Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Why 2 cents ?

  1. #1

    Default Why 2 cents ?

    Any idea why ppl always say "my 2 cents worth"? Any idea where this phase originated from or any story behind. Why 2 cent and not 1cents, 3 cents,...etc

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea
    Any idea why ppl always say "my 2 cents worth"? Any idea where this phase originated from or any story behind. Why 2 cent and not 1cents, 3 cents,...etc
    I guess it means "Just my humble opinion" .

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    I have also seen 0.02cents and 0.2 cents but never seen 1 dollar worth.


  4. #4
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    I've got a feeling the saying originated in England but they said 'tuppence' or 'two pence' instead of cents. Maybe it was a reply to the question, 'A penny for your thoughts?' by someone who over-valued their own opinion.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I'm a Llama!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    The origins of this expression seems to have different roots.

    It's a derivation of the term "two bits" which in poker play, used to be the smallest ante in the game (19th century). Putting your 2 bits in to stay in the game, as in putting one's last word in.

    It was also the cost of postage per ounce of mail in US during the late nineteenth century. So you would be able to let your opinion known for 2 cents...

    Take your pick, they both seem plausible to me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    it is quite irritating.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    i think Terence's second explaination is correct. I've heard similar explanation before.
    Anyway with inflation it should be 50 cents or even $1 worth hehe.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Just read from dictionary... tuppence is so small that it is almost considered as "worthless".
    Phil and Terrance explanation is enlightening.

    What about the connotation of this phase" my two cents worth"
    To some, it is humble or irritating or worthless opinion or etc...
    Wonder it is a more towards a "positive" or "negative" opinion?
    Very curious to know the connotation of this phase used commonly..
    Hope to hear sharing from those that used this phase often...
    I always used "my opinion" coz I do not really know what would other
    percieved..when I use this phase. Am I being polite when I use this phase?
    Share your thoughts.
    Last edited by Hosea; 15th September 2005 at 03:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    I think when people say "Here's my 2 cents worth" or something similar they are trying to tell you that it is their opinion or "In my humle opinion". By doing so most people feel they would have a less chance of 'offending' the other person. Also explains that this is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree with it. Anyway that is how I see it. Anyone else?

  10. #10
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    I confess for years ...it is very much a catchphrase for me when I have a view or opinion to express but not to be taken as the only view...just throwing in my share of "hot air" hehe.

    But to define that term well consider this :

    "An inconsequential opinion or comment given to another person on a particular topic. Not because it was warranted, but because the giver felt compelled to say it, regardless of its relevance."


    Well that my 2 cents on this discussion lah! :P

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I think when people say "Here's my 2 cents worth" or something similar they are trying to tell you that it is their opinion or "In my humle opinion". By doing so most people feel they would have a less chance of 'offending' the other person. Also explains that this is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree with it. Anyway that is how I see it. Anyone else?
    I tend to percieve the same.. what about others?
    Do anyone use it as more toward a negative connotation.. like " I am irritated"???
    or "it is actually worthless to give u a comment.. but for your own good, this is my
    opinion??"

    Treat this as a kopitiam talk.. just over a cup of coffee, we share our thoughts
    No right or wrong.

    Upzz

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosea
    Treat this as a kopitiam talk.. just over a cup of coffee, we share our thoughts
    No right or wrong.

    Upzz
    Ah so you are buying the coffee is it? haha. So you been travelling a lot lately? Lucky guy.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    I think its irritating when used too often also.

    Another guess... It could be a reversal of the phrase "a penny for your thoughts".

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Must admit I never did try to understand this phrase.

    Thanks for the very interesting comments.

    The way I perceive how this phrase is used, on a practically level, is that whatever opinion offered as a "2 cents" worth, is meant to be inconsequential, which therefore defeats the purpose of offering the opinion in the first place.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    What I really wanted to say all these years: My 2 balls lah





    But then nobody appreciates my honesty
    Last edited by Benign; 15th September 2005 at 04:59 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    I have also seen 0.02cents and 0.2 cents but never seen 1 dollar worth.
    I think u'd made a mistake about it...

    IT'S JUST MY ONE DOLLAR'S WORTH...
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  17. #17
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    What I really wanted to say all these years: My 2 balls lah





    But then nobody appreciates my honesty

    Then you should appreciate this other western catchphrase :

    'Balls to the Wall'

    It means to "cheong" all the way! heheh

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Ah so you are buying the coffee is it? haha. So you been travelling a lot lately? Lucky guy.
    Sure, can buy you a coffee.. it is just +68cents on top of 2 cents.
    Not traveling a lot..but going soon..

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888

    But to define that term well consider this :

    "An inconsequential opinion or comment given to another person on a particular topic. Not because it was warranted, but because the giver felt compelled to say it, regardless of its relevance."
    Clear definition .. where did you get this from? Izzit your own?

    The irony is:" it is Inconsequential or almost insignificant and yet compel to say it..."
    Wonder what is that compelling emotiion to drop a note?
    Last edited by Hosea; 15th September 2005 at 05:49 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Why 2 cents ?

    my peanuts worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •