Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honorary Doctorate.

Default Honorary Doctorate.

Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has been awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws from University of New South Wales (UNSW). (Congratulations to SM!)

My questions are:

1. Does the Doctorate carry the title 'Dr.'?
    2. If the answer to Q1 is 'Yes', then does everyone now address SM as Dr. Goh? Or is the title only used in matters that are related to UNSW?

I am unsure about the concept of honorary Doctorates, hence the questions.

Thank you.

Default Re: Honorary Doctorate.

2. Which is more prestigious? SM Goh or Dr Goh?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Del_CtrlnoAlt,

Eerrrr. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I was just citing SM Goh's Honorary Doctorate as an example. Let us just say that another person (Mr. X) is conferred an honorary Doctorate. Then, do we call him Dr. X? (then followed by Q2 posted by me earlier)

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Canew; 17th September 2005 at 12:48 AM.

Well, though SM sounds more prestigious, you cannot be called SM for life ... One fine day when he retire, the title no longer stick ...

Quote Originally Posted by Canew
    Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has been awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws from University of New South Wales (UNSW). (Congratulations to SM!)

My questions are:

1. Does the Doctorate carry the title 'Dr.'?
    2. If the answer to Q1 is 'Yes', then does everyone now address SM as Dr. Goh? Or is the title only used in matters that are related to UNSW?

I am unsure about the concept of honorary Doctorates, hence the questions.

Thank you.
    Yes, you can call him Dr. Goh, but it all depends on the person lah! Some don't want to be called Dr all their life. Remember it is a title given to you due to your scientific or social contributions that warrants this title. However, it is a title that only has a real value when you are in the business......Asians generally have the tedency to 'show off' this title wherever they go, even if it has no meaning in the situation: like going for a holiday trip and checking in with your title.......Maybe for medical doctors, there is really no need to show your title, except for your ego.......

So, if you meet him personally, no need to call him 'Dr.' Goh, just say: hey Chock, or hey Tong how are you?! If you meet him officially (like for a business), then you need to call him 'Dr. Goh'.......

HS

Thanks, hongsien.

IC... Dr. Hongsien
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    IC... Dr. Hongsien
    No, call him Professor!

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    ......Asians generally have the tedency to 'show off' this title wherever they go, even if it has no meaning in the situation: like going for a holiday trip and checking in with your title.......Maybe for medical doctors, there is really no need to show your title, except for your ego.......
    HS
    Totally agreed on this, most of the time its only Asian wanted to show off their achievements.....

I did remember when I was studying in Australia, many students inclusive of myself addressed those university lecturers by name not professor or Dr.......

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    IC... Dr. Hongsien
    For you, it's Datuk Hong Kong Sien!

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Totally agreed on this, most of the time its only Asian wanted to show off their achievements.....

I did remember when I was studying in Australia, many students inclusive of myself addressed those university lecturers by name not professor or Dr.......
    Same for Holland where I was, but not sure about France and England though.........they are abit more formal there........also, it all depends on the period. In the old days (30-40 yrs ago), they did use those titles in public Europe........

They are professional titles, and should only be used in that context........

HS

in my school in NUS students hardly address tutors with their p.h.d. titles, always a Mr. or Mrs. or addressing by their first name even.

the showing off of achievement part don't really occur in school, it's usually in the business world that people do that.

But I did hear stories of my (western) colleagues that it sometimes pays to use your title in public: people tend to serve you better, faster, especially when there are problems.......;-), I personally find this not so amusing, the service doesn't come from the heart.

HS

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    in my school in NUS students hardly address tutors with their p.h.d. titles, always a Mr. or Mrs. or addressing by their first name even.

the showing off of achievement part don't really occur in school, it's usually in the business world that people do that.
    Strange, when I was working in SG a few years ago, people from NUS still addresses their tutors and our staff with Dr./Prof..........maybe it has changed in these 3 years????

In Holland though they do use all their titles when officially: Prof. Dr. Drs. (Doctorandus = Master) (or Ir. = engineer = Master), british/US way it is only Prof. (and no more inclusion of Dr.)........

HS

Strange, when I was working in SG a few years ago, people from NUS still addresses their tutors and our staff with Dr./Prof..........maybe it has changed in these 3 years????

In Holland though they do use all their titles when officially: Prof. Dr. Drs. (Doctorandus = Master) (or Ir. = engineer = Master), british/US way it is only Prof. (and no more inclusion of Dr.)........

HS
    students occasionally address tutors as Prof. (last name) sometimes, not that often, and usually for more senior tutors/dean/head of school, especially if one is not familiar with the person. otherwise the titles don't really matter both for the students and tutors. it could be that my school is smaller in size and we all know our tutors better as well.

but when it comes to official publications and such, i think it's fair to address anyone with their conferred titles.

The word is we addressed by name, not Dr, Professor, Mr or Ms..

In uk, the norm is

you call him/her dr. last name or prof. last name for undergraduate student/lecturer relationship

you call him/her by their first name (Paul, Barry or Stevens) for co-worker (master candidate/phd candidate/colleague) relationship

you call him/her by honey/luv for something alittle above co-worker relationship, haha

As for publications like conference/journal papers, they don't put titles in front of their name, in the name of fairness I suppose, meaning no preferential treatment for papers acceptance for publication should be given for distinguished doctor or professor.

The word is we addressed by name, not Dr, Professor, Mr or Ms..
    well, i'm sure it depends on the situation and how well both parties know each other, it's more or less the same everywhere

Same for Holland where I was, but not sure about France and England though.........they are abit more formal there........also, it all depends on the period. In the old days (30-40 yrs ago), they did use those titles in public Europe........

They are professional titles, and should only be used in that context........

HS
    Over at my university in UK, I also address my lecturers my first name EG: Richard, David, etc... Even going to the pub for lunch.

However, I donno about those stuffy ones in Oxbridge though...
    Last edited by Shodan99; 17th September 2005 at 06:27 PM.

students occasionally address tutors as Prof. (last name) sometimes, not that often, and usually for more senior tutors/dean/head of school, especially if one is not familiar with the person. otherwise the titles don't really matter both for the students and tutors. it could be that my school is smaller in size and we all know our tutors better as well.

but when it comes to official publications and such, i think it's fair to address anyone with their conferred titles.
    It is more of the type of professorship. If it is just assistant prof, than most of the time, it will be just Dr xxxyyyzzz, if it is associate prof or just plain prof, it will be prof aaabbbbccc. In the past, my academic mentor was a associate prof, so i was always calling him Dr. In

Prof is an academic post. Something similiar to a job title. Just that it is very 'prestigous', just like the difference between SM and Dr. Attaining a PhD and continued work in a university does not guranttee u a post of even a assistant prof. Similiar, on the other side of the coin, it is posssible for to get a prof title without PhD.

Try calling a full Prof a Dr, u will see how fast the face change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast