View Poll Results: What is ur fave third party brand?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sigma

69 42.33%
  • Tamron

43 26.38%
  • Tokina

23 14.11%
  • Other (Sorry if I left them out)

2 1.23%
  • I dun use 3rd party~!

26 15.95%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is ur fave third party brand?

Default Re: What is ur fave third party brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Interestingly, an Aussie professional photographer I know who teaches uses Sigma lenses quite a lot (possibly more than the original Canon lenses). He hasn't encountered fogging. You should note that he is based in Sydney which is often cooler/colder than Singapore.

Thanks for the information about 3rd party lenses used at Mt. Everest. Generally, cold weather is less destructive/decadent than hot weather.
    Sydney, love their weather, was there for 6yrs+. The weather was so dry that none of my video tapes have moulds on them but once brought them back to Singapore, the tapes can't survive more than 6 mths.

The weather here is not lens/tape friendly.
    Last edited by billpepsi; 15th September 2005 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Sydney, love their weather, was there for 6yrs+. The weather was so dry that none of my video tapes have moulds on them but once brought them back to Singapore, the tapes can't survive more than 6 mths.

The weather here is not lens/tape friendly.
    Ya Agree... Too Humid... Guess that all the dehumidfiers have to work harder here than at Sydney... Lol

tokina......built like a tank!!! solid..

does anyone have any complaints about general tamron lenses? care to share....

Quote Originally Posted by imouyang
    Ya Agree... Too Humid... Guess that all the dehumidfiers have to work harder here than at Sydney... Lol

Ehh... dehumidify what man?

I don't think you can find dry-cabinets or silica gel sold in camera shops of Sydney. I'm even more sure of that in Melbourne. I encountered 1 camera salesman in Melbourne who didn't know what silica gel was! Looking around in Melbourne's photo shops and labs, I haven't seen any of them selling those dark blue "jewels" or air-tight boxes often seen in S'pore.

I'm not sure about Sydney but in Melbourne, most (if not all) homes/hotels must have a heater but not necessary have air-con. That tells you a lot about the weather here.

In simple English, it's drier and cooler here.

That could be the reason why that Sydney-based Aussie photographer's harem of Sigma lenses haven't fogged.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 16th September 2005 at 11:36 PM.

hard fight between Schneider and Rodenstock

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Interestingly, an Aussie professional photographer I know who teaches uses Sigma lenses quite a lot (possibly more than the original Canon lenses). He hasn't encountered fogging. You should note that he is based in Sydney which is often cooler/colder than Singapore.

Thanks for the information about 3rd party lenses used at Mt. Everest. Generally, cold weather is less destructive/decadent than hot weather.

I think Aus weather is good enough to encounter such problems.

Yah totally agree with Zplus - If you are not the type who only uses Original make.
    I too like the quality of the Sigma EX HSM range - Good and not too taxing on the pocket.

Tokina also pretty good and like being describe by other "built like Tank" . If don't mind the weight, can be seriously considered. Only shortcoming, IMO, its its limited range of lenses available.
    Last edited by NE clicks clicks; 22nd January 2006 at 03:53 PM.

the question must be changed to "what third party lens you like". I like my lens a lot, the Tamron 24-135. But doesn't mean i like Tamron. Same goes with other brand.

Surprising the poll shows the opposite, If left with no choice of original manufacturer my preference will probably be Tokina, Tamron and Sigma. All 3 manufacturer had been around for sometime and IMHO Tokina has the best build quality and good lens design followed by Tamron, however the newer Tamron are not build as well as their older SP lens. Sigma to me had not improve their build quality since they started.

I like sigma cuz it's cheap. but sadly their F2.8 and Nikon's F2.8 is different. Sigma all seem to be -0.3-0.7 darker. everytime i swap lens i have to remember that

Deregistered

In my point of view as a newbies, I will preferred Tamron to some other brands.Example: that 28-75mm F2.8. I'm sure many CSer know the background of it. Affordable & yet to say give good result as compared to original lens.. Generally speaking,tamron is quite a reputable brand here in S'pore. Not too heavy also.. Imagine to carry a "machine gun" when taking photo is very inconvience as when u even need a monopod to support that "machine gun".. For me as I ain't a rich man to buy those original lens,no choice I gonna buy tamron lens to substitute it.No doubt 3rd party lens can't compare to those high end original 1,BUT at least it's still not so bad lor.. Himself needs to know what he really wants as in this world there's no such thing as "U want cheap,u want best , u want everything".. Then u better go & produce 1 urself lor...

only for lense? ...... how about 3M for their cleaning cloth, pretty not bad..

Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    only for lense? ...... how about 3M for their cleaning cloth, pretty not bad..
    What about Metz for their flashes?

Wow.. such an old thread!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th February 2006 at 05:03 PM.

Some of the newer Nikon G lenses are not great, especially their AF-S 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED.

Tamron for me cos i didn't like Sigma lens due to easy fogging and lens coating fading. I only own 1 Tamron lens...28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Macro.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

So far I got two sigma lenses and one tamron

Fav 3rd party brand will be sigma..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

I still vote for Tamron.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

I used to own a Sigma SA-300n films SLR and lenses.

Man, I used to criticise them so heavily because of their lack of QC in their products, and the service centre was so damn hard to find.

And now, I'm still buying Sigma lenses. How ironic. Haha!

70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG
    10-20mm EX DC

Good value for money lah. If I buy original brand, may have to sell some of my internal organs on B&S to raise the money.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast