Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Default Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Hi,

    I just registered, and needed some advice. I had always been a digital point-and-shoot camera kinda girl. But had been fustrated with the limitation of the idiot proof camera. So recently I decided to try back to basic photography, after I got my hands on a 2nd hand Nikon FM 2, and as I prefer landscape pics, I also got a wide angle lens.

    I had read up on photography, and had a rough idea about exposure, aperture and composition. So, I decided to experiment on my recent trip to Taiwan. But when I developed my very first roll of negatives, I found that, while some of my exposures were okay, some of them ended up with a dark ring around the pic. something like the one below.



    You can see the dark ring round the pic, even though I try to crop them out. Otherwise the proportions looked a bit funny.

    And I have no idea what happened! I mean, you dun get this kind of problem with my digital camera

    Sure, I can crop it out everytime I get this, but I want to know what I did wrong, so that I can take note of it the next time I shoot. Please excuse my very ametuerish attempts.

    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by macdawn; 15th September 2005 at 02:01 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    did you use any filter(s)?
    some unfit filters may cause such problem.

  3. #3
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Did you have a hood or filter on? I believe the vignetting is cause by the filter.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Quote Originally Posted by macdawn
    Hi,

    I just registered, and needed some advice. I had always been a digital point-and-shoot camera kinda girl. But had been fustrated with the limitation of the idiot proof camera. So recently I decided to try back to basic photography, after I got my hands on a 2nd hand Nikon FM 2, and as I prefer landscape pics, I also got a wide angle lens.

    I had read up on photography, and had a rough idea about exposure, aperture and composition. So, I decided to experiment on my recent trip to Taiwan. But when I developed my very first roll of negatives, I found that, while some of my exposures were okay, some of them ended up with a dark ring around the pic. something like the one below.



    You can see the dark ring round the pic, even though I try to crop them out. Otherwise the proportions looked a bit funny.

    And I have no idea what happened! I mean, you dun get this kind of problem with my digital camera

    Sure, I can crop it out everytime I get this, but I want to know what I did wrong, so that I can take note of it the next time I shoot. Please excuse my very ametuerish attempts.

    Thanks a lot.
    Looks like taken with a Holga....

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    which lens are you using on your fm2?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    I think it is the TAMRON AF 17-35MM, wide angle lens. I'm at work now, so I can't confirm the type of lens I was using. I got it at this 2nd hand camera shop, so it didn't come with a hood.

    I was experimenting with a circular polarising filter then, but the funny thing was, I took a series of shoots, but the dark ring appeared on some of the exposures, but not on others. Like I took 6 shots of the streets, only 2 or 3 showed the dark ring around the pics, that was why I was mystified. I mean, if the whole series had the same problem, it would mean something on the lens or my shooting techniques

    But I had some good shots between the lousy ones... *scratch head*
    I thought it was because I didn't set the aperture right or something but I dun remember anything blocking when I was taking the pic....

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Were you using the polarizing filter in the shots with dark corners (vignetting)?
    Did you stack filters ie. polarizing on top of the UV/sky filter?

    One possible reason why you don't see it all the time, is that the vignetting occurs only at the wider angles: 17mm+ and not throughout the entire 17-35 focal range. This will be compounded by stacked filters.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Hmmm.... the filter I was using doesn't have any dark edges. It's just a normal circular polarising filter, I think And I wasn't stacking filters, cos I thought you can only use one at a time?

    Oh, what is a Holga?
    Last edited by macdawn; 15th September 2005 at 12:26 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    The problem is simple: you are using your zoom with a pol filter, at extreme wide angle the rim of the filter is getting into the opening angle of the lens. Hence, the black cut outs in the corners of your pics. This is likely to happen at 17mm only, if you zoom to 25mm or so you will see that the black edges disappear. Higher aperture might reduce the black edges as well.
    This is the reason why Nikon produces oversized pol filters for their wide angle lenses.

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    The vignetting is probably caused by stacking of filters.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The problem is simple: you are using your zoom with a pol filter, at extreme wide angle the rim of the filter is getting into the opening angle of the lens. Hence, the black cut outs in the corners of your pics. This is likely to happen at 17mm only, if you zoom to 25mm or so you will see that the black edges disappear. Higher aperture might reduce the black edges as well.
    This is the reason why Nikon produces oversized pol filters for their wide angle lenses.
    I tend to agree w Michael here...it has to do w the filters at 17mm.

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    the strange thing is, why is the vignetting only at the top?

    the best way to figure it out is to test
    mount your camera on a tripod
    take a series of pictures at different focal lenghts
    one series with the cir pola and one without

    do you also have another filter on your lens?
    if you do, try another series without the filter
    and one more with just the cir pola and no other filter

    this will confirm the cause of your vignetting

    good luck! and welcome to ClubSnap

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The problem is simple: you are using your zoom with a pol filter, at extreme wide angle the rim of the filter is getting into the opening angle of the lens. Hence, the black cut outs in the corners of your pics. This is likely to happen at 17mm only, if you zoom to 25mm or so you will see that the black edges disappear. Higher aperture might reduce the black edges as well.
    This is the reason why Nikon produces oversized pol filters for their wide angle lenses.
    Oh.... oh.
    Hmm.. that sounds logical to me. Maybe that the problem? I'll take more notice the next time I try the filter at that length. I think I didn't notice if the filter was blocking at the side....
    So does that mean I can't use that filter at 17mm?

    I still have half a roll of film in the camera, will take note and see how it turn out?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    another possible cause is the aperture blade in the lens not stopping down fully when u release the shutter.

    take out the lens from the camera and turn to the smallest aperture hole(F22?) and check whether the blade is oily or damaged.

    a more thorough way to check is to mount the lens back on the camera with the film back open.

    set ur shutter speed to Bulb(B) **** the shutter,release it(shoot) and hold it there,and visually check by looking thru the lens from the open film back,see whether the hole created by the aperture is fully rounded or in any way restrained.

    Do this for all the aperture setting.

    If all seems ok,then most likely is the filter..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    wow! That's sounds like something I could do! I mean, after I finished with the roll that's inside....

    Thanks alot all! These are great advice
    Last edited by macdawn; 15th September 2005 at 12:47 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Aiya..
    As explained, stacking 2 filters at 17mm. Been there, done that.
    Viewfinder usually don't show coz it's not a 100% view.

    .

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Beside the Merlion
    Posts
    11

    Unhappy Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    But, but, but....

    I really didn't stack filters. I always thought you can only secure one filter on the lens at one time. I mean, there are no grooves on the filter where you can screw on another filter, or is there? I am getting confused.

    Besides, I only have two filter, the polarising one and the UV one, and when I had used the polarising filter, my UV one is inside my camera bag....

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    hi dawn,

    some brand/make of PL filter are thicker and will cause vignetting even when used alone.
    that's y there are slim version of PL filters available.

    and yes,u can screw on 2 filters 2gether

    hope this will clear up ur doubts.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    reminds me of my army days where i got to climb mountain and bash thru the thick vegetation in taiwan..once in a while will pass by some villages and see houses like that
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  20. #20

    Default Re: Newbie with some embrassing first shots

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    the strange thing is, why is the vignetting only at the top?
    ...
    IIRC, macdawn did mentioned she cropped the pics we are seeing now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •