Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

  1. #1

    Default PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...oto-shoot.html


    Americans, Canadians deported
    for illegal photo shoot

    You may need a WORK PERMIT!!

  2. #2

    Default

    Recalled there was an episode of The Big Shot where it was filmed on location in Yogjakarta or something

  3. #3

    Default

    Guess MediaCorp would have done their homework

  4. #4

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    stupidity.. stupidity everywhere..

    but seriously.. nothing that $$$ cannot solve
    the organizer probably 'forgot' to pay the authorities

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Recalled there was an episode of The Big Shot where it was filmed on location in Yogjakarta or something
    An entire season actually.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Based on the article the problem is that they organized a commercial photoshoot, but came with tourist visa. For The Big Shot episode mentioned, the team most likely have handled all the relevant paperwork beforehand (correct type of visa + permits for the specific locations).

    Quoting the article:
    The arrested foreigners were organizers of the photo shoot, seven models, two photographers, a lighting engineer, a hairdresser and make-up artists.

    The models were identified as Americans Candace Marie Dexheimer, Veronica Gonzalez, Jennifer Lauren Summers, Jessica Rose Jones, Cassandra Cody Sienega and Pashence Marie Cannon and Canadian Holly Wolf. The two photographers were Americans Sultan Yousef Ghahtani and Gary Edward Miller.

    The immigration official also arrested the organizers: a manager of the event, Luis Munoz, marketing officer Ronald Hansen and sales staff Mariel Dulgicer — all Americans — as well as Canadian hairdresser Dina Morel, make-up artist Aurelie Elisabeth Renout and a lighting expert Chloe Terae Thomson.

    Soleh said that the immigration team had conducted an undercover operation for three days from April 8 to 10. The team, he said, found that the foreigners conducted photo shoots in several other area, besides in the villa in Canggu.

    “They had also conduct photo shoots in the Bali Zoo, in Tabanan and in a hotel area in Seminyak,” Soleh explained.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Teo View Post
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...oto-shoot.html

    Americans, Canadians deported
    for illegal photo shoot

    You may need a WORK PERMIT!!
    But their president at the most recent summit invited more foreign investors and to call him if got trouble.

    Obviously their civil servants are not listening to their president

  8. #8
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    I don't think some folks here are being fair to the Indonesian authorities.

    When you walk into some place and just snap a few photos, generally it is ok. But if you haul in serious gear and a crew to do a commercial shoot, then you should jolly well ask for permission. Same is true of say a restaurant here, same is true of a country. If others have successfully done it, it means that there are proper channels and procedures.

  9. #9
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    But their president at the most recent summit invited more foreign investors and to call him if got trouble.
    Obviously their civil servants are not listening to their president
    Obviously you don't know the difference between an investor and a group of people doing something that is not covered by the tourist visa they only had.
    EOS

  10. #10
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I don't think some folks here are being fair to the Indonesian authorities.
    When you walk into some place and just snap a few photos, generally it is ok. But if you haul in serious gear and a crew to do a commercial shoot, then you should jolly well ask for permission. Same is true of say a restaurant here, same is true of a country. If others have successfully done it, it means that there are proper channels and procedures.
    Agreed. Even the website of US State Department has a clear advice that everything beyond a tourist stay is subject to approval and respective visa.
    http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...indonesia.html
    The websites of the Indonesian authorities might not be that clear and consistent, though. It helps to contact the embassy straight away.
    EOS

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Red Dot Island
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Strictly speaking when any one go to a foreign country for a meeting at their corporate office should have a work permit. Nowadays this act is mostly forgiven but to avoid trouble visitor not supposed to have their own working desk. The guest technically can work temporarily at meeting room or at their hotel room, but not supposed to have a working desk in the office.
    The immigration will get tick off if your competitor reports of the guest working there. A company sent in a foreign auditor to check on the books of the joint venture company and the person got audited not happy about it and he reported to immigration. The auditor got deported immediately and bar to visit the country for number of years.
    ___________________________________
    Olympus EM-1, Pen 3, Nikon D7000 & D800

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Strictly speaking when any one go to a foreign country for a meeting at their corporate office should have a work permit. Nowadays this act is mostly forgiven but to avoid trouble visitor not supposed to have their own working desk. The guest technically can work temporarily at meeting room or at their hotel room, but not supposed to have a working desk in the office.
    The immigration will get tick off if your competitor reports of the guest working there. A company sent in a foreign auditor to check on the books of the joint venture company and the person got audited not happy about it and he reported to immigration. The auditor got deported immediately and bar to visit the country for number of years.
    But no one reports them?


  13. #13
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,106

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I don't think some folks here are being fair to the Indonesian authorities.

    When you walk into some place and just snap a few photos, generally it is ok. But if you haul in serious gear and a crew to do a commercial shoot, then you should jolly well ask for permission. Same is true of say a restaurant here, same is true of a country. If others have successfully done it, it means that there are proper channels and procedures.
    AGREE !!! Lets be real here.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,106

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    But no one reports them?

    Where is this !!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    Where is this !!
    $50 I'll drive you there plus introduction to lady of your choice.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,106

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    $50 I'll drive you there plus introduction to lady of your choice.
    LMAO !!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  17. #17
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Strictly speaking when any one go to a foreign country for a meeting at their corporate office should have a work permit. Nowadays this act is mostly forgiven but to avoid trouble visitor not supposed to have their own working desk. The guest technically can work temporarily at meeting room or at their hotel room, but not supposed to have a working desk in the office.
    The immigration will get tick off if your competitor reports of the guest working there. A company sent in a foreign auditor to check on the books of the joint venture company and the person got audited not happy about it and he reported to immigration. The auditor got deported immediately and bar to visit the country for number of years.
    There is no general rule except: One should check thoroughly the visa regulations and permitted activities in the destination country. While some countries do not even allow meetings in any office facilities, others do allow up to consulting activities, meetings, presentations and speeches - as long as there is no payment of any money. (This would touch the tax laws on top of the visa regulations.) Example: Australia. The tourist visa does allow certain forms of business related activities. I do not need any business visa if I visit the office of my company in Cyberjaya. But doing the same in India requires a business visa.
    EOS

  18. #18
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    It also means that photogs who offer 1) photo tours and 2) overseas wedding photo shoot need to ensure that they get the appropriate permits and licenses. And this is sure gonna damage some businesses....
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

  19. #19
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,106

    Default Re: PhotoOGs Warning: Taking photos in indonesia? Better read this article

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    It also means that photogs who offer 1) photo tours and 2) overseas wedding photo shoot need to ensure that they get the appropriate permits and licenses. And this is sure gonna damage some businesses....
    The pro's will alr do this... or they should if the serious.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  20. #20
    Moderator PhotoProZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    The pro's will alr do this... or they should if the serious.
    You may be surprised. 😌 hope that this serves as a reminder to many fellow photogs.
    I am IN LOVE with my Camera....
    flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •