Thread: Sensor Dust + Black spot in viewfinder

Default Sensor Dust + Black spot in viewfinder

Hi folks.

I understand that there're quite a few posts out there relating to sensor dust & black spot in viewfinder. Notwithstanding that, I'd greatly appreciate if you guys can assist me with some queries.

1. I am trying to test my d5300 for any sensor dust. Do I set aperture to, say F22, and shoot a white piece of paper? Do I have to focus on the paper? Also, if it's too dark, can I use a higher ISO setting? Would this affect the results?

2. I just noticed a black spot in my viewfinder which got me a pretty worried. My camera normally sits in my dry cabinet and the last time I took it out, there was no black spot. Took the blower to blow the viewfinder but the spot remains. Should I be concerned? I have never changed lens (18-140) so far, and it's placed in a bag if I ever do bring it out (though for overseas trips it hangs around me).

Thanks!

Default Re: Sensor Dust + Black spot in viewfinder

1. The higher the f stop the better. The spots would be more defined that way. I don't think increasing ISO would affect the results that drastically, but personally I just set a long shutter speed, like 15-20s on f22 and point against a white wall, or paper or anything that's blank, preferably light coloured to be able to see the spots more clearly. The blur doesn't matter cos dust spots don't move, so it will still be clearly defined

2. Probably just dust on the mirror. Wouldn't affect image quality. But I don't recommend trying to remove the spots yourself though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dura77 View Post
    1. The higher the f stop the better. The spots would be more defined that way. I don't think increasing ISO would affect the results that drastically, but personally I just set a long shutter speed, like 15-20s on f22 and point against a white wall, or paper or anything that's blank, preferably light coloured to be able to see the spots more clearly. The blur doesn't matter cos dust spots don't move, so it will still be clearly defined 2. Probably just dust on the mirror. Wouldn't affect image quality. But I don't recommend trying to remove the spots yourself though...
    Thanks for the reply! Won't 15-20s on f22 make the image really really bright?

Quote Originally Posted by MachCurve View Post
    You mentioned dark conditions, so in normal home lighting, it's quite dim so I usually set it as that. Oh I forgot to mention it's at ISO 100. It'll be better if it's a little towards the overexposed side for more contrast between the background and the spot. But of course if it's in a brighter place, just adjust the shutter speed accordingly. But I don't think ISO will really affect the spot visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dura77 View Post
    You mentioned dark conditions, so in normal home lighting, it's quite dim so I usually set it as that. Oh I forgot to mention it's at ISO 100. It'll be better if it's a little towards the overexposed side for more contrast between the background and the spot. But of course if it's in a brighter place, just adjust the shutter speed accordingly. But I don't think ISO will really affect the spot visibility.
    Hmm in that case does it matter how bright the image is? Even if it's really bright, the dust spots will still show up right?

You can shoot your computer monitor, just open a notepad in full screen, and check your monitor is clean and no spots.

I'm sure you know how to use your camera meter, if unsure, please consult your camera user manual.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hmm in that case does it matter how bright the image is? Even if it's really bright, the dust spots will still show up right?
    Not too bright. Generally avoid blown highlights. Some of the dust spots may not appear if it's too bright. Best is to try it and see what works

Your camera has a meter that will adjust shutter speed for correct exposure - unless you use M mode.
    Use A Mode, set f/16, set ISO100, point to a white wall. When pressing the shutter just move the cameras as if you sweep across the wall till shutter closes again. Examine picture in your computer screen. Follow up reading the numerous threads here about sensor cleaning. A word of advice: if unsure what to do and how, please have it done at Service Center. You can visit them many many times for the price of a sensor replacement.
    Regarding spots in viewfinder: leave it, period. Watch it moving around, disappearing, re-appearing... none of it will affect your pictures. Why sweat over it?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Your camera has a meter that will adjust shutter speed for correct exposure - unless you use M mode. Use A Mode, set f/16, set ISO100, point to a white wall. When pressing the shutter just move the cameras as if you sweep across the wall till shutter closes again. Examine picture in your computer screen. Follow up reading the numerous threads here about sensor cleaning. A word of advice: if unsure what to do and how, please have it done at Service Center. You can visit them many many times for the price of a sensor replacement. Regarding spots in viewfinder: leave it, period. Watch it moving around, disappearing, re-appearing... none of it will affect your pictures. Why sweat over it?
    Alright thanks! Any chance the black dots will in the viewfinder will find their way to the image sensor or sth?

On a side note, does anyone know where to buy (in shops) SD card holders? I'm looking for a small box that has compartments for SD cards (something like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&tag=dfn0c-20)

Also does anyone know where I can get lens pens from the Nikon cleaning kit? Just the lens pen itself.

Alright thanks! Any chance the black dots will in the viewfinder will find their way to the image sensor or sth?
    Only of the mirror is down and the shutter curtain is open. Something that the logic of a DSLR should not permit.
    On a side note, does anyone know where to buy (in shops) SD card holders? I'm looking for a small box that has compartments for SD cards (something like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&tag=dfn0c-20)
    Haven't seen hard cases, but soft cases are part of portfolio of most camera bag manufacturers.
    Also does anyone know where I can get lens pens from the Nikon cleaning kit? Just the lens pen itself.
    Lens pen is nothing Nikon specific, can be found in all camera shops as cleaning kit.
    EOS