Thread: How much silica gel?

Default How much silica gel?

Hey guys,

Got a little question for you... I've got a dry box (L12"xW8"xH8")... How much silica gel should I add for two cameras and 4 lens? I've heard that adding too much is not good for the parts inside.

Thanks!
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

Default Re: How much silica gel?

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Hey guys,

Got a little question for you... I've got a dry box (L12"xW8"xH8")... How much silica gel should I add for two cameras and 4 lens? I've heard that adding too much is not good for the parts inside.

Thanks!

Gee..surprise no one answer this yet....

Well I doubt there really a formula to this base on the dimension of a given size box. All this years I have always played it by ear. I err on the side of going abit over-board and it has not hurt any of my camera nthus far.

There has been comment by those who mentioned that keeping your gear in a dry box or cabinet for too long is bad. They might have a point there but then again that is something I have never tested since I regularily take my gear out to shoot. If my gear remain in the box for that long that problem starts to developing I should be asking if I should carry on with the hobby hehe. I think the only real problem are to the rubber and certain plastic parts. When it gets too dry, it can get brittle. ( I notice with the newer lens from Nikon, the locking device now has a rubber seal or skirting, that might harden and get brittle in time but then again it will still get that way on it's own as it age lah) Air that is too dry can have some progressive effect to some material but as I mentioned, I don;t leave it in my dry box long enough to ever have that problem. (average frequency of taking the camera out from 1-3 times per week to 2-3 time per month when really busy)

Anyway... as i mentioned...I go abit over. It is over board as I see it as I have seen others who just pour a thin layer of it (about less then 10mm height). Long term wise I have not heard from them if it is efficient enough or not so I am not sure if their way works or not. I have a dry box about the size you have sometime ago and well I usually buy a jar's worth and pour them all in. A jar is alittle more then a typical jam jar size for your estimation. I pour them all onto the bottom of the box. My box does not have a raised platform to separate the silicon gels from my camera gear so I get this plastic grill with short legs from an aquarium and cut it to size and place it over the silicon. place a light cloth over it and then just lie as much as my gear would fit. My thinking is if there is no moisture left to adsorb then it just stop adsorbing....if not what? it adsorb the lube an doil in the caemra mechanism too? heheheh... nah seriously..I have use one whole jar of it in that small size box and have never had a problem with my gear at least based on my usage of my gear. A jar should last you a few good years and that after having been "recharged" about 3-4 times a year.
    Last edited by sammy888; 16th September 2005 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    Gee..surprise no one answer this yet....
    thats bcause this is a topic that has been discussed many times over already...

Thanks Sammy for the tip!

2 cameras and 4 lens?

Just spend 10% of what your camera worth, buy a dry cabinet and save all your trouble to “maintains” the silica gel for many years.

the cost of cabinet is only equivalence to cost of cleaning two lens with fungus.

Thanks, that's what I intend to do once I get my 350D. Still saving up for the cam, though.

BTW, you're from Punggol too? Same here... staying near PP... Perhaps one day can meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by philliptan
    Thanks, that's what I intend to do once I get my 350D. Still saving up for the cam, though.

BTW, you're from Punggol too? Same here... staying near PP... Perhaps one day can meet up.
    I got a better idea, a kopi session

More photographers from Punggol in CS, check out PhotoAid thread Season 5