Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Models

  1. #21

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias7
    i realised that the models most Csers shoot lack of sth. the X factor.
    i see that most models do have quite perfect features. complexion is like completely flawless,
    long hair, slim with make up. but most just lack of that X-factor.
    alright, im gonna get lotsa bombardments haha, but yeah this is what i think so.
    Agree..........

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by lil_princess
    Anyway, I'm just wondering why is this thread in the photo gallery in the first place?
    Shouldnt it be somewhere like in Kopitiam, where you guys can discuss, or 'talk c**k, sing song'?
    true ho , +1 before move
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  3. #23
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias7
    haha thats just my personal perspective, do i necessarily need to show images of models who has the X-factor? besides, i think i have someone who agrees with me.

    it's just a comment that i strongly believes in which i don't think that i have to show one to prove that whatever statement i've said is wrong. like i said, it's something that i "think" and sees it. i've seen some nice ones like the one lil_princess shot. the one with the tilted frame.
    Some how someone will ask you this question, why don't be me, anyway, I also don't show people much about my works, mainly most of them are paid jobs, they paying me to shoot, not paying to show their faces around.

    I just trying my luck to see if I ask you in a nice manner, will you be kind enough to show some of you works.

    Better than someone challenge you to show something later.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Some how someone will ask you this question, why don't be me, anyway, I also don't show people much about my works, mainly most of them are paid jobs, they paying me to shoot, not paying to show their faces around.

    I just trying my luck to see if I ask you in a nice manner, will you be kind enough to show some of you works.

    Better than someone challenge you to show something later.
    i think u really don't understand what im saying here. when i said "not necessarily i need to show ya" what i meant was that im not compelled to do so doesnt mean that i do have works to show. haha even if some1 challenges me to show something i'll still say the same thing. perhaps u think i have work to show, yeah i do but not relevant to what we're talking about. haha maybe this is where the miscomm sets in.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: Models

    I think you're missing the point of the forum. I pay for model service and practice shooting and post here. I am not entitled to make good photos but I can test new technique or equipment and be experimental. Granted my photos don't have x-factor and the objective is to gauge the reaction or comments from fellow phtographers. The day I can be consistent in producing good photos is the day I get paid to shoot and not the other way around. Of course, I will also prefer to get royalty if CSers wants me to post my "x-factor"-enhanced photos here.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Models

    alias, x-factor is some stupid marketing word thrown around by people who don't have a better way of analyzing and understanding why the things that affect them actually affect them.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Models

    i think Xfactor is part of looks

  8. #28

    Default Re: Models

    your topic is not new to us ....
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  9. #29

    Default Re: Models

    to me, x factor means eye contact, normal shots can be good when subject eyes tells a story.

    some shoot with wonderful lightings control, but they can't bring out the model feelings, the stories they need to portrait. So, good or bad, up to individual.

    I have seem ppl with years of experience, but they just can't shoot ppl, they can shoot models naked, artistic or wat so ever, they handle lighting etc well, but come to bring out the x factor, they fail.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  10. #30

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    alias, x-factor is some stupid marketing word thrown around by people who don't have a better way of analyzing and understanding why the things that affect them actually affect them.
    Agreed!

  11. #31

    Default Re: Models

    hahaa matt i agree with u on this...to some extent its created by marketing ppl..but wats the underlying reason for this creation...i tink tt is of the essence here...

    let me sum it up...x-factor cannot be defined...i choose to believe tt its a matter of perspective...but due to society's influence, we all have generally common concepts of y things work and wat is nice etc...

    so to put it simply...x factor is what works.... in this case specifically i tink it means the WOW! factor if i am not mistaken...

    cheers...
    The Witness

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: Models

    x-factor.... its all in the mind... and a matter of influence....


    btw, not only models must have the x-factor, photographers also must have the "EYE" another form of x-factor and it goes down the production line, the art director must be able to identify the x-factor and blah balh blah..

    anyway.. what's so great about this topic?
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  13. #33

    Default Re: Models

    X-factor is another way form of "emperor' new clothes" concept. The person who claims to be able to 'see' the X-factor will command certain 'power/respect' from those who cannot 'see'.

    Just my 2 cents.

    p/s - personally, i dun really see the point of this thread

  14. #34
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Models

    wah this topic brings back memories

    where is he anyway? the other guy said that he can teach the people here how to get the x-factor, which is very different from what Alias7 said.

    anyway the x-factor is a certain look that was captured and is the work of both the photographer and sitter. One day you have it and another it is gone.

    as witness said "i tink it means the WOW! factor"

    this more or less sums it up

  15. #35

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias7
    i realised that the models most Csers shoot lack of sth. the X factor.
    i see that most models do have quite perfect features. complexion is like completely flawless,
    long hair, slim with make up. but most just lack of that X-factor.
    alright, im gonna get lotsa bombardments haha, but yeah this is what i think so.
    X-factor is one of those ellusive thing and very subjective. I am not going into defining what x-factor is to me. One thing for sure, what I consider x-factor maybe just so boring for you, and that is fine.

    That said, coming back to OP's comment, I agree totally. I have seen and shot beautiful local models here in Singapore, and as the OP said, I found the images lacking in something. I just don't get excited in the images created. Maybe, I judt don't have the "eye" for the x-factor? But I had been shooting long before I came here, and I had been much more excited about the images I created before. This is why I agree with the OP, local models lack the x-factor, and this "lacking" is purely a personal preference, not a slam against the local models.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    alias, x-factor is some stupid marketing word thrown around by people who don't have a better way of analyzing and understanding why the things that affect them actually affect them.
    So what is really the X factor? Maybe a picture is worth a 1000 words. Anyone got pic to show? Maybe, only with pic I can understand. Need not be a pic taken by any of us, but could be from a book, a mag whatever.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias7
    haha .
    this is a photography forum, this is not a haha forum.
    Objection !!!

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northland
    Posts
    2,141

    Default Re: Models

    I have said before ..and I am going to say it again...someone close to us locally...

    STEPHANIE SUN has X-factor......It's a phenomenon....nobody can explain it... maybe we Chinese usually ve "eight characters" while they ve more ????

    Her first album sale was like ??????? and even she cant explain why ... IMHO, X-factor is when I must take a second, third,fourth ..or even a 100th look at an image / model

    When u ve it, u ve it ...u cant demand one or expect to create one If I may name a few celebrities who may ve "x" factor.....KAREN MOK (HK) ? Simon Yam Tat Wah (HK)? Andrew Lin Hoi (HK)? David Beckham (UK)? Harrison Ford (US)?, Bruce Willis (US) ?, Wong Li-Lin (SG)? Constance Song (SG)? Shiho Asaoka (JP) ..the recent DCA 2004 Japanese RQ ? - she is more than a pretty face la ... dun flame me hor, u can beg to differ .... IMHO only

    *haii* I think in Dialect terms ....it's called "say" ..... U must ve that "say or Sey" ..makes people turn their heads to take a second look at you whenever you walk past


    I still dunno what it is ...u go find it ......

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Models

    X-factor basically means its an unknown, arbitary factor...

    So saying so and so lacks a X-factor... or you do not have the X-factor... simply means that the speaker cannot determine why that person does not excite or intrigue him/her. Why is that so? Only the person calling the X-factor knows.

    BUT for certain models/actress/actors... there is a certain look that appeals more to the masses... and thus more people agree that there is something inexplicably attractive about them... Since its hard to describe what it is... its called the X-factor.

    Also contributing to this vague X-factor is the photographer who can turn an ordinary person into a nice looking shot with X-factor.

    As to why Alias7 thinks CS models do not have the X-factor... well, only Alias7 will know... Hahahaha!

    Its either all the models CMI or all the photographers CMI or Alias7 has a hard to please libido...

    BEsides... maybe all the models and photographers are going for the Y-factor. As in Y-not?


    As for me... yeah, a couple of X-factor shots here and there. Its a forum anyway, so you can't expect all the award winning shots here... there'll be newbie photogs and models too.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Models

    Quote Originally Posted by AhV
    I have said before ..and I am going to say it again...someone close to us locally...

    STEPHANIE SUN has X-factor......It's a phenomenon....nobody can explain it... maybe we Chinese usually ve "eight characters" while they ve more ????

    Her first album sale was like ??????? and even she cant explain why ... IMHO, X-factor is when I must take a second, third,fourth ..or even a 100th look at an image / model

    When u ve it, u ve it ...u cant demand one or expect to create one If I may name a few celebrities who may ve "x" factor.....KAREN MOK (HK) ? Simon Yam Tat Wah (HK)? Andrew Lin Hoi (HK)? David Beckham (UK)? Harrison Ford (US)?, Bruce Willis (US) ?, Wong Li-Lin (SG)? Constance Song (SG)? Shiho Asaoka (JP) ..the recent DCA 2004 Japanese RQ ? - she is more than a pretty face la ... dun flame me hor, u can beg to differ .... IMHO only

    *haii* I think in Dialect terms ....it's called "say" ..... U must ve that "say or Sey" ..makes people turn their heads to take a second look at you whenever you walk past


    I still dunno what it is ...u go find it ......
    kate moss too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •