Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Friend's Wedding - The correct settings?

Default Re: My Friend's Wedding - The correct settings?

Quote Originally Posted by _BEE_
    Dear All,

I will be using my SLR Film Camera to shoot at my good friend's wedding. To be on the safe side, I would like to confirm the "standard settings".

For Daytime:
    EOS 300, Metz 54 MZ 3 Flash on Auto, F5.6, 1/30, ASA 200 (I read that is good to use 1/45 but I do not have this setting on my analog SLR)

For Ballroom Dinner:
    EOS 300, Metz 54 MZ 3 Flash on Auto, F5.6, 1/30, ASA 400

Am I on the right track?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bee
    I will be blunt about it again. Why, why, why?
    The only reason your friend insist that you shoot for them, and given that you are not an experience wedding photographer, is to save money. However, their expectation will not be that of an inexperienced photgrapher, they will want all the bells and whistles, perfectly composed shots and much more. Are you willing to risk friendship for this?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    The only reason your friend insist that you shoot for them, and given that you are not an experience wedding photographer, is to save money. However, their expectation will not be that of an inexperienced photgrapher, they will want all the bells and whistles, perfectly composed shots and much more. Are you willing to risk friendship for this?
    Argh... I took their ROM pictures and they turn out well. So, ... Well, I just talked to them again that no high expectations for me please as I will just do my best. I even refused to take a single cent else I will be damn stressed. There will be 2 persons taking the pictures (my other friend and I). She will be using her new 350D and I will be using my EOS300.

One more question. I realise that most photographers dstinguish themselves by wearing something less elaborate. Would it be weird if my friend and I wear as what other jie-meis will be wearing? Any one has any experience in this?

One more question. I realise that most photographers dstinguish themselves by wearing something less elaborate. Would it be weird if my friend and I wear as what other jie-meis will be wearing? Any one has any experience in this?
    It's ok to shoot in dresses or suits (for guys).... but dresses might be a bit constraining when you want to shoot certain angles.

How about the flash leh?

I have an omnibounce and have not cut out my bounce card. Should I just make do with my omnibounce? Can I just set my flash to auto all the time?
    You can use omnibounce in indoor situation like HDB flat, and use bounce card for indoor with big open space like ballroom (to cut a bounce card only takes less that 1/2 hour, why don't do it now?). Some people prefer to use bounce card all the way, and they is not hard and fast rule for what to use, mostly is base on experience and personal preferences.

Yes, you can set your flash on auto, always remember to check the camera and flash are setting at the same f-stop.

It would be good if you can wear blouse and pant instead of dresses when you are shooting. Same color blouse as other jie-meis will be even better.

There will be some wedding couples do not wish to hire a professional like me, they can and will accept with any amateurís works, if no amateur is available, the wedding couple can even accept anyone using a point and shoot camera.

If any wedding couples just only want to save money by asking friends to help, the quality of the pictures, professional service, guidance of the event is not their main concern, let it be.

Thanks so much. Very useful tips.
    ))))))

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    You can use omnibounce in indoor situation like HDB flat, and use bounce card for indoor with big open space like ballroom (to cut a bounce card only takes less that 1/2 hour, why don't do it now?). Some people prefer to use bounce card all the way, and they is not hard and fast rule for what to use, mostly is base on experience and personal preferences.

Yes, you can set your flash on auto, always remember to check the camera and flash are setting at the same f-stop.

Deregistered

You're welcomed.

Btw, when will you be start shooting digital?

Remember to shoot all in RAW, must come back at least with 1500 images, OK?
    hehe ..... actually i have start shoot digital long time ago wor .... start at D1 ( lasttime still selling 9K wor ) ... then i switch to S1 .... then now S2 .... and then since my S2 CCD have problem, although can fix at FOC ..... but from there onwards i dun like to invest digital SLR liao ....
    Cannot lar ... shoot 1500 in raw .... i am not pian jia lor .... haha

Now play slide happyily with f5 .... keke

Deregistered

It would be good if you can wear blouse and pant instead of dresses when you are shooting. Same color blouse as other jie-meis will be even better.
    haha ...... my dress code is always " Pink " ..... so nexttime saw someone using a lomo-LCA with pink top ... is mee xxxger ye !!!!

i think her friends are aware she is not a pro-photographer and their expectations will be set accordingly. i doubt they will lose their friendship over this

there's always a first time for everyone, and if her friends are willing to give her a shot, let's give her some encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i think her friends are aware she is not a pro-photographer and their expectations will be set accordingly. i doubt they will lose their friendship over this

there's always a first time for everyone, and if her friends are willing to give her a shot, let's give her some encouragement.
    Fully understand yours and OP's response to my comment. However, the wedding day is nonetheless a very important moment. A day that marks the beginning of a new chapter, and never to be repeated again, at least that is what all newly weds planned on at the beginning. The pictures are the main if not only thing that really can bring back those memories. The risks of messing it up and the results of a messed up shoot, are just not worth it.

Giving OP a chance, well, the chance should not be the main photographer at her friend's wedding. OP should try to get in as back up on a few weddings, shooting alongside and behind some seasoned pro, these are ways to gain experience, not at your best friend's wedding.

Just my opinion. I wish OP best of luck. I still think it's a bad idea, and beside, it's your best friend's wedding, you should be celebrating the occasion, not working during the party.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Fully understand yours and OP's response to my comment. However, the wedding day is nonetheless a very important moment. A day that marks the beginning of a new chapter, and never to be repeated again, at least that is what all newly weds planned on at the beginning. The pictures are the main if not only thing that really can bring back those memories. The risks of messing it up and the results of a messed up shoot, are just not worth it.

Giving OP a chance, well, the chance should not be the main photographer at her friend's wedding. OP should try to get in as back up on a few weddings, shooting alongside and behind some seasoned pro, these are ways to gain experience, not at your best friend's wedding.

Just my opinion. I wish OP best of luck. I still think it's a bad idea, and beside, it's your best friend's wedding, you should be celebrating the occasion, not working during the party.
    I can't say who is right or wrong but I just want to share an example. My friend told me that she have an officemate who would like me to take their wedding photos. I told her that I'll be charging $xxx. Last saturday I met my friends again and after helping her buy her first DSLR D70S [she asked me to teach her how to capture video... so after explaining, we ended up drinking]. She told me that her friend got turned off when they learned I'm charging. So she ended up taking the photo with her consumer cam.

My point is, some couples do not give as much thoughts about the photos like photographer does. This is also another example that free/cheap/newbie photographers does not necesarily affect the wedding market pie since these type of couples have no plans to engage experienced paid photographers in the first place.

Blog Entries

There are many hyenas, wolfs, great white sharks around here, why single me out as buaya? I didn't even do anything.
    Aiya just joking only lah
    take it easy, as you said
    the people below you (#2, #3 ... ...) make you look like a buaya.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I can't say who is right or wrong but I just want to share an example. My friend told me that she have an officemate who would like me to take their wedding photos. I told her that I'll be charging $xxx. Last saturday I met my friends again and after helping her buy her first DSLR D70S [she asked me to teach her how to capture video... so after explaining, we ended up drinking]. She told me that her friend got turned off when they learned I'm charging. So she ended up taking the photo with her consumer cam.

My point is, some couples do not give as much thoughts about the photos like photographer does. This is also another example that free/cheap/newbie photographers does not necesarily affect the wedding market pie since these type of couples have no plans to engage experienced paid photographers in the first place.
    Quite agree. But still, this is something I don't understand. I heard this thru a wedding photographer. This couple were spending in excess of S$150K just for the banquet, and we have not factor in all the other expenses, but balked at spending S$1,800 for 12 hours of coverages on their wedding day. The couple countered S$800.

Well, to each their own.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quite agree. But still, this is something I don't understand. I heard this thru a wedding photographer. This couple were spending in excess of S$150K just for the banquet, and we have not factor in all the other expenses, but balked at spending S$1,800 for 12 hours of coverages on their wedding day. The couple countered S$800.

Well, to each their own.

For some couples, wedding photography is not as important as to others. It is at their "very low end of the expenditure scale".

Well, to each their own.
    I had that experience as well. I did a free one which was held in a 5-star ballroom hotel and even have paid videographer and wedding coordinator but insist on free photographers. They even turned down another guy who charge $350. So there was me, and another guy (family friend), who are both wet behind the ears. I did not really got "x-factor" enriched photos but it was a good learning experience for me and as you have stated above, I don't think I learned at the expense of the couples, and I don't think by accepting it as free, I stole someone else's rice bowl. It just an opportunity that I took a shot at, like a good wedding photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat
    For some couples, wedding photography is not as important as to others. It is at their "very low end of the expenditure scale".
    Am I glad I am no longer in this racket
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I had that experience as well. I did a free one which was held in a 5-star ballroom hotel and even have paid videographer and wedding coordinator but insist on free photographers. They even turned down another guy who charge $350. So there was me, and another guy (family friend), who are both wet behind the ears. I did not really got "x-factor" enriched photos but it was a good learning experience for me and as you have stated above, I don't think I learned at the expense of the couples, and I don't think by accepting it as free, I stole someone else's rice bowl. It just an opportunity that I took a shot at, like a good wedding photographer.
    Good for you!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Some wedding couple not willing to spend on AD photographers, so let it be, unless someone donít mind to do it for free.

Give the wedding couple what they want, not what the they donít want, even you think it is better choice for them, thatís their choice, their decision, being good or bad, we must learn to respect them.

The photos I took turned out to be very normal. Well, it was a good scary experience. Everything happened so fast and guess what? I did not change into fresh batteries for my flash and they went dry when the groom was at the gate!!! Arghh.... I had to use the built-in flash for a while. Scary.

And tomorrow, it will be the wedding dinner.

In gist, wedding photography is really a big deal. Not easy at all. Hats off to wedding photographers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast