Thread: Questions on Flickr

Default Questions on Flickr

Can I know, how do you prevent others from downloading your photos in Flickr ?

I cannot get rid of the "download" button

Any tips ?

Thanks

Technically you can't prevent anyone from downloading your photos if you put it online, with or without download buttons.
    The moment others can see your photos on their computer monitors, your photos are already stored inside their hard disk, all they need to do is know where to locate your photos inside their hard disk.

The only way not to let others download your photos is not to put it online.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Default Re: Questions on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Technically you can't prevent anyone from downloading your photos if you put it online, with or without download buttons.
    The moment others can see your photos on their computer monitors, your photos are already stored inside their hard disk, all they need to do is know where to locate your photos inside their hard disk.

The only way not to let others download your photos is not to put it online.
    Yes catchlight.

My question is whether there is a preference in Flickr where you get rid of the download button, at least not to make it so easy for the not so savy users to download ...

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RyanKhoo View Post
    Yes catchlight.

My question is whether there is a preference in Flickr where you get rid of the download button, at least not to make it so easy for the not so savy users to download ...

Thanks
    In the privacy settings, set picture to Private.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    In the privacy settings, set picture to Private.
    Thanks daredevil,

In the privacy settings under "Who can access your original image file", I have already selected "ONLY YOU"

The thing that I am not sure is, how come after selecting "ONLY YOU", the download button still appears ?

Thanks.

I copy & paste that option as below:

This setting lets you choose who can see your original image files.

Enabling this setting also places deterrents to discourage downloading of your other sizes. (And we really do mean "discourage". Please understand that if a photo can be viewed in a web browser, it can be downloaded.)

Who should be able to access your original image files and other sizes without deterrents?

Only you
    Your friends and family
    People you follow
    Any Flickr member
    Anyone (Recommended)

Thanks daredevil,

In the privacy settings under "Who can access your original image file", I have already selected "ONLY YOU"

The thing that I am not sure is, how come after selecting "ONLY YOU", the download button still appears ?

Thanks.

I copy & paste that option as below:

This setting lets you choose who can see your original image files.

Enabling this setting also places deterrents to discourage downloading of your other sizes. (And we really do mean "discourage". Please understand that if a photo can be viewed in a web browser, it can be downloaded.)

Who should be able to access your original image files and other sizes without deterrents?

Only you
    Your friends and family
    People you follow
    Any Flickr member
    Anyone (Recommended)

the download button will always be there, for whatever setting you set.

if you click on it and open a page that tell you can download this photo of your, it is because you are login into your flickr account, of course YOU CAN DOWNLOAD you own photo, because you already say so.

try log out your flickr account and check the same page see what show up there.

Blog Entries

Thanks daredevil,

Errrr... you are logged in as you right? So when viewig the photo, you are actually viewing the photo you own right? Of course flickr shows you a download button with full options... because you are the owner of the picture. If someone else log in and try to view your picture, the download button will still be there, just that the original size option will not be there. other smaller sizes will still be there.

And in my previous comment, I meant that you should set the option "Viewing this photo" at the picture level to "Private". That way, only you can view the photo, and no one can see the photo from your photostream nor see the download button. But you will still be able to hotlink the photo using static url if you want to.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd May 2015 at 07:29 PM.

In Settings, click on the Privacy and Permissions tab. In the Global Setting's first item, "Who can access your image files?," choose "Only You." When visitors visit your Flickr site, they can view and a message like this will show if the download icon is clicked on: The owner has disabled downloading of their photos. As it is rightly said, the only way is not to upload any photo you don't want others to copy.
    Last edited by macVince; 3rd May 2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Why not simply put a watermark that is slightly translucent in the middle of the photo if you fear so much that it will be use by others. First ask yourself why would you want to post your photos for the world to see or for a small group? If it is just a small group there are other sites you can do that and provide them special link to view them.

You can also use facebook where you can restrict who gets to see them? FB is a more controlled and localized way to protect your creative property i would think yes? So what's your intent for your photos?

So long you want to show all the people on internet be it friends or strangers who stumble on to your photo collection then you have to accept the risks that people will always be able to find a way to gain unauthorized access and usage to them. Anyone can Google the web and find a site to teach you how to capture photos or videos. But those people usually want the photo for maybe a screensaver or some small project, For pros that's a given to their skill to steal your photos if they need and they are the one who will have high and maybe profitable reason for doing so. So if you want to prevent that group, good luck.

So how do you safeguard? Make your photos small so they can not use it for high resolution and the small prints will only be good enough for web work as the worst case scenario. But small photo has no impact. Thus put a watermark into the photo as I mentioned earlier. There are so many ways of putting watermarks without totally distracting the photos. Google and you can find many example how to do it.

And for some, they never put their best photos out there for the general public or some might impose a fair use option so long as they get credited for it and accept the fact that it might be used but doing so help them to sell their talent or professional services as photographers.

Flickr itself has many helpful information on how to use copyright on your photos..etc. You want to use the net to show off your skills via digital photo preview sites then you need to be net savvy on how those sites and APPS work by visiting all their help pages and FAQ.

Also people ight not want to steal your photo to use but they can just copy how you shoot it and make their own. So it really depend on how much and what you want to protect and extend you are willing go to protect your best work or all your photos.

Just something to chew on..
    A good photo's 45% you, 45% practice & 10% equipment. A bad photo share the same ratio.

Yes catchlight.

Thanks
    The download button will always be there, you can't get rid of it.
    it just click open to another page to tell those users viewing your photos that are these images downloadable or not.

for what you've said is only can discourage those who don't have any intention to keep your photos, for those who want to keep your photos, just simply Google how to download flickr photos that are disabled.

anyway, what is the best you can do is upload only low resolution images and watermark it, or simply don't share it.