Thread: Lens Fungus

Default Lens Fungus

If there is slight fungus on the lens is it possible to prevent the fungus development by using dry cabinet? Or the fungus will keep growing dispite low humidity of the dry cabinet?

TIA
    cheers

Default Re: Lens Fungus

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    If there is slight fungus on the lens is it possible to prevent the fungus development by using dry cabinet? Or the fungus will keep growing dispite low humidity of the dry cabinet?

TIA
    cheers

Well...a dry cabinet is a good thing to have to slow the on-set of fungus. The key word really is to "slow".

A dry cabinet is not able to totally prevent the growth of fungus from happening nor will it stop further growth once you detect it and you go buy a dry cabinet to place your lens of camera in it. Especially in our climate, fungus thrive quite easily. The fact that you have to take your equipment out of the dry cabinet to use every now and again means it will come into contact with moist, fungus spores and other dirt particles...etc.

If you do have fungus in your lens...get it to the shop as soon as you can to get it remove. Usually there are fungus in other part of the lens or camera body. Problem is you only start to notice it when it gets on to the glass. This is often the case when you hold it up against the light to see into glass elements. So even if you only see tiny specks of it...it does not mean that is ALL there is...usually nearby to that spot will be more growth.

When you detect it earlier...it is fine but if this starts to growth for a long period of time it starts to not just take root and spread..it starts to eat your lens' multicoating!...meaning that special anti-reflection or "ED" coating..what ever special coating it has will be 'eaten' away...and even when you clean up the lens (camera)...those parts that use to have fungus will now have no coating or sustain damages that fog that portion of the glass.

So, get the dry cabinet or at least a dry box with silicon beans to absorb all moisture. Keep your gear in there after you have finished using your equipment. It goes without saying that you should also open up the camera/lens to blow out the inside shutter area, flip-up mirror, CCD diode and also clean the metal locking male and female portion of the lens and camera. With a very lightly wet cloth ( or a special evaporating liquid) clean the outer portion of the camera and lens and use a dry cloth to ensure all moist are gone and then pack it into your dry cabinet or box. You will still get fungus...like death and taxes...it will never go away

You can only slow it down save yourself 'some' cost in sending it into the shop (too often) to have it clean out. But send it when you have to to save your equipment from fungus related damages.
    Last edited by sammy888; 15th September 2005 at 11:11 AM.

thanks for the advise.

cheers!!

For me , my current LPL dry cabinet has been serving me since 1994.I have never encounter anyone who tell me that he still get fungus after he put the lenses or camera in the cabinet religiously after every outing.

In fact , I will take out the stuff inside every now and then to let it 'air' a bit as the dry cabinet is too 'dry' after sometime .

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    thanks for the advise.

cheers!!
    No problem...hopefully like me you only have to send it to the shop once every few years for a check up and some basic cleaning only heeh...

Make friends with someone who has ready access to an x-ray machine if you want to kill all fungal spores! SERIOUS. Fungal spores respond easily to gamma radiation, and such a move is virtually harmless to your lenses ... unless you're using special scientific lenses, some of which use glass that has some radioactive properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Make friends with someone who has ready access to an x-ray machine if you want to kill all fungal spores! SERIOUS. Fungal spores respond easily to gamma radiation, and such a move is virtually harmless to your lenses ... unless you're using special scientific lenses, some of which use glass that has some radioactive properties.
    Wonderful idea - X-ray to kill the fungual spores! Any idea a milder ray like UV could help, perhaps takes a longer UV exposure? Like putting the lens in the sun to kill the spores. Then, as many of the lens elements are plastic, there might be some deformation and risk. In the sun for an hour or so might be good enough?
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Like that may be can consider once in a while bring the camera and lens out of Singapore, since custom check always use x-ray to check the luggage.

'Sun' the lenses ... for an hour? Hmm ... not sure if that's really effective. Assuming if it is, the glass elements will be in pristine condition (presumably) but ... may risk damaging the plastic elements. And if the lens is brought back to room temperature right after the sun tan, wouldn't condensation set in? That would be really bad for the lens .. and really good for rapid fungal growth, isn't it? Well, I'm just guessing ....

Anyone tried this approach before?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Belly
    'Sun' the lenses ... for an hour? Hmm ... not sure if that's really effective. Assuming if it is, the glass elements will be in pristine condition (presumably) but ... may risk damaging the plastic elements. And if the lens is brought back to room temperature right after the sun tan, wouldn't condensation set in? That would be really bad for the lens .. and really good for rapid fungal growth, isn't it? Well, I'm just guessing ....

Anyone tried this approach before?
    Anyone want to try to sun their Nikon Silent Wave VR lens and come back to tell us if it helps? hehehehe.......

Personally..anyone who tells me his lens he wants to sell me is in great condition and no fungus as he/she suns his lens...I will tell them to keep it. heheheh... And what UV are we talking about here?.... UV can penetrate the lens compartment and kill the fungus and spores? If so...I think fungus will not be a problem for us if we shoot during the day time..as the sun with its ray will be out in full force killing all the fungus in the air and all building and every where heheheh/......sorry..did not mean to poke fun at this theory.....Also the type of UV we get is a "watered down" version of the more deadly version that is coming from the sun. Thanks to the Ozone layer around our earth and also due to some other protective layer just at the edge of the earth what gets through to us is alot more harmless to us and all living things including fungus spore and germs. That is why, the green peace people are trying to get the world to save the ozone as the layer is getting thinner, it is getting more dangerous to all living things too.

I have rarely have any fungus problem in all my years of playing with cameras... For SURE I can tell you....the best way to get fungus on your gear is to NOT TOUCH IT AT ALL...don;t move it about, dont fire it up and dont clean it down and blow the lens and body once in a while. Alot of dust settling on CCD or whatever part of a gear's horizontal and also letting the spores settling on a flat surface and take root is when you totally never touch your gear. Same with your other items you own. Ever bought a new pair of shoe and then you stop wearing your old shoe and you just kept it in your closet witout even touching it....see after one month or so..it start to have fungu and alot of dust. But the shoe you now use every day...even if you dont clean it..might have some firt due to where you step about but there is no fungus. Same with camera gear....if you use your gear enough time each month or so or at least take it out to clean and play with it abit...fungus hardly grown. For me that is the way has always been. The dry box is just to help that process along but not my main safeguard. I have heard of alot of people on other forum who claim the same thing too. So long as you do handle your gear often enought..it might get dirty or chipped off paint but you rarely hear anyone getting fungu with their glass. If they do..it is mostly likely they are being use in extreme situation like shooting during a raning out...etc what journist might have to endure to get their shot but for most of us hobbist...our gear is still pretty "virgin" even after a year of use...unless are totally a messy lazy person who cant be bothered to even clean yoru gear before storing it back...and trust me..I have friends like that...in teh begining clean like there is some invisible 'blood" tainted on their new toy but after about 6 months...go out shoot and come back throw the camera a side even if they have adry box...or they did not even "recharge" the silicon gels when it start to turn light blue. heheh...

So what am I ranting on about again....well nothing lah..just in a poke fun mode while eating my wanton mee at the office heheheh....

Oh and by the way....using the hospital x-ray machine is not the same thing as the x-ray machine at the airport just because they share the same name for a radiation equipment that can see through objects. At one time some of you might recall,you can not pass your film through the airport xray machine because the kind of radiation it shoots out is so distruptive and powerful that it can penatrate the film canister and react with the chemical dye on the films and I think to some extend it was also a hazard to people operating the machine for long periods.But as techonology progresses on there are other kind of energy or safer form of radiating emission that can be use to penetrate object and form a picture against seom receiving plate or captur device.Thus they managed to develope one that can do the same job but is much more milder that even film is safe.

Hosipital's X-ray ..old ones still use the old type I guess ( i have not had an xray in years) while you are in one room, everyone else is in another with lead lining when they turn it on for a fraction of a time to let it go through your body to hit a special film plate to imprint your body's interior. And we all know we can not have more then one xray session for every 6 months. But with some of the latest xray machine development they would use other safer form like sound sonar to other forms of emission that does not have deadly radiation. Since radiation is no longer a problem with such newer machines, it will not be a threat to us AND fungus and other bacterias.....just a bit of techie talk talk. heheh
    Last edited by sammy888; 16th September 2005 at 03:20 PM.