Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honorary Doctorate.

Default Re: Honorary Doctorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_Hao
    It is more of the type of professorship. If it is just assistant prof, than most of the time, it will be just Dr xxxyyyzzz, if it is associate prof or just plain prof, it will be prof aaabbbbccc. In the past, my academic mentor was a associate prof, so i was always calling him Dr. In

Prof is an academic post. Something similiar to a job title. Just that it is very 'prestigous', just like the difference between SM and Dr. Attaining a PhD and continued work in a university does not guranttee u a post of even a assistant prof. Similiar, on the other side of the coin, it is posssible for to get a prof title without PhD.

Try calling a full Prof a Dr, u will see how fast the face change

anyway we never address our school's tutors with the title 'Dr.' ... don't sound like our profession

NUS still calls Dr/Prof Tan, Dr Lee, etc..

Professorship is conferred to one by an institution for certain break-through or acheivements... You wun find many professors around. Mostly are A/Prof or Asst. Profs.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 18th September 2005 at 11:26 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Aiyoh...nowadays so many institutions "offer" honorary Ph.Ds for a "donation". The premise of award is the candidate's "contribution" to the society.

I heard there are more "Dr."s in the Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (ASME) than in Singapore Medical Council...can someone verify?

Recently see alot of the small business towkays who can barely speak a full sentence of english without hokkien phrases also got "Dr." in their bizziness cards leh...damn impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSpots
    Aiyoh...nowadays so many institutions "offer" honorary Ph.Ds for a "donation". The premise of award is the candidate's "contribution" to the society.

I heard there are more "Dr."s in the Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (ASME) than in Singapore Medical Council...can someone verify?

Recently see alot of the small business towkays who can barely speak a full sentence of english without hokkien phrases also got "Dr." in their bizziness cards leh...damn impressed.
    The answer is they are towkays. What can you do?
    They have the lui $$.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSpots

Sorry, but I fail to see the link between speaking english perfectly with being a doctor or vice versa????? :-).........

I believe it is the actions/achievements/contributions that counts, and whether we can learn from these people.

HS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12