to listen to more options before deciding on my next alternative. thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    dont bother with it

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    dont bother with it
    The funny thing is some Nikon bodies and lenses were once out sourced to them. Voigtlander Bessa R also made by Cosina.

    Quite steady right?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Good enough for 99% of CSers!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Oh not to mention Vivitar, Canon, Olympus, Ricoh, Pentax....

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    conflicting advise... anyone with actual experience with it? Tried searching but find much info on it, don't think they even have an official webby..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Good enough for 99% of CSers!
    I am very sure with a Bessa....

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by strength_n_honour
    conflicting advise... anyone with actual experience with it? Tried searching but find much info on it, don't think they even have an official webby..
    If you read Japanese

    http://www.cosina.co.jp/

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by strength_n_honour
    conflicting advise... anyone with actual experience with it? Tried searching but find much info on it, don't think they even have an official webby..
    If you are talking real life photography
    If you are asking questions like these
    If you are not into MTF curves
    If you are not interested to be an equipment snob

    I assure you that Cosina capability far exceeds your photography abilities.

    If you want to be an equipment snob, say so, and you will not lack responses as to what is the "Best".

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    If you are talking real life photography
    If you are asking questions like these
    If you are not into MTF curves
    If you are not interested to be an equipment snob

    I assure you that Cosina capability far exceeds your photography abilities.

    If you want to be an equipment snob, say so, and you will not lack responses as to what is the "Best".
    Hey that's a very polite answer and thanks for that. I'm an amature and don't possess a great deal of knowledge and money hence i'm seeking advice and opinion here. I have absolutely no intention of being an equipment snob and i don't have the financial means to be one too. Reason why i'm asking on advice on this brand is because i'm actively searching for lens and there are many options. Not having alot of money means that i need to consider all options before making a decision. I'd seen very cheap offers on this brand but all i wish is someone who had the experience of this lens to give me a better advice. Its no just about buying or not, its about is it worth getting with reference to the other options available. Does that constitute to be an equipment snob?

    Maybe u are rich enough to buy any lens off the shelf without thinking but please do not associate that to everyone. If I don't even have the right to ask such a question in this appropriate section (newbie), then please advice me on the purpose of this place.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    a more objective answer:

    1. for the price and the quality u can make quite ok pictures with it
    2. if the lens someday gets damaged then its not that easy to find a shop that can repair it
    3. if u decide to sell it one day, the resale value may not hold much. and response may not be that good since few people will be looking around for such a lens.


  12. #12

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    a more objective answer:

    1. for the price and the quality u can make quite ok pictures with it
    2. if the lens someday gets damaged then its not that easy to find a shop that can repair it
    3. if u decide to sell it one day, the resale value may not hold much. and response may not be that good since few people will be looking around for such a lens.

    Thanks User!! Will take note of these important points. All the best for ur search on black lens!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by strength_n_honour
    Maybe u are rich enough to buy any lens off the shelf without thinking but please do not associate that to everyone. If I don't even have the right to ask such a question in this appropriate section (newbie), then please advice me on the purpose of this place.
    You have an absolute right to ask any legitimate questions.

    My answer to you is based on two things I know about you,

    1 you are a newbie (not the same as an amateur - an amateur photographer is one who loves photography - like most of us here, including me)

    2 you are cost conscious.

    The reality of the fact is that most lenses today (even very cheap Russian ones, and Lomos, and Holgas with the plastic lenses!) are more than adequate for even professionals and fine art photographers, let alone amateurs.

    So I reiterate, get any lens you can afford, and go and make pictures. There will be those who will decry a certain brand. But I do not see good images from these types, and therefore I ignore their opinions on such matters.

    Lenses, especially mechanical ones, are simple and likely to outlast you. The ones that are likely to get problems are all those fanciful ones such as the all singing all dancing stuff from C&N.

    If you want to buy a lens that have some value years later, then get an expensive lens (tp my knowledge the only lens that have good resale value 10 to 20 years down the road is Leica) - but then you are cost-conscious? So I see it as a non issue.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    You have an absolute right to ask any legitimate questions.

    My answer to you is based on two things I know about you,

    1 you are a newbie (not the same as an amateur - an amateur photographer is one who loves photography - like most of us here, including me)

    2 you are cost conscious.

    The reality of the fact is that most lenses today (even very cheap Russian ones, and Lomos, and Holgas with the plastic lenses!) are more than adequate for even professionals and fine art photographers, let alone amateurs.

    So I reiterate, get any lens you can afford, and go and make pictures. There will be those who will decry a certain brand. But I do not see good images from these types, and therefore I ignore their opinions on such matters.

    Lenses, especially mechanical ones, are simple and likely to outlast you. The ones that are likely to get problems are all those fanciful ones such as the all singing all dancing stuff from C&N.

    If you want to buy a lens that have some value years later, then get an expensive lens (tp my knowledge the only lens that have good resale value 10 to 20 years down the road is Leica) - but then you are cost-conscious? So I see it as a non issue.

    1. Yes I'm a newbie, but i do not agree on ur definition the difference between a newbie and an amature- I love photography too or else why would i be here seeking advice and willing to learn? Please don't discriminate against ppl who just started like me, and never never doubt a person's interest and passion in photography. U will demoralised and hurt many genuine ppl who is trying to join this amazing community (which i start to have 2nd thoughts)

    2. Yes a very good point made and i'm impress with ur thoughts which is very different from the majority CSers here. Really appreciate ur advice and certaintly you point is well made.

    End of the days we are all here to shoot nice photos and make good friends, so no hard feelngs k..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    As a user of a Cosina 28-105mm lens before, I'd say that it represents very good value for money. If you work within the limits of the lens, it gives very fine images as seen below. For those who have decried over the quality of image or the resale value, let them be the equipment w@nk*rs that they are.

    For the rest of us amateurs, let's concentrate on the craft, not the tools.

    Parking Maid Wipe Out:

    EOS30, Superia 100

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by strength_n_honour
    1. Yes I'm a newbie, but i do not agree on ur definition the difference between a newbie and an amature- I love photography too or else why would i be here seeking advice and willing to learn? Please don't discriminate against ppl who just started like me, and never never doubt a person's interest and passion in photography. U will demoralised and hurt many genuine ppl who is trying to join this amazing community (which i start to have 2nd thoughts)
    There is absolutely no hard feelings at all.

    I do not discriminate against ANYBODY. I don't even know who you are. But I know with your questions, you will invite some silly answers.

    Just for interest, you may diasgree with the definition, but the fact is, you may not be right. The word amateur comes from the word "amore" - "love". It has nothing to do with how good you are, or how experienced you are. A newbie is one who is new - who can also be an amateur, or even a professional! I had met a professional who ony had two months with his camera before before he started to make photography is profession.

    Calling you a newbie does not discriminate against you or make a judgement about your passion and interest. A newbie is just that , a newbie.

    You are just too sensitive, and have yet learnt to read comments intelligently. You react without giving due thoughts to the meaning of words. If you are willing to learn, learn to read and you hopefully learn to discriminate what is good advice and what is trash.

  17. #17
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,124

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Quote Originally Posted by strength_n_honour
    I'm just asking in general, heard of this brand and saw a few of their lens physically but has yet to shoot and try one. So asking all the bros here on the opinion of this brand. If there's any specific experience that u wanna relate will be best. I wish to listen to more options before deciding on my next alternative. thanks!


    Welcome to the world of photography. I started in 1989 using the Cosina C1 manual camera and slowly upgraded to the Pentax Z-20, bought in 1993, which I still use today.

    Cosina is a OEM manutacturer for a number of brands in Japan and they include Vivitar, Carl Zeiss, etc.

    Personally, my advise is go get the Cosina. Value for money lenses as you are an amatuer and new to photography. Even the Carl Zeiss lenses sold on the market then were made by cosina as I had the chance to to an actual comparison of the lenses physically. When they were put side by side, you could not tell the difference from afar but upon close inspection, the lenses are identical right up to the parkings on both lenses.

    Again, I say go for the Cosina and you will not regret.

    Cheers.....

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    Is Cosina lens good? yes.

    i have more than one cosina lens.
    35-70 cosina made in japan for minolta mount
    and i think a few others somewhere in my dry cabs.
    stop down to f5.6 or f8 in bright sunlight
    more than good enough for hobbyist use.
    a friend earns his living using a hanimex 28-70 lens (el cheapo bought new for $70) for weddings
    his clients are happy. that is the only thing that counts
    i think event photography is 60% good PR and 40% results
    if the client does not like you, even if you have perfect photo, they will find some reason to hate it

    cameras and lenses are made in taiwan (since 1970s), china (recently Jap firms open factories in china eyeing the gigantic market), malaysia (minolta and nikon and canon), indonesia (yup, fuji and rollei), korea, thailand (canon),
    they are all ok. oh, yah, did I mention germany ? canada too for some time. and france - angenieux, russia - hey, they can send people into space so they have the technology

    you will want to own brand name lenses later
    maybe to identify with the brand or you just like it
    some are expensive
    it is nice to own good stuff
    even if one does not take great pics

    by the way, there is nothing wrong with owning camera equipment and not taking any pictures
    there are people with more cars than they can drive
    or more watches than they can wear
    ladies with many shoes - 3,000 ! (think imelda marcos)
    it is fun just to collect and learn more about the brand or equipment

    just do not deride other people whom you think own 'lesser' equipment.
    had some acquaintances long ago who had this obnoxious habit
    you can criticise the equipment technically but not the owners or users
    but then again singapore photo hobbyists identify too closely with 'their brand'
    and react as though you hurt them personally if you say something bad about some piece of equipment. watch out.
    sometimes the reaction is childish
    Last edited by ricohflex; 18th September 2005 at 10:44 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    i assisted a female wedding photographer in 2000,her charges are 3k for the shoot and she shoot with an old olympus OM-1 and a vivitar zoom lens which is about the same price range with cosina.

    her clients love the photos she produced!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Re: Is Cosina lens good?

    It certainly is nice to have a knowledgable bunch of people residing here within clubsnap.

    Admittedly, when i first saw this thread, i expected a ton of people to criticize and bombard the name cosina, citing quality, low resale, bla bla bla...

    And we did see a few posts.. expectedly.

    However, what put a smile on my face, were the replies of those that shared the sentiments that the name of the tool did not matter, but it was how u put it to good use.

    Cosina has been making quality glass since the early 70s, and though not as big a manufacturer as the other giants (Cikon and Nanon), their lenses have been known to be as sharp as their competitors, if not, better for certain generations and models. (esp their primes)

    Currently, they're involved in redoing most of the famous rangefinder systems, and are also proud manufacturers of lenses for the leica screwmount and M systems. I personally own a bunch of them, and can simply SWEAR for their optical quality, sharpness that's more shiok than the beef kuehtiao at geylang, and most importantly, a price that's .. er... nice.

    When i first began in the comms/journ industry almost 30 years ago, we were issued a number of cosina primes to use, and well, they did their job.... and that's what mattered.
    Hence, as what the "gurus" or what their called here, say, use it as a tool, and don't WORRY about its name for:

    1. The only lenses that hold their resale values over 3 - 5 years or more, are the leica/zeiss series of lenses. Even the 2nd hand market of nikon glasses arn't necessarily good too, with canon not doing too well either as they tend to discontinue their lenses at a faster rate. Hence, don't worry about it.


    2. Quality: this is in my own opinion... As for quality, i honestly feel you're not going to notice a vast difference unless u tend to shoot wide open into the edges of the sun, with constant intentions to blow your shots up beyond 16x20... so.. don't worry too much about it. The older cosinas were built to last and hence, the quality of the images i can say, are on par or are perhaps even better than its competitors.

    3. As i suppose you're a beginner, try to learn from what u have, and not get caught up in the "name" game, common amongst the many young dslr shooters u see wandering around. (L, ED, T*, etc) Use what u can afford, live and learn from it.... for it'll only make u appreciate what u can get later.

    Shoot well, and most importantly, have fun.
    Last edited by F5user; 19th September 2005 at 07:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •