Thread: anti water repellent on filter?

Default anti water repellent on filter?

I was taking time lapse of the rain (under shelter but no window) and the rain water "attack" my fliter and caused the photos shown only the water droplets.

I saw those water repellent but will it damage the fliter coating? Thinking of using those and less water on my filter if same situation again.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: anti water repellent on filter?

you can try use rain x on a cheap filter.

even you using a water repellent agent on the filter, there will be still many tiny water droplets, they will only slide off if it is large enough. you may still have to use a blower to keep blow the water droplets off your filter.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Do have a cheap n spare filter for experiment. Cause rain water too much, might be clear off faster. Wondering can use on lenses and camera bodies or not, hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I saw those water repellent but will it damage the fliter coating?
    Quite possible, dunno if you've used Rain-x before, believe it contains solvents. The other question is whether it can be applied (or dries) without smearing and affecting clarity.

Recall reading that a hydrophilic (forces water into a thin film) coating is preferred instead of a hydrophobic (forces water to bead up) coating.

See:
    http://petapixel.com/2013/09/16/toki...ing-rain-lens/
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/985...r-cut-nd-range

Rain-x and the others will not help much, big droplets will fall off, but smaller will still stay on, though it will definitely be easier to blow away with a blower like Catchlight had mentioned. Also, these coatings if not cleared thoroughly enough will cause flares or haziness under strong lights.
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

Btw, I Google "anti water repellant/repellent", got some nice product, Anyway, will try it one day on a cheap filter.