Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    You were in Sri Lanka? Lots of Bawa's residential projects there, and some are very nice, though not easy to shoot as they're private properties. His house/office has been turned into a fine-dining restaurant though. But his architectural style is still quite amazing, considering the low-quality workmanship of the local labour.
    yes, amazing works, simply inspiring



    Bawa actually 'crafted' the frangipani tree into the shape above at Lunuganga

  2. #22

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    I am particularly drawn to Bawa's drawings than the actual buildings. The intensity to incoroperate nature in his drawings is a sort after technique few can accomplish. If u have a chance do look at his floor plans and sections, the way a building is unified with the site and the environment is amazing. Bawa's work is truly a labour of love.

    Back to photography, do count me in if there is any outing.
    Last edited by rayshade; 18th September 2005 at 08:13 PM.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Is it completed the pool deck? The colonnade is a classic BTW yet to catch up on Kerry Hill's work since the A&A at mandai zoo.

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    One of my favourite in Singapore must be 82 Grange Road, The Colonnade. Designed by New York architect Paul Rudolph, most apartments have 9 metres high ceilings and large balconies that frame panoramic views of Singapore. Set amidst four acres of landscaped gardens with a recently upgraded pool deck commisioned by Kerry Hill Architects to further enhance the luxurious atmosphere.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Malacca, Malaysia.
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Hi,

    I am intereted in architecture and heritage work. I am also interested to go into digital but would like to receive suggestions-help on which lens(es) to get, etc.

    Roy Tan
    email: rgbtan@yahoo.com

  5. #25
    Member Papilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tan
    Hi,

    I am intereted in architecture and heritage work. I am also interested to go into digital but would like to receive suggestions-help on which lens(es) to get, etc.
    Hi Roy,

    I see that you're in Malacca, one of the premier historic cities particularly in the architectural heritage buildings in Malaysia. (The other one being Penang)

    When you say you're interested to go into digital, I presume you mean DSLRs?

    The crop factor for most DSLRs make architectural wide-angle photography a bit more challenging. That's why resorting to the super-wides is needed at times to get dramatic angles. The 12-24mm and 10-22mm are good examples. Of course, the prime wide angle lenses are hard to beat!

    Film users in the old days used to have tilt-shift (or perspective control) lenses, but the powerful imaging software today allows good manipulation of perspective controls quite effectively.

    I guess the veteran architectural photographers here can further advise you on their favourite equipment.
    Last edited by Papilio; 19th September 2005 at 09:40 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    count me in if a shoot is being planned!!

    i basically shoot anything!!

  7. #27
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Katong is a nice place. Still a few old villas left.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Haha, I don't have wide angle lenses nor do I use a DSLR..so usually my heritage shots are close ins.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  9. #29
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Haha, I don't have wide angle lenses nor do I use a DSLR..so usually my heritage shots are close ins.

    Neither do I.

  10. #30
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Katong is a nice place. Still a few old villas left.
    Blair Rd near Spottiswood Park, outside of the old Gan Eng Seng School that is near the Tanjong Pagar railway station has also nice baba style houses...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  11. #31
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b
    Blair Rd near Spottiswood Park, outside of the old Gan Eng Seng School that is near the Tanjong Pagar railway station has also nice baba style houses...
    So does Emerald Hill!
    Only off Orchard Road, yet it's so serene....

  12. #32
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Yo, anyone know where got those huge grand mansions around Orchard/Tanglin/River Valley area?

    I know of Istana, Istana Tyersall, traditional Chinese house at Devonshire Road and India House.

  13. #33

    Red face I like Colonial Buildings

    British Colonial Building, Winchester Road. Singapore.
    -

    -
    British Colonial Building, Hyderabad Road. Singapore.
    -

    -

  14. #34

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    architecture!!

    count me in. i am relatively new to singapore, but my tryst with architecture goes back further. you can see my vietnam and istanbul photos at http://vkashi.fotopages.com/
    currently using a FM10 but will own a D50 soon . by the way, all photos in that gallery are from a coolpix 5400.

    lets get together and go on a photoshoot...

    kashi

  15. #35

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    my hdb with a phone's camera..

  16. #36
    Senior Member icarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East
    Posts
    3,874

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Yup... Melaka and Penang are full of historical buildings...

    Here are some pics from my recent icarus outings:

    #1. Melaka: St. Francis Xavier's Church


    #2. Melaka: Cheng Hoon Teng's Temple


    #3. Penang : Siam temple


    All photos taken with Nikon F100 + AF-S 17-35/2.8 or Sigma 12-24


    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    Hi Roy,

    I see that you're in Malacca, one of the premier historic cities particularly in the architectural heritage buildings in Malaysia. (The other one being Penang)

    When you say you're interested to go into digital, I presume you mean DSLRs?

    The crop factor for most DSLRs make architectural wide-angle photography a bit more challenging. That's why resorting to the super-wides is needed at times to get dramatic angles. The 12-24mm and 10-22mm are good examples. Of course, the prime wide angle lenses are hard to beat!

    Film users in the old days used to have tilt-shift (or perspective control) lenses, but the powerful imaging software today allows good manipulation of perspective controls quite effectively.

    I guess the veteran architectural photographers here can further advise you on their favourite equipment.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

  17. #37
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    I like old architecture with ambience.

    Like Little India, Tiong Bahru (the old area) and the Black & White estates like Sembawang, Alexandra...

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    I like old architecture with ambience.

    Like Little India, Tiong Bahru (the old area) and the Black & White estates like Sembawang, Alexandra...
    We should organise a architectural hunt one day. Small group and maybe we can bring our wideangles or fisheyes.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?


    the famous Church of melaka,taken last mth on a riding trip.

  20. #40
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default Re: Any architecture or heritage lovers out there?

    Join AG outings, period.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •