Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slik and Manfrotto

Question Slik and Manfrotto

Hi, Need some help ....

Btw Slik Pro and Manfrotto 190Pro, which is a better choice for travelling ?
    Btw pan-head and Ball head, which is a better choice for landscape ?
    Can Ball head be used for shooting landscape ?

I am on a tour package so I reckon the timing might be tight, and therefore I need something easy and fast to use. I will be travelling to China soon for a 10 day trip to the beautiful Jiuzhaiguo in Sichuan.

So I am thinking to buy a better tripod to use. There will be a lot of waterfall and vast forest , mountainous landscape to shoot. Hence now got a bit of problem is selecting between Slik Pro c/w Ball head and Manfrotto 190Pro c/w 484RC2.

My equipment is a D70 with Medium lense. I am 1.68m tall.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Slik and Manfrotto

I'll choose the Manfrotto
    but on a package tour?
    I won't bring my tripod...

Why? the landscapes will be filled with other tourists taking pictures as well
    and you will not have the time to get a good shot.

Can bring a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    but on a package tour?

i will choose Manfrotto... but at 1.68m, dun think even after fully extend, it reach that height...

but since u on package, sure got mates ard.. u shoot for them, they shoot for u...

Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

but on a package tour?

So i guess it will advisable not to bring a tripod ? Instead I should bring a Monopod with a Ball head to steady my shot ?

I want to get a good shot at the waterfall with a slow shutter speed to get the silky effect of the water, and I am thinking that if I am shooting landscape, shouldn't I use F13 to F16 to get sharp image ?

Thanks for Ortega for the constructive advice. You may be right on the timing as I am on package tour. Might be rushing and a lot of tourist. It's peak season when I am going a End Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by WKK
    So i guess it will advisable not to bring a tripod ? Instead I should bring a Monopod with a Ball head to steady my shot ?

I want to get a good shot at the waterfall with a slow shutter speed to get the silky effect of the water, and I am thinking that if I am shooting landscape, shouldn't I use F13 to F16 to get sharp image ?

Thanks for Ortega for the constructive advice. You may be right on the timing as I am on package tour. Might be rushing and a lot of tourist. It's peak season when I am going a End Sept.
    Its your choice! I bring tripod for holiday all the time. Japan, China, Vietnam, Bali, etc.
    U need tripod for the waterfall silky effect, u need tripod for the sunset, u need tripod for the smoky mountain, u need tripod for the group photo, and many more...

Blog Entries

silky waterfall needs a really slow shutter speed
    I don't think a monopod will do

anyone with experience on how slow?

Maybe a table pod for it's small size, keep the camera mounted

Blog Entries

don't need tripod for sunset, the setting sun is very bright

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Its your choice! I bring tripod for holiday all the time. Japan, China, Vietnam, Bali, etc.
    U need tripod for the waterfall silky effect, u need tripod for the sunset, u need tripod for the smoky mountain, u need tripod for the group photo, and many more...
    Thanks, yes you are right that it is my choice, but I am selecting between Slik and Manfrotto tripod, which is a better quality. That's why I asking for opinion from those who are owner or ex-owner of these tripod.

Whether I bring or not to the trip, IT'S A CHOICE. My choice now is to get a tripod and decide whether to bring or not later after purchasing it.

Thanks Astin for your great advice. Xie liao...

but on a package tour?

Yup, from personal experience, for package tour, usually tourists are given 30min to 1 hr for one location and quickly move on to the next place, and also, sometimes the place is so big that the group need to follow the tour guide or else could lost your way, so not much free time for long-exposure photography.

Lastly, as ortega has pointed out, the place is usually crowded with other tourists. I would leave the tripod at home unless it is a free-and-easy tour.

As for Manfrotto vs Slik. As for me, things to consider are:
    1. What is your max weight set up, ie. body + heaviest lens ?
    2. What is the weight of the tripod?

Note: Heavy tripod will wear you down very fast.
    Last edited by billpepsi; 15th September 2005 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WKK
    ...Hence now got a bit of problem is selecting between Slik Pro c/w Ball head and Manfrotto 190Pro c/w 484RC2.

My equipment is a D70 with Medium lense. I am 1.68m tall.
    I use 190Pro and 484RC2, and D100, and I am 1.68m tall, almost same set up as u.
    On tour, especially China one, the tour guide will usually lead the group and talk a lot about the story and history, so normally I skip, (I read books beforehand so I know what he wants to talk anyway) and proceed to choose the spot and set up my tripod and start shooting, so when the tour guide finish his story, he normally would tell the group, "now u all can take a few photos here, and meet back at the coach in 15 minutes time...", by this time I also finish taking photos.

Why not go down to Cathay Penisular and try it yourself...I am sure Chrish can give you a good service there

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    I use 190Pro and 484RC2, and D100, and I am 1.68m tall, almost same set up as u.
    On tour, especially China one, the tour guide will usually lead the group and talk a lot about the story and history, so normally I skip, (I read books beforehand so I know what he wants to talk anyway) and proceed to choose the spot and set up my tripod and start shooting, so when the tour guide finish his story, he normally would tell the group, "now u all can take a few photos here, and meet back at the coach in 15 minutes time...", by this time I also finish taking photos.

hi Astin,

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. I might follow suit. Seem a lot of people are using 190PRO and 484RC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Why not go down to Cathay Penisular and try it yourself...I am sure Chrish can give you a good service there
    Yep. I will going down tommorrow to check those out. I need to get something light, Sturdy and good investment in case I upgrade to bigger lens.

get a gitzo and never look back again i used to carry a monopod while traveling until I realised I am never in any of the shots so went to get a tripod lately

My SLIK 400PRO is serving me well.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbot
    get a gitzo and never look back again i used to carry a monopod while traveling until I realised I am never in any of the shots so went to get a tripod lately
    Nah.... Too expensive for my wallet... I might end up looking for my way home instead...

Budget around 200+ or less for a Manfrotto + Ball head.. Already spent $2K on the trip already.... saving for a FF DSLR also.... Jus hoping Nikon will come out with 1.

I on the "darkside" liao....

Quote Originally Posted by Canew
    My SLIK 400PRO is serving me well.
    I was looking at the Slik Sprint or Sprint Pro series... but not sure how much is a Ball head that fit the Slik tripod.... Keeping my finger crossed that it is about $200+ or less for a set of Tripod and Ball head... Anyway thank for the recommendation...

The Slik Pro series comes with quick-release legs so it may help in getting your setup done faster. In contrast, the Manfrotto 190 uses screw legs so it may a bit more troublesome.

If you are looking for a budget setup, do take a longer look at the Slik series since it is cheaper than the Manfrotto ones--or least I was quoted. I got the Slik Pro 500DX (c/w 3-way panhead) at $155 while I was quoted slightly more expensive for a Manfrotto + ballhead setup.

Chris @ CP Peninsula is a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    The Slik Pro series comes with quick-release legs so it may help in getting your setup done faster. In contrast, the Manfrotto 190 uses screw legs so it may a bit more troublesome.

If you are looking for a budget setup, do take a longer look at the Slik series since it is cheaper than the Manfrotto ones--or least I was quoted. I got the Slik Pro 500DX (c/w 3-way panhead) at $155 while I was quoted slightly more expensive for a Manfrotto + ballhead setup.

Chris @ CP Peninsula is a great help.
    Thanks Ah Pao , I thought the Manfrotto 190Pro is a quick-release leg type too ? I am contemplating on which type of head to get - Ball or Pan.

Will take note of what you say and fast set-up of tripod is definitely a must for me when I go for the trip. My wife will be with me so she can help me look out for the moving group while I snap snap... I will go and look for Chris @ CP tmmrw and see if he can help me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast