Thread: Do you use any app to figure out sun location when doing landscape shots?

Default Do you use any app to figure out sun location when doing landscape shots?

Looking for recommendations as the sun is always in the wrong place when I want to shoot and I want to schedule my shoots around favorable times.

Blog Entries

You could try using The Photographer's Ephemeris (available on iOS but have to pay). Or on the desktop you can try using suncalc.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you use any app to figure out sun location when doing landscape shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Looking for recommendations as the sun is always in the wrong place when I want to shoot and I want to schedule my shoots around favorable times.
    I like to use Augmented Reality more. Easier and more convenient:
    Sun Seeker for iphone.
    Sun Surveyor for Android and iphone.

Default Re: Do you use any app to figure out sun location when doing landscape shots?

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    You could try using The Photographer's Ephemeris (available on iOS but have to pay). Or on the desktop you can try using suncalc.
    If you plan at home, Photographer's Ephemeris is also available online: http://app.photoephemeris.com/

Augmented reality is nice but I think it's more useful when you want the sun in your shot. If you want the sun out of your shot but at a specific angle, then augmented reality won't help you much.

For android there's Exsate Golden hour. It's free

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    If you plan at home, Photographer's Ephemeris is also available online: http://app.photoephemeris.com/ Augmented reality is nice but I think it's more useful when you want the sun in your shot. If you want the sun out of your shot but at a specific angle, then augmented reality won't help you much.
    Haha ya i know TPE is available for free on desktop. I've been using suncalc on desktop since its bookmarked. Besides i figured since i intro-ed TPE i might as well mention another available option.