Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

Quote Originally Posted by micah4
    IIRC, macdawn did mentioned she cropped the pics we are seeing now.
    after a 2nd look, the vignetting does occur at all 4 sides
    sorry my mistake

is it just me or is there quite a bit of distortion?

I was using a wide angle lens, so I guess, there will be distortion?

Blog Entries

so what is the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by macdawn
    Hi,

I just registered, and needed some advice. I had always been a digital point-and-shoot camera kinda girl. But had been fustrated with the limitation of the idiot proof camera. So recently I decided to try back to basic photography, after I got my hands on a 2nd hand Nikon FM 2, and as I prefer landscape pics, I also got a wide angle lens.

I had read up on photography, and had a rough idea about exposure, aperture and composition. So, I decided to experiment on my recent trip to Taiwan. But when I developed my very first roll of negatives, I found that, while some of my exposures were okay, some of them ended up with a dark ring around the pic. something like the one below.

You can see the dark ring round the pic, even though I try to crop them out. Otherwise the proportions looked a bit funny.

And I have no idea what happened! I mean, you dun get this kind of problem with my digital camera

Sure, I can crop it out everytime I get this, but I want to know what I did wrong, so that I can take note of it the next time I shoot. Please excuse my very ametuerish attempts.

Thanks a lot.
    I used a 58mm wide angle lens (third party) with my second cam (Fuji S5000), which I had to use a 55mm to 58mm converter to use the wide angle lens, no problem for this. The shop I bought the wide angle lens advised me to buy 58mm instead of 55mm was it would be 'better'. First time using wide angle, I had no experience so I just took it.

When I bought my third cam (Fuji S9500), it had 58mm thread lens. Using the 58mm wide angle lens produces similar results when used without zooming. Maybe it would be eliminated if I used a 62mm wide angle lens.

The point is, maybe you can eliminate the circles either by using original wide angle lens or by using a bigger wide angle lens.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12